Angling books

T

The Monk

I've always been a great lover of books, brought up on Mr Crabtree, Mr Cherry and Jim, loved BB and Walker and brought into the world of serious carp fishing through Jack Hilton and his amazing "Quest for Carp", currently reading a lot of the newer material, none technical stuff, also enjoy books about waters like Redmire and Savay and the chaps who fish these places, John Harry's book was of particular interest, while of the earlier ones, I enjoyed Jim Gibbinsons "Carp" from the Richard Walker series, wise someone would do an history of Cassien.

Whats yours?

S

sam oddy

Just finished a compilation of stories by Chris Turnbull, Big Fish from Famous Waters.
Thoroughly enjoyable read - even enjoyed the pike/zander bits which aren't normally to my taste.

Also must admit to a bit of nostalgia as the tome was published in 89/90.

Interesting to note that in the epilogue Mr Turnbull speculated that perhaps catfish angling would take off in the 90's.

Cheers, Sam

C

Chris Bishop

Stephen Harper's Broadland Pike - truly inspirational stuff.

R

Ron Clay

Four books for me.

"Drop Me A Line" by Ingham and Walker

Once you pick it up you can't put it down. Absolutely brilliant.

"Fishing for Big Pike" by Webb and Rickards

Truly a classic

"In Search of Big Fish" by Frank Guttfield

A contemporary of myself. The stories inspired me in the 60s.

"Advanced Coarse Fishing" by Graham Marsden

The last of the classic books in my opinion. The story of Graham and the old guy on the canal fishing for big roach is wonderfully vivid. I knew an old guy just like that.

T

The Monk

Yes Sam, Chris is an excellent writer, I enjoyed that book too! I like Rob Maylins books, I think he writes well and I also like Tim Paisleys work, especially some of his classics like Kettle Mill and Twenty Four Hours?

This McWallet geezer also did a good one (if you want to send me a signed hardback Mr Marsden, I'll tell everyone how good it is), I've only got the softbacked edition? Oh waht was the print run by the way?

T

The Monk

Yes, Grank Gutfield was an excellent writer, what was that book by J W (the trent Otter)?

T

The Monk

Chris Yates nad Hutchy have produced some good works also!

R

Ron Clay

"My Fishing Days and Fishing Ways" by Trent Otter.

I would give much, even go without food for a month to get a copy of this great classic.

Does anyone know where I could get this book.

I have asked Medlar Press to re-publish it on several occasions.

R

Rodney Wrestt

I enjoyed "A passion for angling" the companion book to the t.v. series.

R

Ron Clay

Oh by the way Br Nicholas, I have a signed first edition of "Advanced Coarse Fishing"

T

Tony Carter

i'm bored at work so i thought i'd join in if thats alright ??
I would like to add to the list
red letter days - a compilation of angling authors written for b venables
big fish angling by t miles
and chasing dreams by t miles

R

Ron Clay

I've got virtually all Tony Miles books. Very good reads they certainly are.

The thing about angling books is that they are like a fine wine, the older they get, the more enjoyable they are to read.

Br Nicholas, Who is Grank Gutfield?

J

Jon Moores

Casting at the Sun and almost any of John Gierach's books would figure highly for me. Of the more 'how to' style then Falkus's Sea Trout fishing stands above most, though the Morgan and Harris Sea Trout book is close. Strange (or not to a fan) how Sea Trout have inspired two such books.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I fully agree with Ron about Angling Books getting better with age, especially as I collect them.

My constant night fishing companion is a 1st. edition (too tatty for the bookshelf) of The Fisherman's Bedside Book by "BB"
Before turning out the light I nearly always read a favourite chapter, or two.

One of the great quotes in this book is:
"The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours, lights and shades these I saw.
Look ye also while life lasts"

Every morning when I throw back the bivvy doors this quote comes immediately to mind.

For me, it sort of puts the "fishing" back into perspective.

R

Richard Drayson

My favourites are:-

Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing, A Passion For Angling, The Deepening Pool by Yates, Search For Big Chub by Tony Miles, Successful Roach Fishing by David Carl Forbes and Big Chub And Roach by John Etherington.

R

Ron Clay

Peter,

BB (Denys Watkins-Pitchford) did indeed write some wonderful angling books. However for me, his best work was not to do with fishing, but the English countryside and wildlife in particular. My favourite of all BBs stories is "Manka - The Sky Gipsy" the life story of an albino pink footed wild goose. Second would come "Wild Lone" the story of a Pytchley fox.

His writings epitomised all that the English countryside used to be.

I knew that countryside the way BB described it for just a few sweet years.

B

Bob Watson

Anybody know where I can get a copies of The deepening Pool and A passion for angling, always wanted to read them.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ron,

Again, I totally agreewith your views on Denys Watkins-Pitchford's works.

I too knew the countryside in that way, but for sadly too few years.

Personally, I preferred Wild Lone to Manks, but hey, that is what makes us all different.

In many ways some of Chris Yates' books have come quite close, given the difference in style and era.
Indeed, the "Passion" TV series was almost as good a country diary as it was a fishing experience. IMHO.

T

The Monk

Ok Frank Guttfield, this computer just cant spell, I remember your copy of Grahams book Ron, dont you remember I tried to pinch it off you last christmas when you were drunk, it would look nice in my collection along side that Ariel Match reel?

Leigh Moffatt had a copy of J W Martins book, I had the privillage of reading it once,

Yes got all Tony Miles books, excellent, great fan, lovely chap also, he even talks to me occasionally!

David Carl Forbes was another excellent, I've got a book here Ron called Night Fishing by Gordon Wood, didnt Gordon start the original Barbel Catchers? I know Eric knew him well.

The bedside Fishermans Book, what a classic, I have one of the originals, still in reasonable condition, Wood Pool was another excellent Deny works and of course Confessions of a Carpfisher.

Garry Procter

Reaction score
I wasn't going to join this thread, as I thought it's just too hard for me to single out one or two. At home I have one shelf dedicated to my "special" angling books (special to me, I mean). But Monk reminded me that on there is David Carl Forbes' "Catch a Big Fish". Got it new when I was 13 or 14. It's got to ba a favourite.

Actually, I'm travelling to the UK next week and I will be bringing along just one fishing book to read on the flight, so I'm being sort of forced to make a decision! And it will have to be Chris' "Casting at the Sun". SO there's two. However, I could go on and on and on and on.....