Ultra light

B

Bob Watson

I've just received my Harris angling catalogue, I'm sure many of you have one. I was looking with great interest at the ultra light tackle and lures and really fancy giving this a go. Anybody fished like this? Good fun or what?

S

Sean Meeghan

I'll show you my tackle when we next meet up!

I've used small plugs for chub and its great fun. Its the unly way to get any pleasure out of catching them (makes it more difficult)

Sits back and waits for wrap round!

S

Sean Meeghan

Nah mate. 9ft rods rated at 10 - 30g. They still cast 5g lures OK and you can land fish on them in Summer rivers. You really have to wade to fish a short rod effectively in our neck of the woods.

E

Eric Hayes

Bob it is fun and when you get a good day well worth the effort this is some of the thing I have found along the way when trying to fish ultralight lures.
8lb to 10lb braided line is a help when using the smaller lures. I like Berkley fire line for this. The best Reel in my opinion is a old mitchell 308,(it just sounds like your fishing when the anti-reverse is on plus it`s small and bomb proof) but most good small fixed spools are fine. Sean I like a 7ft rod its a good trade off when your trying to get under bank side vegetation, but like you say 9ft makes for a better length especially when fishing open water, but I find when fishing this type of lure I work them close in around rocks, under bushes, places likely to be holding pray fish and insects.

Sneak up and down keeping a low profile, it might get you some funny look`s from ramblers and the like but if it helps put fish on the bank who cares?

Bob I hope that helps.

One last point don`t pay through the nose it ain`t for everyone.

B

Bob Watson

Cheers guys,

Sean, I'm gonna order some lures from Harris' any recommendations? (not ultralight) 10 - 40gram cwt

K

keith reid

small rapalas , rapala shadraps , size 0 mepps , all get me trout , perch , pike and chub. Quantum do a really small fixed spool to suit a wee rod. And yes , it is good fun.

S

Sean Meeghan

Bob, how much do you want to spend? I'll have a look at the catalogue when I get home tonight. Off the top of my head (I keep a few lures in the thatch just in case) Rapala Shadrap, Bagley Stretch 1 Minus, Bucher Shallow Raider, Mean Pike, Kusaamo Professor, Mean Thin Lizzy, Creek Chub Pikie, Heddon Lucky 13, er thats about ?70 already and I haven't looked at the catalogue yet.

Come to think of it that might be an interesting new post:

A list of lures from the Harris catalogue to the value of ?80 suitable for a medium spinning rod (10g - 40g)

R

Rodney Wrestt

I like the rubber lures, small grubs, worms and shad types all these give a nice movement in the water even the small sizes. Wonder how the new F.M. Concept rod would work for some light luse fishing.

R

Ron Clay

It's great fun, especially for the smaller predators such as bass and perch.

I would still use at least a 10lb line and wire though.

On the Fenland drains you do need a bit of length in the rod if you are bank fishing. The FM Concept will be ideal.

D

David Will

I do wish though that Harris Angling just for once managed to send me a complete order.My latest consisted of spinners and spoons. Half are not in stock.