STURGEON

G

Gareth Lewis

My son an I, would love to fish for Sturgeon in the East Anglia region.Does any one know of a day ticket water.If so would you post a reply p;ease.

S

Steve Baker

I thought sturgeon were extinct in british waters as they need very cold water all year round. I know they used to be wide spread in british waters just after the 18th century. However i may be wrong.

P

Paul Williams

Stergeon have been introduced into a few stillwaters, problem is i can't think which ones!!! watch this space.

C

Carp Angler

I know a man from Cambridge who catches a few.
I'll try and get details.

C

Carp Angler

Fenland Fisheries, Meadow Drove, in Earith, Cambs. 01487 841858

They run to about 7 or 8lb and are caught on standard carp baits...

David Preston

Reaction score
There's a water near Wigan where you can catch sterlets (a small species of sturgeon).

I thought that wild sturgeon - caught up to very large sizes from some east coast rivers - were known as 'Fish Royal' i.e. any sturgeon caught have to be offered to the Crown before you can do anything with them.

C

Carp Angler

These are probably sterlets aswell Dave, I can't see anybody stocking genuine sturgeon, they probably wouldn't survive.

P

Paul Williams

David, from what i have been told you are right about sturgeon having to be offered to the crown in days gone by, i'll bet it's still one of those old laws still in place now! also i seem to remember a story of them coming up the Severn and i think there are records of one being "caught" as high up as Ironbridge, has anyone else heard that tale?

R

Rob Stubbs

There are sturgeon in Dovecote lake Nr Milton Keynes. I think they go to low 20's and they do come out reasonably often. One bloke had a couple of small ones last time I was there - on method fished fishy pellets.

Rob.

A

Alan Cooper

Many years ago (back in the 60's) Richard Walker ran an article (Angling Times)on the possibility of Sturgeon in the upper Ouse. Both he and Fred J had been broken on several occassions by "unstoppable fish." So far as I know, nothing came of their explorations and enquiries re these fish - whatever they were!

A

Alan Cooper

I do wonder Paul whether the "unstoppable fish" Walker and Taylor were talking about were very big barble back in the days when no-one fished for them on the upper Ouse. What I am unsure about is when did barble go into the Ouse or are they indigenous to the Ouse system? But any river system can become host to new species via the usual method of bird transference.

P

Paul Williams

Alan, you make a valid point, i to am unsure if Barbel were present in the river in those day's, i'm sure however that carp would have been and after my recent meetings with river carp i would say they would certainly be a handful on chubbing gear, so perhaps that is another possibility?

A

Alan Cooper

Impossible to say Paul but of one thing I am sure and that is there have always been VERY big fish around and most of us can recall experiences or tales which tell of "unstoppable fish." I remember fishing the Waveney once at Bungay (long ago)with a friend who decided to pike using an eel's head. He was using a trace and strong line (for those days) and whatever he hooked just went and went and could not be stopped, turned or anything. God knows what it was, we never saw an inkling of it.

M

Mike Fidler

I think that the indiginous population were all hunted out well over a century ago, but who's to say that there weren't some survivors? After all they found that supposedly extinct prehistoric fish not so long back alive and well. I understand that huge sturgeon still exist in the big european rivers like the Danube, i wonder if Budgie could enlighten us further?

J

James Ayling

I've only just caught up with this thread.

Sturgeon can be caught at Crow Green Fishery, Brentwood, Essex (A.K.A. Jason's). Day ticket is ?6.00. You can night fish as well.

Last summer in five trips I caught 3 sturgeon from 4-10lbs. I wasn't even targetting them as they were caught on the pole while after other species. I caught them in the margins on worm or luncheon meat fished over a bed of pellets.

G

Gareth Lewis

James, thanks for posting the infomation above. Do you have a phone number for Crow Green? Our works angling club is considering mounting an angling experdition there as one of our monthly outings.
Thanks to all who have replied to my request, so far.
My son and I have been studying up a little on Sturgeon lately. I will write it up an hopefully post it on this site during the weekend.
regards to all, Gareth.

J

James Ayling

Gareth, I'll supply more details after the weekend. I use the internet at work and I haven't got the details on me at the moment.

Crow Green has 4 Lakes. One is a syndicate water and another a small lake with only 4 or 5 swims. The other two are day ticket waters and one of them, the match lake, can be booked by clubs. Winning summer weights can reach around 70-80lbs and I've heard of several 100lb+ weights.

Both of the main day ticket lakes contain the same species of fish, Carp to 25lb, Bream, Tench, loads of quality Roach, Rudd, Golden Orfe, Sturgeon and Koi. The bigger lake (not the match lake)also has some BIG pike (25lb+) and Wels Catfish.

Hope this is helpful - telephone number to follow next week.

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

Sorry only just read this thread.As far as I know there are no Sturgeon in any of the European waters these days.I should imagine that water quality has some thing to do with this.The Volga in Russia still has plenty though and that is not the cleanest of rivers!

M

Mike Fidler

oh yeah, Beluga caviar. Never tried it I understand it's rather expensive. I think I'll stick to cod roe and chips!

on a serious note, are they the same species and how long have they got Left?