Maggot gill

• Thread starter Tony wainwright (Twainy)
  • Start date
T

Tony wainwright (Twainy)

Last month I fished Rowley Lake in Burnley twice.I blanked both times.
Speaking to a bailiff of the club that owns it I was told that there were very few fish left in the lake as they had all been killed by "maggot gill".
I've never heard of it.
The strange thing was that there was a kingfisher feeding in a feeder stream to the lake so there were obviously some sort of fish in there.

G

Gerry Castles

Are you sure that wasn't 'gill maggot' (its a freshwater parasite).......not a lot of people know that!

T

The Monk

Here it is guys,
parasitic copepod with a name of its own is the gill maggot (Salmincola salmoneus) - another parasite of the poor salmon. Parasitic copepod species tend to be larger than free-living ones and have been known since antiquity - even Aristotle wrote about them.

Good aint I?

T

Tony wainwright (Twainy)

Hey monk whats all this ??????????????????
I just told it as it was told to me. It may well be gill maggot but I've never heard of that either.
Apparently this lake receives the run off from a local land fill site but investigations by the EA say that this run off has nothing to do with the deaths of the fish.

I

ian jay

The Monk

As you have introduced Aristotle:

"One would then expect that engaging in a cruel activity like angling would result in a cruel state of character, i.e., anglers would be cruel, because their activity is. But if, as I have already argued, all angler's cannot be charged with cruelty, then there is some reason to think the activity itself is not cruel."

Aristotle, "Nicomachean Ethics",
The Basic Works of Aristotle,
New York: Random House, 1941,
Richard McKeon

T

The Monk

Twainy???????????????means I dont know or didnt at the time!

Run off from a local landfill site, big problems mate, dodgy ground, landfills are capped these days and regularly drained, capped with special low porosity clays and liners, but it dosent always stop run offs, I've watched how they lay some of these, the older ones are largely ignored and forgotten about, they lechate into the natural water table, still a sensitive area mate.

In the past, as you are probably aware, some have exploded because of the methane build up, although they now tap into this as a local energy source.

Hope it sorts itself out?

T

The Monk

I'll go along with that Ian, didnt aristotle live in a barrel?

Now't wrong with a bit of Necromancing?

I

ian jay

Diogenes (the Dog) lived in the barrel. When Alexander the Great was riding by him one day, he told him to 'sod off', as he was casting a cold shadow across him.

I wonder if he paid rates?

;-)

T

The Monk

My lads doing a degree in Philosophy at Liverpool, dont know what sort of job he expects when he finishes?

I

ian jay

If he does not want to go into Academia, he can always do what a mate of mine who got his Ph.D (Phil) did, end up selling ice cream on Brighton beach!

I did it as a mature student, more of as a hobby. I really enjoyed most of it. However, it asks more questions than it answers ...

T

The Monk

He'll probably end up in academia, I dont think he has the slightest intention of every working for a living?

I thought PhD,s went to Macdonalds?

G

Gerry Castles

Absolutely none, but since when was 'relevance' a requirement on this forum ?

T

The Monk

Sorry Gerry no, I've just changed over my email addresses and I dont think its gone through yet, new one is nmllngabc123@aol.com, cheers Gerry, sorry about that mate

T

The Monk

Mark, in the brook bond picture card set the Salmon in the picture had recently (when the picture was taken) recovered from Maggot Gill!

G

Gerry Castles

Sorry Mark it was relevent, couldn't tell you why though. My e-mail to Monk was to let him know that a complete set of Brooke Bond Freshwater fish in the original album was sold on ebay.co.uk this afternoon. A bid of ?16.50 would have secured it. Hence I didn't have time for the niceties.

T

The Monk

Thanks Gerry, thats not a bad price mate, especially if it was in good condition, I'll keep my eyes open, would like a set in my collection, thanks again!