winter holding areas

R

richard gray

now that winter is upon us where do we fish for our prey ie deep water or dying lillie pads

T

The Monk

One theory was to check the water temps at different depths (Jim Gibbinson I think first wrote about this in relation to some of the deeper southern gravel pits), in shallow waters I,ve still found carp in the same areas as summer, (dying pads), sometimes carp become camatos (torpid) Jack Hilton used to net camatos carp regularly from Ashleigh Pool?

C

Cakey

Im with Hem Knot on this one try your summer feeding spots first then the deeper water on really cold days.
dont know about really deep water like at l.a.s. 30 foot plus do you Ken Moth??

T

The Monk

Hey your good at these anograms Cakey mate, my brain doesnt work that good, took me a while to work them out. 30 foot deep frightens the sh*t out of me, I always visualise falling in when the fish finder shows me the depths!

Tight lines

Ken Moth

A

andrew jackson

I have found that it is a bad mistake to generalise when talking carp. If that statment is true, then winter feeding spots and theorys are probably one of the best examples of this mistake. A good example of this is a water I know of, that is by far the most prolific winter water I have ever fished. This lake is very heavy padded with the exeption of a small area of about 3 acres, the winter hot spot is a snag tree in the only area of the lake devoid of pads.

T

The Monk

30 foot plus, I suppose is temperiture dependant, Ashleigh I think was shallow and the carp became camatos, yet I use to fish a lake in mid wales years ago which was shallow and the fish slowed down in winter so we used to drop back on a lake in the Northwest, which was also shallow, but fished its head off for carp in every winter month? Yakce's plan sounds fine here!

T

The Monk

If I learned anything in this life Andrew, its not to generalise on carp or women, both can be a bit shady at times!

T

The Monk

Nothing wrong with gaining an edge mate, well done again on your 40, certainly beats my personal best!

Tight ones

Ken Moth

M

Mark Johnson

Never mind Monk, at least it doesn't come up with Marks on John! Bit worrying as i'm from Brighton!!!!

T

Terry Comerford

It wont do an anagram of Cakey Monk, because he's not on their 'currant' list.

R

Rob Brownfield

Somewhat off the point guys :)

Fishing in summer hot spots...you dont wanna be doing that, you wanna be looking for the thermocline, thats what you wanna be doing!

It works like this....In winter, cold water, being denser that warm water, sinks to the bottom (wind has an effect..i'll come onto that in a moment) What this effectively does is force the thermocline towards the surface of the water. So, when confronted by a gravel pit that has varying depths, it is worth working out where the thermocline is in the water and finding areas that co-inside with that depth.

What this means is that if the thermocline is say 7 feet down, it is worth fishing in 7 feet of water, wether that is the margins, the top of a bar surrounded by deeper water, a plateau etc etc. The Carp will cruise around at a depth of roughly 7 feet..stopping to feed in "the comfort zone" if the oppertunity is there.

Exceptions to this are in windy conditions when the thermocline is not so well defined due to the warm/cool waters mixing due to underwater currents created by the wind.

How many have seen carp cruising under ice? I have for certain, and have caught them too. You get a lot of that ice stuff up here :)

T

The Monk

Apologies Rob, just a bit of fun mate!

Thermocline doesn’t always occur in the winter!

Let me explain; the differing density characteristics of water at different temperatures can also have important repercussions in the summer season. The warming of the surface of a lake, resulting in water of steadily decreasing density, can proceed to such an extent that a pronounced layering develops. Assuming that the weather is calm and there is little mixing caused by high winds, the condition of stratification stabilizes to produce a water body which has these three distinct horizontal zones. The warm water of the Epilimnion (surface layer) circulates within itself but does not mix in with the water of the thermocline (Middle layer), the zone in which there is very sudden temperature fall with a short vertical distance. Below the thermocline, the hypolimnion (bottom layer) water is uniformly low temperature and it too circulates within itself but does not rise upward. The thermocline thus constitutes an effective barrier between the epilimnion and the hypolimnion. A pond rather than a lake will generally not be of sufficient depth for a fully stratified condition to develop, although some kind of temperature discontinuity will often be encountered in the summer. Summer lake-stratification eventually breaks down with the cooling of the surface layers in the autumn and the onset of high winds. Vigorous mixing extends deeper and deeper into the lake and the position of the thermocline falls vertically. Eventually there is no thermocline and the winter condition of temperature uniformity throughout the lake water is re-established. Overturn of the lake has then occurred.

Fish will feed under ice, particularly in shallower waters, this is because ice retains radiation (heat) under certain conditions however the carp will become comatose (a state of hibernation as its body temperature drops. It has been studied that Trout will die at 25 C and its eggs will not hatch at a higher temperature than 14C, while the carp essentially a warm water fish, can withstand temperatures of upto 38C.

Tight lines

Ken Moth

D

Dave Rothery

Do you think carp could use the thermocline to hide from boat sonars in the same way as submarines do??
;)