Which side do you dress.......

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
.......your pole. I am right handed and I hold my pole on the right side and use my left hand for the landing net. Presumably if you are left handed the opposite applies.

How do you hold yours?

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Well, I was recently lucky enough to catch an hour watching TV's greatest angling authority, Kn*bson Green. Along with everything else, he is completely ambidextrous, because he casts (badly, imho) with his right hand, then promptly transfers the rod to his left hand and the reels in with his right hand.

I wish I could learn to multi -task like that. It's what separates superstars like him from mere mortals like us, I suppose.............

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I hold mine very carefully in my left hand so I can swing the mallet more easily with my right when I'm driving it in as a pea stick....which is all a pole is good for in my bigotted,old-fashioned,change resistant and completely indifferent to well reasoned arguments in favour of poles way.

A pox on them.I do not nor will I ever use one.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, I write with my left hand and used to bowl left arm medium/fast, but I batted right handed. I play golf right handed (h/cap 7) but started off as a 'leftie' and changed after about 18 months.

I hold my pole to the right hand side leaving my left hand for the landing net, it just feels 'right' that way around and more 'natural' i think

When fishing a running line, trotting or on the waggler I can use either hand depending on the flow and on which side of the river I'm fishing.

When fishing rods on a pod then the reels are to my left hand side and the rod held in my right.

Ambidextrious?

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
.......your pole. I am right handed and I hold my pole on the right side and use my left hand for the landing net. Presumably if you are left handed the opposite applies.

How do you hold yours?
Same as yourself Peter, bait and landing net etc on the left, pole handled on the right...... unless I'm fishing to the right, then I'll reverse it all :rolleyes:

The bad one

Reaction score
but started off as a 'leftie'
Peter I don't believe that for one moment :D

I'm horrendously leftie in every way, but I don't have a pole of any kind, but have seen one or two lady poles I wouldn't mind holding in a none sexual way you understand :cool:
So I fish left-handed, however, when tip fishing my rods are always on my right-hand side and I strike right-handed :confused::confused::confused:

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Right handed and pole on right side, but why? Okay to use lending net in left hand, but I hold a normal rod in right hand, so when breaking down the pole, would it not be better to break down the sections on left side, hence holding pole top in right hand as you would a normal rod. Instead we hold the top sections in left hand then have to change hands over to the right in order to pick up the landing net. The only down side to this would be picking up a pole section instead of landing net and then you would also need the room for sections and landing on that side.

slime monster

Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me how some anglers lay out their gear ,right handed with bait tray on right side and keepnets 2 metres away ,old habits die hard I know but I always set out for maximum efficiency a legacy of my match fishing days .
all it takes is a bit of practice to loose feed left handed.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I agree slime, and what about pole anglers who have their seat box set too high on the legs and cant hold their pole properly.
Yes Ed i do have to change hands when I disconnect my top 3 or 4 . but I don't feel it's a disadvantage, in fact I never really thought about it before you said it.

Alan Taylor 3

Reaction score
I'm a freak!! I write left handed, throw darts left handed but throw a ball right handed. When I played cricket I bowled right handed & batted right handed but I play tennis & table tennis left handed!!

When I fished the pole it was from the left side but my bait tray was on the right side. You've made me all self conscious now............

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Well, I was recently lucky enough to catch an hour watching TV's greatest angling authority, Kn*bson Green. Along with everything else, he is completely ambidextrous, because he casts (badly, imho) with his right hand, then promptly transfers the rod to his left hand and the reels in with his right hand.

I wish I could learn to multi -task like that. It's what separates superstars like him from mere mortals like us, I suppose.............

Er um ...Kevin I too cast with my right hand then transfer the rod to my left and wind the reel with myrigth hand - I taught him everything he knows - andit shows:p

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Kn*bson Green. Along with everything else, he is completely ambidextrous,
Ok, I'm am....... ambi............ ambidex... trous - There! I've just come out. Hang on whilst I pop it back in.

For spinning and casting I can use both hands, not at the smae time, mind. For overhead reels (multipliers etc.) most of the time I reel in right handed and for fixed spool left-handed. For Poles - well I married one and I use both hands on her equally well. :)

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I am most definitely right handed but when fishing a river my bait is on my left side because I use my left hand to throw loose fed maggots because the rod is in my right hand. I can't see that the flow going left or right makes any difference to which hand you have the rod in unless you are one of those that strike exceptionally hard and long, its not what most match anglers would do, all thats needed is a short, quick strike.