An East Wind for any fishing?

D

Dave O'L

After a lot of bowing & scraping I was let out to play on a boat off the coast of W.Cork. The fishing wasn't brilliant, in fact the last 3 hours were dead. There were other issues such as wind & tide moving in the same direction but the main thing I picked up was an east wind!!!!!!!!!
The Salmon didn't want to play either in the rivers!
Back in Dorset when chatting, grown men would look with a tear in their eye, shake the head stating they'd turn round & go home.

My thought is what are everyone elses experiences for any type of fishing?

Is it better when an East wind blows to either log on FM, or butter up the boss by pretending you'd rather take her & the kids out for the day than go fishing?

R

Richard Drayson

I'm sure most of us have heard the old saying "With a wind from the East fish bite the least" or similar.

I've read somewhere that it is the associated weather in the UK that is the problem: High pressure, bright and sunny during the day, starlit nights, plummeting temperatures, overnight frosts during the colder months etc.
Only any good for grayling and chub.

D

Dave O'L

I was also told that if the sea was calm not to bother due to pressure?

T

Tony wainwright

I spent two years fishing,(coarse), in Norfolk and was regularly told that an Easterly wind was bad news, to the extent that you may as well pack up.I was within 2 miles of the coast and when an Easterly began to blow in the autumn, you could see the mist rolling over the land towards you.
The locals were right, it used to finish the fishing for the day at least.

T

The Monk

When the winds in the east the fish bite least? it does'nt mean they dont bite at all, I have had some reasonable catches on an east wind as I'm sure many others have, it all depends on how obsessed you are and how much you need a fix! I wouldnt rule it out altogether though?