Black Bass

B

Bob Watson

Big mouth billy bass, mates got one but the batteries ran out, so I suppose it's extinct!

S

steve southwick

on a serious note i lived in dorset for 3yrs in the early 90s and the club lake i fished nr wareham was supposed to have some in but in 3years fishing never saw one
oh and my big mouth billy bass is still live and kicking and scaring the sh*** out of my moggies lol

T

The Monk

Thank for that information Steve, I've never caught a Black Bass but have read they are a brackish water specie and used to be common in certain locations in Britain?

S

steve southwick

they were supposed to have been stocked in the early eighties, do u know what there
life ecspectancy is

R

Ron Clay

What sort of Black Bass?

There are basically two species: Large Mouth, Micropterus salmoides and Small Mouth: Micropterus dolemeu.

Large Mouth like warm water and are mainly found in lakes. They do like a bit of salt too. Sub tropical climates suit them very well.

Small Mouth Bass like both running and still water and prefer a cool climate. They are truly a superb species and one of the hardest fighting fish in freshwater in the world. Without doubt they would find conditions in UK rivers to their liking, but I would not like to see them stocked here. They took over some of the Western Cape rivers and many of the superb Barbus species there are almost extinct.

However I miss them very much indeed.

T

Tony wainwright

I caught a big mouth bass whilst in Canada.
Trolled an 8" plug and according to my guide it was a decent size at just under 5lb. It fought a hell of a lot better than the equivalent size pike. Great fight though, jumping and tail walking. It tasted great after we barbecued it!
I dont see why we couldnt have them in this country as the lake I fished is frozen for 4 months each year. So weather wouldnt be a problem.

R

Ron Clay

Bass are superb eating of course, better than any trout. Are you sure that was a Largemouth Bass Tony. Canada is a bit too cool for them normally.

Did it have a red eye - a bit like a tench, or not?

Was the dorsal fin joined or seperate?

T

The Monk

No I'm not talking about large mouth or small mouth bass, but the Black Bass, as depict in the Brook Bond Tea picture card series of British Freshwater Fishes in the 60,s, I think there is only one type of black bass, but I'll dig out some of my old fishing books and check Ron?

T

The Monk

Looks like I’ve made a mistake Ron, so much for a Masters in Ecology? There are two species of Black Bass Large Mouth Black Bass (micropterus salmoides and Small Mouth Black Bass (Micropterrus dollomieu), which of these was found in British waters?

Interestingly the Bullhead belongs to the same order as Blenny and Goby, in which there are Siberian and four horned species, while roach and barbel species vary immensely across Europe and your polish barbell could have been a different fish than the English ones, we have barbus plebjus valenciennes (Italian), barbus meridionalis risso (Southern), barbus comiza steindachachner (Iberian) and barbus meridionalis petenyi (Semling), interesting stuff eh?

This is according to Muus Bent J & Dahlstrom Preben (1971)The Freshwater Fishes of Britain and Europe, more speciation has probably occurred since then though?

R

Ron Clay

It was Micropterus dolomieu that was found in UK waters. A pit near Milndenhall I think. Only USAF officers are allowed to fish it.

Who fancies a night attack at this pit armed with nets and plastic worms. We could then chuck a few into the Middle Level..:eek:)

T

Tony wainwright

Ron, I couldnt honestly say whether it was or wasnt as I cant remember. The local I was fishing with told me what it was.
The lake was actually a lake on Prince Edward island which itself sits in Lake Ontario. Its just about as far south as you can go in Canada, part of the St lawrence seaway I think.
As for fishing Mildenhall, normally I would say it would be a doddle as the yanks in general couldnt guard my shed.
Right at the present moment Ron I think you would find yourself looking at the wrong end of an MP5. Security would be tighter than some peoples wallets!! No names mentioned......

G

Gerry Castles

Largemouth bass exist in large numbers in both southern and eastern Canada, particularly in the St. Lawrence and Lake Ontario systems. There are also six members of the (black) bass family not two.

Largemouth
Small mouth
Suwannee
Spotted
Redeye
Guadalupe

R

Ron Clay

By the way there is another species of bass - Micropterus punctulatis - called the Spotted Bass. We had a few in South Africa but I never knew whether I ever caught one. They look very much like a M. salmoides but don't grow as big.

All the American Black basses belong to the American Sunfish family which includes Bluegills and Crappies. These fish make nests amongst indentations in the gravelly shallows of lakes or rivers in case of M. dolomieu.

The male stands guard of the eggs and fry whilst and before they have hatched. He will defend the young with his life, even against the females who have a tendency to eat their own young.

Rather unique what?

R

Ron Clay

Thanks for your input Gerry.

Are the Florida strain of large mouth a seperate species or just a local mutation.

We had some very big ones in KwaZulu Natal, up to 17 lbs.

R

Ron Clay

And I miss these fish like hell!!!

They truly are some of the most sporting rod and line fish in the world. What character. No wonder the Americans are so enthusiastics about them.

T

The Monk

Many thanks for that Gerry, very interesting, so the list you have given is the Black Bass variety, I've caught Bass in the St laurence and Middle East, are these Likely to be a different specie than the Black Bass or all Bass called Black Bass, I'm confused and dont have an overseas identification book?

T

The Monk

Sorry gerry, I misread your thread, I see you are differentuating Black Bass from other variants/species.