Long stay fishing

A

Andrew Miller

I am keen to try out long stay fishing. i.e. 24hrs or more on the bank. Apart from a bivvy, bedchair and sleeping bag, what else would you recommend as essential for long stay fishing.
Any useful hints for night fishing (all species not just carp) too would be a great help.
Windy

P

Paul Houghton

Yeah, wait till the summer, it's freezing at the minute and I'm sure the chances of catching are low.

Other than that make sure you get tackled up and prepared in daylight....it makes things a lot easier..

P

Paul Williams

Windy, you have already mentioned some of the extra's, most of the rest are luxuries! a small stove and brew kit and of course cup help, as does a small saucepan and/or fry pan, but it's all down to how much scoff you peronally need. I think most of us eat to much when fishing, we are hardly burning the cals bivvied up on a gravel pit!
What i tend to do is when making a nice home made Stew , curry or similar is to freeze a decent portion in one of those tupperware containers, this type of meal can then be heated in the pan, it's far better than make do ready meals in my opinion!! i usually have this as an evening meal, a few biscuits with a brew does me during the day.
You may think why is he waffling on about scoff? if you feel comfy on a long session you will fish better and you probably know what tackle to take.
A decent bergan is a must, and practice packing it so that you know where everything is...in the dark.
Take a nosey around outdoor type shops for things like stuff sacs for your sleeping bag and clothing, it all helps to make space. They sell loads of useful gadgets, but watch the prices, you can always improvise on things like containers.
One thing that is so easy to forget is the water, but only take enough for your needs...it's heavy!!
If i am definatly staying put in the one swim for a while i do like a little reading material, usually fishing related, (anything else and i might get too homesick...if you get my gist!!)
Make a tick list of what you need and use it each time and then you can adjust it to suit your personal needs.
Hope that helps a little mate.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Windy, Dave Colclough is selling a Shakespeare two-man Cyprydome in the Classifieds for ?20 plus postage. I've seen it and it's a real good buy. He's also selling a better and more modern Cyprydome for ?60.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
I don't do a lot of nights in bivvy, but I know a man who does. A friend I work with spends a week at a time in one and his biggest tip is to do everything you can to stay dry. Keep your clothes dry and have spare clothes in case you get wet. There is nothing more uncomfortable than being wet for a long period, plus it can make you feel artificially cold. His other tip for long stays was to eat quality food, not survive on pot noodles type things.

S

Steve Baker

The most important thing if your doing a 24 hour strect is the beer. preferably a 24 pack of budwieser, carefull though if your driving.....

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

As allready mentioned keeping yourself,your gear and your bivvy clean dry and comfortable are the most important things.As soon as all this goes pear shaped your fishing will suffer and you will want to go home.Believe me I know!ask the boys who know me how long I have done in bivvies!

A

Andrew Miller

Thank everyone for the tips and hints. The hardest one for me will be the accurate casting!! Till I am looking forward to trying it and have just e-mail about the bivvy Graham was talking about.

P

Paul Williams

Hey Windy, hope you tried to haggle him down a fiver!!!!!