More Earth Quakes

T

The Monk

I'd hate to meet the Asthenosphere head on, not very good at swimming in moulten rock?

S

Stuart Johnson

The last one about 20 mins ago. EP centre have no got a clue. But here in Cheadle, Cheshire. The building shook and the computers on the desks startted to shake and slide. The first lasted about 4 seconds and the second lasted about 2 seconds.

T

The Monk

Thank God, another human, begining to think everyone had got swallowed up. I'd hate to be the last one on the planet, with no body to wind up!

I wonder it some naughty naughty person has been testing nukes, Saddam are you on line mate????????

T

The Monk

Epi centre Beswich, Manchester 3.5 on the scale, scary stuff!

D

Dave Rothery

we get them all the time daarn saarf, but theyre only wimpy little ones. Better dressed though. the ones you get are donated via charity's to you from us.

T

The Monk

Oh cheers Dave, we really appreciate that, were getting our own back through, just sent Ron fishing downm there!

T

The Monk

Actually the seismologists record these things all the time, and when you consider we are floating on liquid rock, its a bit of a worry, puts things in propective I supose?

T

The Monk

Better dressed Dave, I'll have you know I've just bough a new suite from the Oxfam in Cheshire, you get a better class of charity tailoring down there, last time I went to Liverpool to visit the charity shops I came out with a shell suite and yorkshire was worst, I can out looking like Frank Spencer?

I

ian jay

The Monk

Been a while since the earth last moved for you, eh? ;-)

S

Stuart Johnson

At a guest our Northern earth quake is the largest recorded in this country for a century.

Both McWallet and Monk droped their wallets at the same time.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
And Skive's jaw dropped when he realised they were both empty.

T

The Monk

Just pulled this off the web

BRITAIN HIT BY NEW EARTHQUAKE

THE North West was hit by four earth tremors today, shaking buildings across the region.

Manchester took the brunt of the first quake - a two-second rumble which was felt over a wide area of the city which struck just before 9am.

A smaller tremor hit about 10 minutes later and a third just after before 12.45pm.

The city's tallest structure, the CIS building, was put on red alert and the Royal Exchange Theatre and surrounding shops in the city centre have been evacuated.

The latest tremors happened 30 seconds apart and were felt as far away as Rochdale.

Workers in the city centre said the afternoon quake was stronger than the tremors this morning.

Emergency services reported dozens of calls, but said it is too early to comment if any damage had been caused.

The British Geological Survey says the first readings showed that the 9am earthquake had measured between 2.5 and three on the Richter scale.

Assistant seismologist Julian Bukits, said: "That is a fairly large earthquake for the UK, although we would not expect damage to have been caused."

He said the tremor was not comparable with that which shook the West Midlands last month, and which measured 4.8 on the scale.

Mr Bukits, at the Survey's headquarters in Edinburgh, said it appeared the earthquake had been confined to Greater Manchester, with reports coming in from Manchester and neighbouring Oldham, Salford and Stockport.

"Because it is such a densely populated area more people will have felt the effects and more people will have reported it," he said.

Readings are still being analysed. Mr Bukits said that if the tremor had measured 2.5 around 10 such earthquakes would be expected in the UK each year.

A special AOL earthquake message board began receiving postings just seconds after the first tremor struck, from across the North West region.

One member said: The bedroom shook and it felt that someone was on my roof."

Another added: "I live in a city centre flat above a basement carpark and thought a car had crashed the whole floor seemed to jerk suddenly."

T

The Monk

God forbid should a great crack appear in all the southern carp lakes and all the tame carpies get flushed down the drain?

I dont suppose you'd be able to move on the Trent then?

C

Clive Evans

From the official quote;
North West........densely populated area...
ie, dense people live in the north-west, confirmed!
Comment, Monk?

D

Dave Rothery

Monk- just noticed you got a "shell suite" from the oxfam. Must make a right noise when you sit down!! I'd stick to just the suits in future......

T

The Monk

Well yes Clive, we've certainly got our share!

I took it back Dave, didnt bring out the best in me?

G

Geoff Cowen

I would say the earthquake is gods way of telling Barthez to stop cheating at penalties.