Sticky drag

A

Andrew Thomas

My Shimano superGTM4000 has developed a "sticky" drag after I gave it it's last rinse and spray with WD40 last week.

Anybody got any ideas on the likely cause and if I can diy service the drag? Or should I send it away for servicing? It's about 3 years old now.

C

Chris Bishop

WD has a solvent in it which can attack some sorts of plastic.

A

Andrew Thomas

I've always used WD40 before now without apparent problem. I was wondering if any grit had got into the drag mechanism.

B

Barry Kneller

Good product tho' it is, WD40 can cause lots of problems - don't use it on anything that has rubber 'o' rings or rubber seals, it's based on white spirit with some other magic additives & causes certain grades of rubber & rubber like materials to swell & deform.

A

Andrew Thomas

The angling press are constantly (it seems) running articles on reel maintenance that basically advise the use of WD40 or it's equivalent after a wash and dry.

Is this then wrong? And if so then what should I use? Or do I give up and send it for a service?

B

Barry Kneller

When I've been sea fishing I always wash my reels in warm soapy water & then rinse under the hot tap (not too hot tho') I used to spray them with WD40 but found that if you leave the reels to drain overnight you don't need it. I never used WD on the internals of the reels. Used to carry some with me for those occasions when you lubrication problems but always washed it off the internal parts when I got home.

C

Chris Bishop

I don't think there's any point servicing most modern fixed spool reels. If something breaks or wears out, send it off for a service, otherwise leave well alone.

They're much more fiddly these days compared to the old Mitchell 300s and 410s, which even a dunce like me could strip down and put back together again.

I tried lubricating the line rollers on some Shimanos and ended up with a vicious circle where that just attracted more grit and crap, so it stuck even worse.

I've also had problems with the handles going loose when I've taken the retaining screw off and oiled a reel that got wet when a rod went in the lake and started sounding a bit funny.

Must admit I fish with the drags screwed up tight and backwind anyway as I've never had a clutch I could trust.

Then again I usually use 30lbs line.

C

Chris Bishop

Sorry Andrew - missed the point. They probably reccommend WD as it has a water repellant as well as a lubricant. The problem is there's also a strong solvent which can free up rusted nuts (nasty...) and I reckon it probably makes your teflon/plastic/nylon washers in the drag chain stick.

I found a really good reel service guy in Devon a couple of weeks back when one of my multipliers packed up.

Don't know if he could sort you out - Paul Bright 07946 733181 or www.reelvalue.co.uk

I

Ian Whittaker

Andrew, if its a fighting drag take the screw out of the rear and remove all the bits in order.Clean with water & detergent then dry. Spray with WD 40 and wipe off excess. Reassemble making sure all the bits go back in the right order.

A

Andrew Thomas

As a postscript to this I sent the reel to Shimano servicing, they rang today to ok the cost....?15....I asked about diy servicing, they said just wipe down occasionally with damp cloth (no detergent), dry thoroughly, and DON'T use WD40 as it knackers the bearings.

Should get it back tomorrow after posting it Monday so no complaints about the service provided.

R

Ron Clay

When I boufght my Shimanos it said in the instructions to wipe down with WD 40.

Maybe they want me to buy new reels. Nothing untoward has happened.

P

Paul Thompson

I'm really glad i've read this thread, specially as I gave one of my baitrunners a soapy bath yesterday, then doused it in WD40......AAARRRGHHHH...
Hi ho, hi ho, its off to felindre it goes, whistle.......

B

Buttocks Bullard

The advice I received was to keep well clear of WD40 for reels. Apart from it having a small corrosive element, it also attracts dust and particles like a magnet. This is all very well on the outside, but not on the inside.

A

Andrew Thomas

Reel arrived back from Shimano this morning, I sent it Monday morning. Seems like new again.

T

The Monk

I've also had some good experiences of Shimano, they have a first class customer/back up service!