Brook Bond Picture Cards

T

The Monk

If anyone out there has a set of the about named could you post the detasils of the Black Bass card, as some of us think the editor of the collection could have made a mistake?

C

Chris Bishop

There were supposed to be a load in a pond on Mildenhall USAF Base.

T

The Monk

Cheers Gerry, great site mate!

Mildhall keeps coming up, wonder if I'll get in with my press pass?

S

sam oddy

I was back home in glorious Manchester at the end of August. For the sake of peace and quiet (and not a little bit of nostalgia) took the wife and friends to a craft fair at Capesthorne Hall.

Bloke had a stall selling framed collections of cigarette card including freshwater fish. Somewhat pricey at ?55 mind.

Amazing how things change after some twenty five years or so.... Capesthorne looks a lot smaller and much less appealing now. Sad.

Regards, Sam

T

The Monk

Yes Sam, I got that impression last time I visited the place, those cards are highly collectable now, anything from ?25 to ?75 and old books are even worst, I collect Collins New Naturalist and one of the ones I need is going at ?1200, bloody ridiculas, but as long as their are people to buy them?

K

Kevan Farmer

Any given item is only worth what somebody is willing to pay.....problem is that a lot of people are willing to pay silly amounts of money for things.

Kevan

T

The Monk

Gerry

I've just downloaded the picture cards from that website you gave me, I'm going to print them out and stick em in a book, they bring back some great memories, cheers

J

John McLaren

Gerry, thanks for the site info it is really good, except for the typos, but then you can't have everything! I was an avid collector of those early PG series but have none of the albums left so the website is a real nostalgia trip.

B

Bob Watson

Monk, visit that page again, scroll to bottom, look at the bottom address, it may amuse you

T

The Monk

I've printed my cards out now on top quality 250 gram paper high gloss, they look really great, I'm going to stick them in a frame and put them on the wall. I already have a set of the wills fishes which use to appear in cigarette packets, 25 in the set!

F

Fred Bonney

Monk,I've got 25 of a fifty set from Player's in a frame they look good.
Did you print the Brooke bonds one at a time?I've downloaded to Picture It,but can't work out how to print them all at once and then cut them to size.

T

The Monk

Yes Fred, I did mine all at once, I suppose it would be possible to cut and paste them in photoshop or something, I'll have a play about? I bet your players cards look great! I wonder if any of these things are on a site somewhere?

T

The Monk

Fred, just had a mess about, copied the barbel as a bit map, put it in photoshop and changed it to a tiff, then increased the size slightly although you are limited with the original dpi(its 72dpi on the site like most things and I'm on a Mac, dont know if it makes any difference?). It was however nice looking through the earlier collections, I can remember collecting the British Wild Life in 1957. I think they have stopped doing them now, which is a pity because they were excellent educational sources for kids, giving us something to collect and educating us at the same time. What year where the cigarette cards published, before my time I think?

T

The Monk

To print them all Fred, print from the actual site, the cards will come out 60X30 smaller than actual size!

F

Fred Bonney

Thanks,Monk I'll have a go.
We're not a great deal of difference in age,so I can remember collecting all of them,they may still be at my mum's,I'll have to go and turn over the joint!!British Birds and Flowers certainly come to mind and they helped with my natural history education.
I had five missing in my album Wonders of Wildlife,which I have got here, so I've copied them and stuck them in, no one will know the difference...

F

Fred Bonney

Monk,My Players cards were published in 1935,but on the Franklyns site they date back to the 1890's.Have a look for your Wills set..franklynscards.com/cat/cat8.htm

T

The Monk

Cheers Fred I'll get onto that next, 1890, wow, Graham would have had short pants on in those days?