Anglers, And The World Around Us??

I

ian jay

On eating Carp, (why not?) here, in the Czech Republic, this fish is a highly prized catch. In most waters, anything of 35cm is taken home and enjoyed!

We pay approx ?20 per year to fish the Prague waters, a similar amount to fish the rest of the country, and a extra ?20 to fish for trout, anywhere within the borders.

Where turky is the UK national Xmas dish, Carp is the Czech one - with potatoe salad. (The Czech Xmas is celebrated on the 24th, so I enjoy my 'proper' Xama dinner the next day ;-))

But what is it like to eat Carp? For one thing, it has a lot of bones. And, if it is from a small, still water you must put it in the bath for 3 days before you eat it. Not that I have ever exerienced a smelly, sweaty Czech at Xmas time, but tradition is tradition,!

ahoj!

Ian (Honza)

T

The Monk

I've seen them in the fish markets around the Black Sea, zander, carp, cats, for many people they are an essential part of their staple diet, nothing wrong with catching fish for food. The Czech republic is an absolutely beautiful country, I did a quick 5 day tour a few years ago. Whats the Czech carp record Ian?

D

Dave Rothery

I'm half Polish - to drive past some of their lakes and see 30lb+ commons lined up on tables for sale.........but then it used to beat queing for bread!! it is only a fish after all. they eat them on xmas eve.

M

Malcolm Bason

I've eaten Koi Carp. Went round a couples house for dinner, drinks, etc (she worked with the soon-to-be missus).

Was told what we were about to eat was a surprise!

We thought it would be fish of some sort as he was a Marine Biologist. It turned out that all his Koi from one pond in his garden died early that day - but we trusted his because of his profession!!

Okay taste-wise - but oh those bones!!

I

ian jay

The Monk

Not sure that the Czech Arp record is, but I have it in my Czech Angling book, that i have out on loan! When I get it back, I'll let you know.

But from what I remember, its similar to the UK one.

If you visit again, do it in the summer and bring your rods! I am thinking of organising a few fishing trips, and with all those low cost air fares from the UK, they could be inexpensive as well as enjoyable.

On that, if anyone is interested, drop me a private email.

T

The Monk

Many thanks for that Ian, I certainly will. Ron Clay went to Poland a few years ago and he told me of the fine fishing this country enjoys, as you will be aware Ian, the Polish are another peoples who celebrate course fish on the menu!

J

John McLaren

Returning to the subject of eating coarse fish, I have caught and eaten perch from a trout fishery where removal of coarse fish was mandatoryt, they are delicious (better than trout in my opinion).

In many cases the main problem is that the fish are the property of the club or business that owns the fishing rights, usually they have been purchased and stocked for angling purposes, if fish were to be taken for eating it would need some control, as in trout fisheries.

A strange anomaly though is that in some club mixed fisheries that I know you are required to return all coarse fish but may take a limited number of trout and Grayling without any mechanism for reporting what you have taken.

T

Tony wainwright (Twainy)

In the AM this week is a story about someone unable to gain access to a fishery as the bailifs car was blocking the gate.
The old Bill was there aswell.
It turns out that some Eastern Europeans, (refugees)were catching the fish from a commercial fishery and killing them for the table!!
They had to pay for the fish (dont know if they were allowed to eat them or not).