Any Cornish FM'ers Out There? I Need Some Advice...

Reaction score
I'm down in Cornwall for a weekend in a few weeks and my lovely in-laws have booked a place with my compulsion for fishing in mind.

"The guest house is located on a creek off the River Lynher, a tributary of the River Tamar, the nearest town being Saltash, 2 miles".

I'm really hoping this might afford a chance for some spinning for bass and trout, or a bit of mullet fishing on the float?

Does anyone know the area?

Any advice would be appreciated; I know nothing about fishing in Cornwall :)

Bluenose

Reaction score
I haven't seen him post for a while but Frothey may be able to help ****y!

Reaction score
Thanks chaps,

Slime,

I'm pretty sure my pm function works; I've never caught bass, sea trout or mullet before so any take will be a personal triumph, if you can suggest a local venue I'd be much obliged.

I'm guessing bluenose is still Eddie C?

I'll try and find Frothey on previous posts, cheers for the help mate :)

Any other advice will be greatly appreciated; I don't care about the size of the fish at all. The river runs right past the guesthouse, I'm just fantasising about catching on my doorstep!

Last edited:

Bluenose

Reaction score
Thanks chaps,

Slime,

I'm pretty sure my pm function works; I've never caught bass or mullet before so if you can suggest a local venue I'd be much obliged.

I'm guessing bluenose is still Eddie?

I'll try and find Frothey on previous posts, cheers mate

Yes mate. Frothey put me right when I was down that neck of the woods a few years back. If he can't am sure he'll know a man who can!

Rickrod

Reaction score
Hi ****y, sorry i dont know the river Lynher but i can give you a few tips for the mullet. At low tide spread some liquidize bread into the boulders or kelp or any weed it gets them rooting around as the tide comes in.Do this at a point where the river narrows so the fish will be nearer to you.The biggest tip i could give you is to tell you to completely cover the hook with the bread. Nip it to the line above the eye of the hook and the eye also crimp it all the way round like you see on a pasty. If you wish to fish with fish on the hook then mash bread and mackeral together to form a paste wrap this around a method feeder or pack into openended feeder and make sure theres no skin on the fish on the hook. not a method for the purist but its very effective. Hope this helps you

Rick

slime monster

Reaction score
****y, Rickrods advice sounds good ,Mullet waste no time leaving river channels on rising tides estuary water just deep enough to cover there backs is enough to get them moving over the mud ,they are very conspicuous then bow waving and topping.

good Trout and course fishing at BAKE LAKES not far from Saltash

Last edited:

Rickrod

Reaction score
****y the mullet fight like barbel and are well worth the effort

Reaction score
Thanks for help chaps; can't wait to do battle with my first mullet.

Eddie, I've pm'ed Frothey; cheers.

Any other advice from people familiar with this area of Cornwall much appeciated.

I don't care about the size of the fish just want to be in the right place to encounter my first mullet or bass. :)

Rickrod

Reaction score
There should be some pollack around easy enough to catch on rubber lures. Im not sure if its abit early for the bass just yet but if theres any small ones around a 1oz silver toby will be just the job

Last edited: