And another idiots question

S

stu black

Why do people use braid of much higher breaking strains than they would mono?

eg I've heard it said that a 2.75lb t.c. rod can handle (mono) up to 15lb yet people use 35lb and higher braid.

R

Roto Fryer

because they dont want to use skill in playing a fish they want to haul! them in.

D

Dave Rothery

...or beacause they dont want to leave fish trailing line....
(probably cause 35lb braid has roughly the same diameter as 15lb mono)

C

Cakey

Is it true that braid is bad fot the gears in reels?

CAKEY ARCC

D

Dave Rothery

Never had a problem - i've used braid for 5 years or so, and i've got emblems since they first came out, and they are fine.

I

Ian Whittaker

Agree on all those points Dave, plus the fact that you are using a mainline that is far stronger than your hooklength.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Cakey,
braid will damage the reel if you point the rod and pull for a break when snagged, it can damage the spindle, that's why it's recommend that instead you wrap the braid around a bankstick a few times and pulling that.

D

Dave Rothery

I used to bit a pirking - i remember someone snagging a wreck and wrapping the line(braid) round his hand to pull for a break, and nearly losing a finger. lucky the skipper was wearing gloves!!

R

Roto Fryer

i used braid a few times in thailand fishing for mekong cat fish. i dont like it as i prefer a little stretch on my line, however, when high breaking strain is required with out high line diameter braid is the way to go.
braid is also more responsive to bites or mouthing than mono.
the first time i used the stuff i put a big cut in my finger :(

T

The Monk

Only if you tie it round your fingers really tight so it stops the blood flowing!

Roto, tell me more about these Mekong cats?

C

Cakey

The huge Mekong catfish is one of about 25 species in the family Pangasiidae, a group of Asian freshwater fishes. It is a distinctive fish, with its flattened back and deeply curving belly, and differs from the rest of its family in having extremely low-set eyes, which give it a rather upside-down look. It has no teeth. These catfishes migrate upstream to breed, spawning in lakes and tributaries.

C

Cakey

THEY GROW TO 300K !
almost extinct at one stage because Roto keeps eating em.

T

The Monk

Cheers for that Cakey, I've read a little about them, incredible creatures not read much about them though!