Huge Snakes

S

stephen Leak

My local waters hold fresh water eels over 100 lbs anyone got any ideas on rigs?????
I am serious I live in New Zealand and the short finned eel grows to enourmous sizes a 20lber is a tiddler.....

R

Richard Baker

50 metres of metal chain, a large cods head on a 8/0 hook and a large fence post at the other end to stop it being pulled in should do it!

G

Gerry Castles

...and a pair of extra thick gardening gloves. as Ron will testify they are extremely poisonous
You might want to consider using similar rigs to those in use for conger eel. From the shore a heavy beachcaster with 30lb line, wire trace etc. or from a boat a 30lb class standup stick ('short stroker' as they are known in your part of the world)

P

Paul Williams

Gerry....i'm intruiged, whats poisonous about them...bite, blood, fins?

T

The Monk

Stephen, this is anguilla australous we are talking about here is it? I have a few friends who visit New Zealand specifically for these, I've seen them upto 20lb photographed in the eel factories around Auckland, how many fish are you talking about at 100 lbs?!

J

joe foxall

use 30-50lb main line, with a 100lb trace on a 6-10/0s hook, on a boat or heavy 10ft beachcaster, and a decent reel with a fighting drag and youll stand a good chance of landing one.

T

Tony Jolley

I know a guy who has made a couple of eel fishing videos in New Zealand, E,mail me and I`ll pass on his e mail address for you.

Terry Harvey

Reaction score
Ive seen some wierd stuff written about eel fishing. On the lower severn belowe Gloucester where I was dragged up we fished for Eels with 9 ft rods size 8 hooks and 10ib line simple rigs lead tied on with a bit of string to the main line(lead from the local church roof was fave) the flowe was always very fast until just before the tide, that was the time to fish for the big eels. the biggest I ever got was just under 6lb, you could get plenty of bootlaces up to a couple of pound anytime. And of cource we went elvering in late winter when the bore was on, at night you hade to be quick up the bank when the wave was due as that was when you caught the biggest net full of elvers, many the time I dived up the bank with tha waters tugging at my heels half drunk on scrumpy usuelly.