T

The Monk

The Utilitarianistic Bastions of Rigology
Beyond the Pharyngeal

Bite Offs!
What are they?

Possibly a quest for the modern rigology masters and analysists,
Rik are you out there?
Or possibly some of the fossils could back me up; Graham?

About ten years ago I wrote a series of technical articles for one of the monthly rags, one of these pieces was based on Bite Offs in Carp Fishing and the reasons for their occurrence. You may ask why have I posted this topic in the General Section, well this is because it has relevance to other cyprinidae (fish with throat teeth) as well as carp, although it has been discussed in carp fishing circles, probably much more than others. My article was based on a discussion I was having in another of the monthly rags with a young lad called Matt Haze who had suggested that while Chub fishing he had experience bite offs while using particles and monofilament. Matt’s suggestion to over come this was to change over to braid. My suggestion was the shorten the hook length and thus avoid the hook going beyond the pharyngeal all together, because of the possible dangers of deep hooking and I gave examples of the problems we had experienced while carp fishing in the 1970’s. Matt came back to my comments with a discussion about not wanting to use a carp fishing method with heavy bolt rigs cast amidst feeding and sensitive chub, unfortunately my reply was not published. Matt was a new kid on the block at the time and knowing I was a carp angler, wrongly assumed I was using bolt rig technology in the 1970’s, which of course we did not, simply because this methodology was not available at the time. So I based my feature on the problems that occurred with this type of suggested take, the” Bite Off”. The problem with the monthly’s is of course you don’t often get feedback and in this instance I didn’t!

Turning the clock back, much was written in the 1970’s about Bite Offs while carp fishing, this is something we experience while using mass and particle baits (hemp, corn, tares etc) when they became the” In bait”, for carp fishing, in this period. Our answer to the problem was to shorten the hook length, and the change did have some measure of sucess, but I now question, possibly not for the reasons we first though? As new methods came in, in the 1980’s, with the arrival of braids, bolt rigs and hairs, the problem appeared to go into decline. Because of this, and due to the fact that I’ve only ever caught two deep hooked carp, I question that what we considered to be Bite Offs, were they really the result of the hook going beyond the pharyngeal teeth of was it the result of something completely different? Now, I know many new writers often base their work on read knowledge other that that of their own personal experience experience (nothing wrong with this of course, I’ve done it myself), and by doing so, sometimes interpret falsely the information which the original writer was trying to convey, I’m not suggesting that this was the case with Matt, but I have read the works of others who, I would suggest this was the case.

My questions are; do chub anglers and others still experience this problem when using monofilament type lines? And how many fish get caught hooked beyond the pharyngeals, in this modern epoch, while using braid.

J

John Pleasance

So is that with fries or without,and did you want a standard coke or a large one?

I

ian jay

The Monk

I'm sure that Izaak Walton wrote about this in The Compleat Angler. ;-)

P

Paul Williams

I can't comment much cos i can't find my dictionary.....but was it anything to do with Linda Lovelace? i hear she was beyond the pharyneagal.

M

Malcolm Bason

Good job she did'nt have Pharyngeal teeth then eh Paul?

I'm well obfuscated Monk, so I'm not qualified to comment! Doh!!

R

Rodney Wrestt

Wouldn't the increased size of the average bait (large piece of luncheon meat, paste or boillie) as well as the more common use of the hair rig have the effect of reducing the bite off occuring so often?

P

Paul Williams

Rodders,
I'm getting into this clever stuff now!......i have to disagree though, i have never had my meat bitten off and i'm just an average sort of guy....is that obfusciating or am i on the right lines?

L

Laurie Harper

Only up to a point, Rodney. I'm very chary about using mono' hooklengths for chub because I've been bitten off so frequently and I don't like the thought of them swallowing a bait with a hook in it. Increasing bait size isn't really a solution, unlees you take it to ridiculous extremes - A chub of around two pounds could probably get a golf ball in its mouth. I've found bites a bit hard to come by, especially in winter, when using short hooklengths/hair rigs. My solution is to touch leger and strike as soon as possible.

T

The Monk

Ian, yes old Ike did actually mention bite offs, fancy you noticing that and he wouls have been freelining expect?!

Rodney, good point and probably true in some respects, we now of course have mini boilies and at times I have used only one on the hair, but never experience bite offs when using them with mono hooklinks, I really dont know?

Laurie, I'm pleased you have brought chub into the equation, have you deep hooked any while on mono?

Paul, never had luncheon meat bitten off, just occured iin particle fishing, corn and hemp on mono!

john, yes that with standard fries

hey, what do you say to a Phd in sociology

I'll have that with fries please mate ha ha ha!!!!

Sorry guys that should have read, "utalitarianistic", as in totalitarianistic, you missed that one Ian tee hee?

E

Eric Hayes

It`s never happened to me, but I use a minimum of 5lb hook length. The only time I have had a problem like that was using spade end hooks and light line (and yes the line was coming of the front of the shank) I use eyed all the time now and if I`m not using a knottles knot I still whip them on like a spade.

The only time I used to get a deep hooked chub was when I used small hooks with maggot and caster. But my preference is for a big bait when fishing for them now, the smallest hook I`m happy with is a size 12 and this ain`t a bad size with maggot and caster you just have to put more on the hook 3 or 4. I caught 3 nice Chub today using size 12`s with soft pellet side hooked and all three where lip hooked.

T

The Monk

I should of mentioned, my understanding of Bite offs, occur when fish are in a state of mass hysteria (preoccupied) I actually had one bite me off (allegedly) while using a plastic bead with a tippex slit marked on it, fishing over hemp?

T

The Monk

Thanks Eric, thats interesting, is this while ledgering free running?

E

Eric Hayes

monk I paternoster (I think that`s how you spell it)the feeder/bomb is attached with light line 2lb drennan hook length on a small swivel this is fixed using a small knot in the main line up from the hook and 2 of them small rubber sliding stop beads either side of the swivel.

I

ian jay

Talking of Linda Lovelace, did anyone see that remake of her film that was aimed at animal lovers - Deep Stoat?

I

ian jay

" .. you missed that one Ian tee hee?"

No, m8, choose to ignore it! ;-)