20lb carp on a gudgeon

J

Jon Read

just got back from a weekend catfishing at shattersford lakes. at 6 0 clock yesterday morning i had a screaming run on a live gugeon fished 3 ft under the surface . after a 20 minute ight from which me and 3 other angler thought was a large catfish a 21lb common carp came to the net.

Is this normal????????????

p.s shattersford is under new management and has opend a new carp pool and some pools are being stocked with sturgeon.

D

Dave Rothery

Yeah, we all forget carp are a bit stupid! mind you, whats the difference between eating gudgeons and tadpoles? (not a joke,by the way)

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

I seen two carp caught on Roach livebaits.

T

The Monk

I caught one on a fly spoon once Jon, carp are omnivorous, they will take anything, even fly on occasion, I must say that I do have difficulty with then taking my bait at times though?

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
1971, Westbrooke Mere in Herts.

My father caught a large Carp on a small live Frog hooked up the bum. He tells me that it still plays on his conscience and it was the only time he ever used a livebait for Carp.

S

steve flook

Jon,
Ive caught many a good carp on half roach deadbaits. I once landed 2 in a night, on wire traces while 3 carp anglers blanked one night. I also witnessed a 22lb common on half a sardine (orange Richworth)
from one of the toughest waters around here

R

Rodney Wrestt

I suppose with so many carp being caught on fishmeal boillies and pellets it isn't really surprising that they will take fish as well, I remember reading about fish caught carp a couple of times in the weeklies, but it is quite rare, perhapse it will be the new big bait to use on hard waters.

R

Robert Woods

A couple of years ago I was carp fishing using fishmeal boilies.Whilst I was reeling in a 19lb Pike took a red pop up!!!.Caught it later on in the season on deadbait...my first twenty.

R

Rob Brownfield

Chunks of fish, especially sardine make a good stalking bait :)

John Moore

Reaction score
I have just returned from a week of Carp angling in Worcestershire. The bait of choice there was Dog Biscuit. A small handful thrown on the water, with one piece having a barbless hook in it. Worked a treat. An average catch was five commons in two hours, most in double figures. After a few days the fish were 'mouthing' the biscuit and spitting out the one with a hook. I then swapped over to Whiskas Cat food (pouches). It was just as effective. A few dog biscuits on the surface, when they were eaten the Carp searched the bottom and took the cat food bait. Great sport and a lot cheaper than boilies.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Haha I can't comment on this one! it's not Bait Box!

I have caught large river bream on dead bleak, intended for eels.

Steve :)

Alnath

Reaction score
I caught a gudgeon on a size 6 raptor with a 15mm cranberry boilie on the hair the other week so maybe the carp was getting its own back