Human Scent

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
A pal and I went through a long spell of two or three seasons when I very regularly caught more than he did, in spite of us often fishing a float no more than 6ins apart, with the exact same tackle and bait.

One day, after we'd ran out of more sensible options we hadn't tried, he asked me to bait his hook for him.

That was the turning point, from then on the spoils were more or less equally divided.

The only difference between us that could have made a difference was that I was a smoker then, and he wasn't.

Could it have been that the fish were attracted to the smell and taste of nicotine and tar? Or that the smell of nicotine and tar simply disguised the natural human scent?

D

Dave Dowson

Intersting point Graham.
And one I do not know a great deal about so I cannot really comment.
I have however read numerous articles about lady anglers catching more/bigger fish than blokes. Something about female pheromones.
So I suggest you forget about the ciggies Graham and come clean and tell us about your true sexuality or at least what you have been doing with your hands :)
I have also been told the smell of crisp ?10 note can turn fish on but that will not be true in your case.
Tight lines Miss err sorry Mr Marsden
(awaits reply with a smirk on his face)

S

stu black

I'm a smoker....doesnt help me.

Graham, I'm assuming you've given up, do you now catch any less?

S

stu black

how about those (nash???) dip-sticks, that pick up glugged boilies with claws without the need for directly handling them?

T

The Monk

Walker wrote a lot about bait tinting, particularly tobbaco tints, he said it put fish off once the baits were tinted. Some of the older tench fisher use to swear by tar as an attactor of that specie.

The female phermone, estrogen is suppose to be a big attractor, women and others emmitt it through their sweat glans and apparently it attracts male fish, I know Frank Warwick did some experiemets with this in his baits many years ago and was very sucessful with it. Is your mate effeminate Graham (contains a dominant estrogen balance in his pheramone, usually detectable if he holds his wrist limp, stands like a teapot and always insists on fishing extra close to you)?

Fish dont smell like we do, (although know some people who small like fish) they use chemical transfer, chemiseptic, which travels through water, its part of the taste/smell detection system, next time anyone falls in the lake, just try sniffing up as hard as you can, and I bet you cant smell anything?

C

Carp Angler

Sorry to be a pedant, but isn't it chemo and not chemi ?

B

Bob Watson

Monk, tried that and you're right, couldn't smell a thing. Funny thing is though, it had the same effect as sniffing pepper(which you can smell), brought tears to my eyes and made me cough a lot.
Aim; To test Monks theory.
Result; Severe discomfort.
Conclusion; Monk was right.

W

Wendy Perry

I've heard this before as well about lady anglers.... i must have male sweat then lol

B

Brian Lewis

I fell in the lake and sniffed. All I got was a load of water up my nose!

S

Stormin' Norman

Nope, don't believe in this pheromone malarky. it catches more anglers than fish.

Any good angler will tell you that a long term bait is usually a quality base mix, A8 for instance and has an attrative taste.

S

Sean Meeghan

I was going to make a serious comment, but the thread's gone all to pieces again. Can't you control this forum Mr Marsden?

Oh alright then here goes....

I've noticed when chubbing in hard conditions, particularly in Winter, that there is a way of converting those frustrating unhittable pulls into hittable ones. The first thing is to use a smaller bait on the same size hook and the second is to moisten your fingers with a liquid flavour before putting the bait on the hook. This works especially well with flake and a piece small enough to fish on a size 16 can be presented on a size 10 or 12. I normally use one of Archie Bradocks' flavours, but I've experimented a bit and it doesn't seem to matter much what flavour you use. This led me to believe that some sort of scent masking might be occuring. The flavour trick works OK with normal sized pieces of flake as well.

T

The Monk

Sorry Carp Angler this bloody website is usless at spelling, you really need to get it sorted out?

T

The Monk

threads gone to pieces Sean, it was just getting interesting?

Archie's book is a must, fantastic feeder fishing, brilliant!

We really must have a looney thread, your banned sean!

T

The Monk

Hey Mr Norman, your wrong about the pheromone malarky, bought some from a sex shop a few years ago, poured it in this chicks coffee, and she went like a bunny all night?

B

Bob Watson

Thats ok Monk, got a carling now! wash that nasty watery taste away!

R

Rodney Wrestt

if human scent is produced through the sweat glands (amongst others) which produce oils wouldn't the oils rise in the water in the same way as manufactured dips and glugs as the bait falls through the water, and what about the base mixes for boilies and pastes, these are hand made, the scent would be forced into the baits with vigorous kneeding whilst making the paste the human scent distributed all through the mix and in the case of bollies, it's then sealed in during the cooking process.

T

The Monk

It would dispearse rate in water dependant upon which layer of the water you are fishing (see winter carp thread on thermoclines)and the weight ratio of the oil being used, also the compactacy of the bait (poreosity), its quite a complicated area really!