Virus Alert.

C

Carp Angler

All,

Worth checking out to see if you are infected, as I'm getting bombarded with spurious mail from all manner of people to whom I've never previously had contact.

It utilises a loophole within Outlook to send out mails.
I have HTML turned off so that these mails don't autoexecute and I'm able to stop them before my Virus checker kicks in.

Most of these worms are based around
w32.(something).E@mm
And you get mails with various titles.
Check out Symantecs site here
for a fix and explaination.

C

Chris Bishop

This is something called Bugbear, it was all over the web last week.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
That's right Chris. My Norton anti-virus prog trapped it four times on my PC last week. It invades email and sends it out to everyone in your address book.

Best to do a complete hard drive search for 'bugbear' or 'w32' and then delete it by holding down the shift key while you press the delete key. That way it doesn't end up in your recycle bin.

C

Carp Angler

Bugbear is one of the variants that came out last week.
Most of the other w32's have been around for months.

Unfortunately Graham, deleting them doesn't make them go away.
They hide themselves in the registry etc as anonymous files, with random character generation.
Run the fix progs and closing the loophole is the only way around it.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
You know better than me about that kind of thing Rik. I'm just good at fishing.

Wait for it.........

C

Carp Angler

No need for me to comment.......

I shouldn't mock the afflicted.

D

Dave Johnson

Seeing as you are fishing for a few days before you drop into mine, Deb said you would probably stink of fish.....

I said probably not....LOLAFOHC

B

Birds Nest

All you need is a decent Anti Virus package, and KEEP IT UP TO DATE, and these things shouldn't be too much of a problem...

G

Gerry Castles

If you still haven't got antivirus software then you have no excuse for getting nailed by a virus. Go to www.grisoft.com and download their FREE anti-virus AVG software. Updates are FREE, it's every bit as good as Norton (I've used both) doesn't take up as much space (loads much faster) and of course it's FREE.

K

Kevan Farmer

Of course, people could always stop using a crap e-mail system like Outlook or Outlook Express. The majority - but not quite all - virus' and worm packages are designed to exploit weaknesses in Microsoft programs. Personally I use Pegasus Mail for my main account or Yahoo web mail for other things and have no trouble. I do still get sent nasty virus packages of course but they are totally harmless. Other than the fact that they clog the inbox up. I also keep my AV software up to date with an update at least every two days.

The viruses are 'usually' spread via the Microsoft address book, beware, as this is available to a number of MS programs.

While were on the subject of viruses, thanks Graham for sorting a problem. I've left it until now to make sure it was all done with. It is :)

Kevan

B

Birds Nest

Yes, but the majority of viruses get into corporate systems by people accessing 3rd party mail from Web Based (Yahoo/Hotmail etc) systems... And triggering the virus program locally...

I still say a decent upto date AntiVirus package is the way to go... Its the one item of software I'd pay for.. <Cough, did I say that out loud?>

E

EC

Am actually downloading it now...is called ZoneAlarm...dunno what its like , will check with the IT bods when I go to work tomoz.