bullsh***ers in angling!

E

EC

Living on Wirral meant most of my early fishing was done in small lakes and tiny ponds, the sort of places where a 4lb tench is a proper lump, and where (English) 20lb carp are almost non existent. As for a 2 pound roach,down boy!

So knowing from an early age the limits of the waters I fished I used to revel in the tackle shop talk about the lost 30s, and rudd that done a 4lb hook link etc etc, and after a while I positively encouraged the lies, staring (apparently) wide eyed, listening to the tales of (another) record crucian that got away etc etc whilst secretly thinking what a gobs**te, but the VERY BEST was the guy at the Vauxhall pond (nr M53 for those that know it) used to be run by Irby AC about 30 metres x 30metres wide, anyway a regular on there used to make a bee line to me and my mate and tell us, (much to our constant amusement) of the DOUBLE FIGURE tench he used to (and continued) to catch, but the thing is, and this may contradict the title of the thread slightly, I was never fully sure if he believed it himself, or if he was a good old fashioned Billy Liar trying to impress?

Anyone else meet people like this or am I the only one to have had this fantatstic privilege?

S

stu black

I'm sure everyone in the North West has heard of my mate Mark. He's the one who's won everything and broken practically every lake record on every lake he's fished except when he goes with me....

E

EC

Wonder if anyone 'in the know' will be brave enough to drop a few 'big names' in the poo?

G

Gerry Castles

I agree Eddie, they get up my nose too. I think most masters of the porkie think that they are somehow 'characters' I suppose you should just walk away and let them revel in their tall tales but I can't, it irritates the hell out of me. I won't bandy names about on fishingmagic, it's too friendly a forum but there is one particular character whose whole fishing life is probably a complete sham. Trouble is he forgets what he said on one forum and turns up with a different story on another forum. If you are going to severely guild the lily continously, then at least keep a record of what you said.
The other side of the coin is the angler who is not afraid to admit that he know's little about aspects of the sport, or he's been fishing for thirty years and has yet to catch a twenty pound pike. Those are the people I can't wait to help.

T

The Monk

Worlds full of them Eddie, you only have to walk around any lake in the country and ask whats in it, these people are fooling no-one but theirselves, I've always found photographs a good indicator of truth?

Mind you there have also been a few genuine guys who have'nt been believed, until the truth has come out?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
"Wonder if anyone 'in the know' will be brave enough to drop a few 'big names' in the poo?" Eddie asks.

We all know one or two, but if anybody is 'brave' (daft?) enough to name names, just make sure you can prove it.

The internet isn't exempt from libel and slander suits.

G

Gerry Castles

I agree Graham, very tricky subject. Best not to throw names into the hat unless you have very solid evidence. I also take Monk's point and would suggest that if you are going to post threads on a forum boasting of catching this or that enormous fish then be prepared to offer photos or witnesses. I know it takes away some of the element of 'sport' and I'm quite happy to congratulate my fellow fishermen on the odd capture, but if you wish to continually advertise your fishing prowess with tales of big fish then be prepared for the occasional challenge.

T

The Monk

Graham and Gerry are right, best let sleeping dogs lie (no pun), I think most are general knowledge and usually trip themselves up eventually! I'm not in favour of witch hunts anyway!

S

stu black

Photos can be altered too... but they often get caught out

C

Chris Bishop

I can think of one person who did in our part of the worldd - a blade of grass proved to be his downfall.

R

Rodney Wrestt

I think I remember that one Chris, on a pike in the weeklies wasn't it?

A

Andrew Thomas

Yeah, I remember it too, but please remember the libel laws !

(One for private mail methinks)

S

steve flook

will someone e mail me and remind me then ? I can remember it but cant remember what happened, if you know what I mean ??

E

EC

AAAAAAAAAW come on fellas! Forget the libel laws, England won, and the world is a wonderful place, name names, or if not at least tell the rest of us the 'supposed' full story with pseudonyms!

This is a thread where we can (sort of) legitimately take the p*ss, so cut the innuendo and give us the sp on those whom have 'allegedly' not got their facts strictly in the correct order.

B

Brian Lewis

Does it really matter? Certainly not enough to sail too close to the libel laws.

The fact is, IMHO, that the only people these story tellers are conning are themselves. If they are recognised for what they are then they are privately ridiculed, evidenced by Gerry's opening message.

Why bother naming these people. They know who they are and, based on what you've all said above, quite a few others know who they are as well.

E

EC

You are right Brian, it doesnt 'matter' but there is no denying that fishermans tales can be very funny indeed, we are, after all, renowned for 'the one that got away'!

C

Chris Bishop

There was a saying something like are all fishermen liars or do all liars fish.

C

Carp Angler

I have a T-shirt made by Orvis that has the classic cartoon fisherman on the front with arms stretched wide.

On the back it says
"I fish, therefore I lie"

It always seems to bring more of a titter from non-angling folk, as we seem to be viewed as tellers of great stories about the behemoth that got away.