Otter attack - apparently

stravic

Reaction score
otter attack apparently

Oh dear here we go again this problem is becoming all to common, there is a Angling club in Suffolk that has had to let go a water they have leased and stocked since 1948. But after some years of devastation by Otters and Cormorants the carnage was just to much. .....See Angling Times for full story.

Perhaps the photograph of that fish can be sent to Country File!... I wonder what the reaction at the BBC WOULD BE?!!.

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score

Perhaps the photograph of that fish can be sent to Country File!... I wonder what the reaction at the BBC WOULD BE?!!.

I wouldn't, it would take them 10 seconds to realise it's been photoshopped. I know carp anglers think they are gods, but look, I can hold a carp with no hands?????? :eek:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
He's got blue gloves on - the right hand fingers are visible. The left hand is somewhere in the gaping cavity!

The bad one

Reaction score
He's got blue gloves on - the right hand fingers are visible. The left hand is somewhere in the gaping cavity!

Blow it up to 500 times Mark thats his suit. And when was the last time you ever saw a a carp held like that without its belly concaving? It's photoshopped Mark!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I can see the gloved fingers clearly (one finger either side of the anal fin) though can only double the image's size before it pixellates. I do know that dead carp are stiff though something to do with rigor mortis. I've retrieved 30lb dead carp and they aren't the same as live ones!

stravic

Reaction score
I wouldn't, it would take them 10 seconds to realise it's been photo shopped. I know carp anglers think they are gods, but look, I can hold a carp with no hands?????? :eek:

I learnt something, thanks fellas but I am afraid I have to ask what is meant by photoshopped,

Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Photoshop is an image manipulation tool, and in this case Phil is suggesting that someone has created an image by adding an image of a gnawed carp to one of someone squatting down. Possible but quite why that would be necessary in this case is something I'm not sure about.

stooby

Reaction score
I dont think there is a chance in hell of getting any puplic surport
of any kind of cull in the otter population.
tarka is to "friendly and loverble" for that.
think we've got to suck it and see

Tilman Bieselt

Reaction score
Yeah, looks like it´s PS´ed (photoshopped).

First clue: No one in their right mind would smile and/or holding a mangled fish that way for the camera.

Second clue: The age of the guy is 54 and the one on the picture really doesn´t look that age (ok, could be, but i would say the guy on the picture looks at least 10 years younger)

That doesn´t say, that this hasn´t happened, only that the picture just looks awkward.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
It is more than likely a **** lake to fish, so lets blame the Otter.

Photoshop or not, the otter is here to stay.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Can I chip in, in the interests of fairness and honesty.

Much as it grieves me, I have to agree with Archimedes (~ sorry Mark) on this one. I too have had a go with Photoshop to bring the picture out to a point where you clearly see the hands.

This is one where I have changed the colour to Marigolds, so you know what you're looking at.
wolfman-woody-albums-strange-things-seen-whilst-fishing-picture1753-damagedcarp.jpg

On this one, I have boosted the highlights and whacked the contrast up and you can see the right hand clearly and just see a finger and a half of the left, presumably the rest of the hand is in the cavity as Mark says.

wolfman-woody-albums-strange-things-seen-whilst-fishing-picture1754-damagedcarphigh.jpg

I have no doubt the picture is genuine, the story might be something else. Who knows.

PS to Mark - I was only joking. :)

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Either way, I found myself remembering then singing the words of this old song for the first time in 30 years a bit earlier -

The Eagles - Desperado

Desperado why don't you come to your senses?
You been out ridin' fences for so long now
Oh you're a hard one
I know that you got your reasons
These things that are pleasin' you
Can hurt you somehow

Don' you draw the queen of diamonds boy
She'll beat you if she's able
You know the queen of hearts is always your best bet

Now it seems to me some fine things
Have been laid upon your table
But you only want the ones that you can't get

Desperado, oh, you ain't gettin' no youger
Your pain and your hunger, they're drivin' you home
And freedom, oh freedom well, that's just some people talkin'
Your prison is walking through this world all alone

Don't your feet get cold in the winter time?
The sky won't snow and the sun won't shine
It's hard to tell the night time from the day
You're loosin' all your highs and lows
Ain't it funny how the feeling goes away?

Desperado, why don't you come to your senses?
Come down from your fences, open the gate
It may be rainin', but there's a rainbow above you
You better let somebody love you, before it's too late

Philip

Reaction score
I cant comment on wheter its photoshopped or not or the validity of the story but the damage to the fish in the picture is a good representation of Otter damage...

The bad one

Reaction score
Mark Rigor mortise sets in after 3 hours, reaches it's max at 12 and dissipates there after. Your not suggesting that is a freshly dead fish are you?

The off white flesh (Yes carp flesh is off white when fresh) has gone dark and started to putrefy (rot)
It's also been picked over by several birds and animals, beak marks are clearly visible around it's mouth.

Woody the highlight you "drawn out" near the head is hole in the branches of the fir tree behind him.
Now it's either got all of it's whole unseen side eaten out for him to have his hand inside it, and it looks like it's been evenly eaten out to me. So why can't we see his arm entering it's body cavity? Nop his arm, what we can see of it, is in line (just) with the even eaten out section.

And this baby is really holding this carp as well I guess. http://www.northwestcarp.co.uk/forums/carp-fishing-history/25447-old-skool-carper-hotshot.html :wh

Now correct me, but the story was run on the 29 of Jan, so assuming the fish death was reported some time that week. And we've just gone through the biggest freeze up we've had in 20 years, how did the otter(s) get through the lid of the stew pond the fish was in to kill it? :confused:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Phil,

Our lakes haven't been frozen the entire time. The fish farm is near Romsey and the link is to an estate near Ringwood: Avon Diary 2010

As you can see they were catching carp around 22/23 Jan which means the lakes were not frozen. Furthermore it's possible, even likely, that the stew ponds are river water fed from the Test so would not be frozen. We've had some very cold snaps but milder in between when the lakes have thawed.

I think we'll have to disagree; I don't understand why you think the photo has been doctored and can only say that I'm glad I'm not picking up an extremely dead and smelly carp! It will be interesting later on to see if AT or AM run the story, maybe next week if not this week.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's eye doesn't look like a long dead fish!
And that would have been the first to go if birds had a go at it.

Now tell us Phil, it must have been lying the other way and thus preserved the eye!!!:j:j

Methinks somebody is being contrary!

honslow

Reaction score
Won't see a lot of rigor mortis in that fish, it's still alive!!!!!! As for it being faked, some will claim anything to avoid facing reality. It was Simmo's best growing on facility, the one that has produced most of his big fish. It's now off-line. It was the third he has lost of ten sites.
I saw three otters come through my swim on Sunday evening. Face it, they're almost everywhere and they're eating lots of the big fish. I couldn't care less who doesn't believe it. In ten years even Phil will be forced to face the facts!!!!

honslow

Reaction score
The fish, together with seven others in a similar state, had to be killed after they were recovered from the water. Mark stocked 122 fish to grow on and recovered 17 marked fish alive which he moved to another site. The rest were either dead, dying or missing. I think it's aliens conducting experiments on fish.......