Intelligence in Fish

T

The Monk

Wise Fish, How wise, conditioned or the ability to reason?

E

Eric Hayes

I have posted this in the Barbel thicker than Carp thread, but what the hell It`s my band width and I`ll do what I want with it. :OP

I think they may reason monk. I was fishing the Ribble last week, after feeding a few swims upstream I settled on a swim lower down, after about 2 hour I went back up stream to look if anything was in the pre bated swims, I got to the last swim crawled down the bank and peered over some nettles I swear the biggest chub I`ve ever seen was just bimbling away and all the bait had gone, BTW I was using Polaroid Glasses.
I went back to the swim I had settled in and got my rod, net, unhooking gear some pellets, past and rushed back. When I got there I re-feed the swim and settled behind the patch of nettles. That fish came and went 5 times It would have a bloody good look at the baited hook but would it pick it up?.....would it hell, but it did eat all the freebies. I had no lead on the line and my hook link was 7lb fluorocarbon. Was I unlucky? or was the fish using reasoning? Any way in the end all that was left was my Hook bait with a hand full of minnows showing interest. That sodin` fish had beat me hands down.

C

Chris Bishop

I've had pike come up to baits fisheed close in several times, inspect them and swim off.

I wonder how many times that happens and you don't realise.

T

The Monk

A hell of a lot of times Chris.

I've heared a lot of people say we give carp too much credit for their ability, I think in real terms we give far too many anglers credit for theirs?

J

Jim Hinchley

I often consider the fish must be cleverer than me otherwise id be catching all the time. I think as the fish get older they become accustomed to the game us anglers are playing. Ocaisonally they make a mistake but if they didnt have memory/conditioning you would expect them to make the same mistake everytime.
Ask yourself why do baits blow sometimes ?

E

Eric Hayes

Pike are a strange species, I`ve seen them chase lures then turn away when they realized something ain`t right, but some times pike seem really aggressive when chasing lures and maybe they just switch off the reasoning in some situations that`s why I think they take Dawgs and some of the madder looking lures. maybe hunger, Territorial instincts or breeding makes them switch it off, that`s assuming they do have reasoning. I`ve also seen Pike try to eat the red part at the top of a dead bait pencil float. what the hell is all that about?

C

Chris Bishop

They've never ceased to amaze me Eric.

How can such a such a simple creature bring so much fascination and such long bouts of frustration, coupled with the occasional day when it all comes right.

If we ever find out the answers to half these questions, we'll probably all start whacking golf balls around and wearing polo neck sweaters.

J

Jim Hinchley

fox are soon to launch a new range of camo polo neck sweaters, available in desert and tree camou. :)

T

The Monk

Spent much of my life sat round a big muddy hole in the ground drinking coffee, sad isnt it?

J

Jim Hinchley

I didnt realise you were a council worker for most of your life monk.!!

E

Eric Hayes

Chris I would wear the wife`s dresses first or drive red hot rusty pins into my Scrotum Sack.......Like the bloke said it`s just a good walk ruined.

E

Eric Hayes

Jim I`m on the lookout for some full on desert storm camo, my therory being: If I can stick out like a bulldogs nads the fish might go on the feed......

J

Jim Hinchley

Thats just what i thought. Im currently designing the desert storm camo sunlounger with optional tv ,dvd and fridge attachments. Ive had a large amount of interest from some tackle manufacturers and German tourists but am hoping to show the finished article at Ribby village next week.

E

Eric Hayes

Ho Jim! and some white trainers if you see any, they would look proper top with Desert DPM.

J

Jim Hinchley

I will add them to the options package for the sunlounger. !!

E

Eric Hayes

Monk I`m sorry about corrupting your thread mate, but I can`t help myself.

Jim I can`t wait dude; I`ll fetch the 36 gallon of maggots ok

J

Joe King

Oh sorry , the question!

Conditioned, I don,t think fish have the ability to reason.

Can,t think of it at the moment but i,m sure someone will tell me but there is a word or phrase that means assuming animals have human thoughts and reactions.
It just doesn't happen.

J

Jim Hinchley

Ez, im afraid they wont fit in the special sunlounger baitwaiter it only has a ten gallon capacity. We could fit most of the other 26 gallon in the other trays and pouches on the sunlounger but then youd have nowhere for your spare bivvy socks or other critical essentials. :)