shimano exage

J

Justyn Barbery

Hi all, has anyone tried one of the new shimano exage travel carp rods, to see what they are like and when the performance is. as i am interested in them for some light sea fishing as i like to 'rock hop' and because of the size would make life easy!
thanx jb

C

Carp Angler

A mate has just got the Exage TEXS330H spinning rod.
It's rated at 2 to 4oz and I've have no qualms with chucking a 3oz lead a goodly distance with it.
I can honestly say that you wouldn't know it was 6 sections from the action.

I had a couple of jacks on a plug with it on Friday and it's was just the same as a normal rod.

G

Gerry Castles

Never tried the Exage but I have a number of multi piece fly and lure rods from Orvis, Loomis, Harrison. I can honestly say I have never noticed any difference in performance between any of them and standard one and two piece rods. Modern materials and integral joints make all the difference. However having had some of them for a period of years I should say that multi-piece rods do eventually suffer from loose joints to the point where I find I am occasionally casting the top joint as well as a fly or lure. The good points far outway the bad ones and I still use multi piece rods and continue to buy them

chub angler

Reaction score
I bought the heavier Exage spinning rod to hide in the car when we went to Cornwall last month. It packed in a rucksack to climb down the cliffs, wacked out the whole of a new 12lb. spool of line on to the backing with a jelly bait on a 1.5 oz leadhead (some wind assistance)and has a lovely soft action. Swung in pollock to 2.5lb without the net (not recommended), am looking forward to trying it with some big shads on the Trent & Fens once the weather cools & the duckweed shifts; also Beach Bass & Boat Tope.

I was so good I bought the lighter one too (couldn't afford the factory), this does well with lighter shad & smaller plugs and has already had Pike to 12lb out of the Welland.

Interestingly talking of spinning for big fish, whilst in Cornwall I talked to two locals who had been scared by very large Tuna this September, chasing shoals of Mackeral past their boats not far out in Newquay Bay. Also I had a run in with a shark (about 6/8 foot long) which showed some interest in an 8inch plug near Trevose.

J

Jeremy Airey

Justyn
Don't know about the carp rods but my 10/11 foot exsage is just the bizzo.
Does everything it should and more.
Awesome rod, amazing value
regards
Jeremy Airey

J

Justyn Barbery

thanx for all your advice, i think i will wait till i come back from my holls, then count up my penny's, i am also interested in buying the spinning rod as well! (all i need now is more reels)!
i think they are good for light rock hopping, like you said Spur Dog down cornwall where i fish (st agnes) it would be handy climing along the clifs with a small compact rod!

Thanx

Justyn