River Dove

B

Birds Nest

Folks, where are the stretches of the dove you fish in your Digital Diary ?

S

Stewart Bloor

Pre-empting Graham's reply, it will probably be :
Send me a tenner and I'll tell you the County
Send me twenty and I'll tell you the nearest town.
Send me fifty and I'll tell you which stretch
Send me a ton and I'll take you to the peg.

Well, that's what he said to me anyway...but in all fairness it was the best ?100 I've spent...

D

Dave Johnson

The Burslem IW stretch at Coton-in-the-Clay. a good walk but excellent features and a healthy head of barbelof all sizes.
Derby railway have the bottom stretch and part of the opposite bank, although I think that they may have to walk even further!
Chub go to 4lb or so with a good helping of trout and grayling.
Drop me a line if you need any more info
Dave

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Scropton, Tutbury, Hatton, are just three. The clubs I know of are Prince Albert AS, Burslem Isaac Walton, Derby Railway, Kidsgrove AS, Burton Mutual AS, Dove Valley AS. Loads of them.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
And I've just read Sedge's reply - I must be going soft..........

S

Stewart Bloor

Graham, you know that deal you told me to sign up with so I can get unlimited internet - well I'm now on it, starting today...so I can torment you even more... for free !!!!
Seriously, to get back to the thread, I've fished the Derby Railway stretches at Tutbury and Scropton this season. Bird's Nest, the very first Pilgrim's Progress I wrote was based on my first trip to the Dove. Good memories !!!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I already feel worn out sat here posting several thousand FISHINGmagic newsletters. And now I've got you on my back full time!

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Graham you wrote: "And now I've got you on my back full time!"

Sitting here laughing at the mental image conjured up of Sedge riding Nijinski.

C

Carp Angler

I didn't realise that Nijinski was a lame veteran that was mercifully put down.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Cheeky sod, Carp! And here was me thinking you were a mate.

I already feel bad enough that Match Fishing magazine is saying I'm the new 'Elder Statesman' of angling writers now that poor old Peter Stone has passed away.

B

Birds Nest

Ohh great, thanks for the info....

Elder Statesman hahahahaha

P

Paul Williams

Suppose you'll want to sit at the head of the table next time we all meet for a pub meal/fishing trip!!! Didn't Rik Mayall once play a statesman?????

P

Paul Williams

Hyphonated Rik, hyphonated, tee hee, seriously though Graham, what and when was your first major "piece"

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I'm not speaking to you peasants any more.

But it was in 1968 in 'Fishing' Magazine.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Go on, rub it in!

But I've worn better than you anyway!

D

Dave Johnson

bloody hell, I was only 2 in 1968.....

dont know about worn well-more like easy life....ha ha ha ha......ha ha

Tell you what would be an interesting thread Graham, list what you consider to be your best achievements over the years - I remember reading some of your articles years ago on Cheshire Mere fishing, still conjures up thoughts of misty mornings on estate type lakes with big tench and bream........roll on summer.

S

Stewart Bloor

'Elder Statesman'...I'm sure that was a mis-print and they meant to say 'Elderly Spaceman'...after all, I always thought you were on another planet...