Carp theropy

S

Stormin' Norman

A lesson to us all Andy, I did indeed identify with the Wilderbeest herd you described so well, what a pity that it never changes eh?

R

Ron Clay

An excellent article Andy. Maybe it is the wildebeest attitude of what appears to be the majority of carp anglers that make me hate them so much.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Nice article Andy, fishing should be for enjoyment and when I stop enjoying it.....I'll be dead.

R

Ron Clay

It's a pity the Wildebeeste Herd (A good name for the circus that) is descending into barbel fishing.

How the heck can we keep out these number and weight mentality, Drennan Cup seeking sub-humans from our great sport?

I can imagine the antics on a certain little dirt track leading to a certain spot on the Tidal Trent, where, when a 20 pound barbel is taken, as I am sure it will, is going to resemble what Andy describes in his article!

S

Stormin' Norman

Provocative language Mr Clay, as I'm sure you intended it to be. I argue the point that to successfully fish on a river it takes a bit more than turning up and chucking a rod or two out. Alright if you sit in a hot spot sooner or later you will hit the jackpot - plenty of evidence on that one, but your never going to stop glory seekers no matter what facet of life your involved in. I'll admit it, if i'm lucky enough to catch a big barbel from the Ouse this winter, I'll want to share the news around a bit. But please don't call people sub humans just for wanting to be competitive at something there good at.

T

The Monk

Competitive at what cost Stormin? I think thats what Rons getting at mate!

S

Stormin' Norman

Then keep quiet about the area then.

I still insist you have to be a better than average river angler to stand a chance though.

T

The Monk

Many of the most guarded secrets get out, unless of course you only tell Monk's from silent orders?

S

Simon Webster

A good article, which sums up quite concisely what some of us feel. Of course, there will always be a competetive minority, who wish to show the world what skilled anglers they are..... but in reality, many, if not most of these people are just that, and nothing more- succesful angling is hardly rocket science, they probably have boring, unchallenging, repetetive, mundane jobs (if any). They must miss out on many of the pleasures in angling, and undoubtedly miss out on almost all life's pleasures and richness, but thats their problem- My only wish is that I could find a water to fish without meeting them.

A

Andy Shattock

I seem to have stirred up quite a debate here. I am sure that, for some individuals, the competitative edge to be better, catch bigger, and have the most fasionable kit drives their fishing. Dont get me wrong I enjoy the thrill of a big carp just as much as anyone but hate the idea of fishing overstocked holes in the ground full of imported lumps. I use good quality tackle but if the gear I have does the job well you wont find me reaching for my wallet just to have the latest glossy bit of carp kit. The rods I use have been with me for 12 years and I love them. They are about to give up the ghost and will be replaced soon. I just hope the new ones last me as long and give me as much pleasure. I am willing to travel and pay well for the thrill of the bend in the rod but not at the expense of surroundings. I hear that the tidal Trent isn't the most aesthetic place to fish. Give me my little tranquil lake any time. Just recently I spent 4 days on the Ebro fishing for carp. I only caught 2 and neither were of any size but I will be back there soon to fish in those majestic surroundings. The last time I fished the St Lawrence I struggled to catch anything of size but I cant wait to fish that awesome river again. To me it about the opportunities to visit wonderful locations that this lifetime's passion for fishing has given me. Watch out I am getting all lyrical again. I can feel some mmore writing coming on. Thanks for the comments lads.

I

Ian Grant

A thoroughly entertaining read Andy , have you got any more like that, i can identify with your feelings on the wildebeest mentality, but that's life i suppose, Ron clay is right in that it's beginning to happen with Barbel , two of the rivers i fish are showing signs of it, but hey! who am i to tell them they can't, i just go and fish elsewhere, and leave them to it, it does frustrate me i have to admit when i've set up in peace and quiet, the river to my self, sun setting - get the picture? THEN!
all hell breaks loose car doors slamming a couple of hundred yards away the chattering
and stomping feet getting closer AAARGH!!
Thank god for winter! they'll all scuttle off back to their hibernation holes till the spring and leave me and a handfull of others to fish in peace HEAVEN !!

A

Andy Davis

Excellent artical, makes me want to go fishing ! which I will do once I have put the gearbox back in the car :eek:)

F

Fred Bonney

Just read the article,a brilliant piece of writing,sums up just the way I feel about this sport of ours.
Just seen the Upper Ouse this frosty morning the river is up nicely at last. From my impressions gained last year at Adams Mill,it's time for me to get down to my other MK stretch and find the elusive one. I bet it will be tranquil and free from the hoards.
One thing for certain, I will keep my experiences quiet,well fairly quiet,after reading Ron's experiences.

A

Andy Shattock

Interesting about the barbel. A couple of weeks ago I made the trek from my home in Colchester to Hampton Lode on Barbel Alley with a friend who is trying to convince me that once you have been barbel fishing the carp dont seem quite so attractive. We were up and out of our bed and breakfast early on both days and on both ocassions we struggled to find a empty swim. Reminded me of my wildbeest days.

S

Stormin' Norman

'barbel Alley'. Nuff said. why not email someone privatly for some info. People are very helpful on this website and are sure to put you on a few fish.

I

Ian Whittaker

Doesn't seem that long ago that the rivers were supposedly devoid of anglers.Every pundit in angling telling people to get back on the rivers!Looks like you've got more company than you wanted, Ron.

C

Clive Evans

Rik, just as an aside here;
do the words 'hate' and 'sub-human' (coming as they do from a forum-confessed " rank right-winger",) count as ''posting to court controversy''.
Does this then mean Ron too is bearded and ginger. Oh, and a Brummie?

And just in case you misconstue my own intent here, I reiterate 'long may they continue'. Live and let live is the best creed of all.