Play station games

• Thread starter Tony Wainwright (Twainy)
  • Start date
T

Tony Wainwright (Twainy)

Kevin would appear to have problems encouraging his son to leave the PS2 and go fishing with him.
I suggest that a new game for the PS2 is designed.
It should be a fishing game to get the kids interested in fishing.
This is where the problems arise.
A game which accurately reflects the excitement of fishing would hold the attention of an average kid for about half a nano second!
No, it needs to be much more exciting than that.
I suggest that the game needs to include the following:
All fish to be at least 200lb
All fish to have multiple rows of razor sharp teeth, numerous spines containing a deadly toxin and an intense desire for human flesh.
Fish must be able to ambush the unwary angler in a similar manner to a crocodile.
Of course if the fish possess weapons then so much the better.
Now sitting on the bank holding a rod is way too boring, instant gratification is necessary.
Anglers must chase the fish!
A type of scuba gear and a method of underwater propulsion, the faster the better would be required.
Hand to fin combat would be a pr-requisite and the more fire power the angler possesses the better the game will be.
Do you begin to see the problem?
The kids of today want instant results.
All of their lives they have seen things which give instant results, computers, videos, dvd's, computer games. They have never known anything different.
They havent grown up with just 3 channels on tv or having to walk a few miles to go fishing.
we just have to educate the kids and keep pushing to them the real joys and fulfillment that is fishing.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Kevin,
I have similar problems to some of yours, although myself and my brothers have to carry my sons tackle as his hands are full with the cool bag loaded with his snacks of sweets, crisps and drinks.....but he still catches in between bites. :eek:)

Tony,
There is a game and my son and I both play it as he nags me into it, it's called 'Fisherman's Bait 11' you fish all over the world in a pairs competition catching weird and wonderfull creatures......unfortunetly it brings out more rage than being cut up and people not indicating, the line must be a crap make as it breaks regularly and the fish always fight like monsters but are tiny on the scales.

S

Stuart Bullard

Nothing to do with fishing really, but why do I see so many articles about kids in front of TV's and computers, and parents saying they cannot get them away?

Perhaps I am old fashioned, but my two children know the rules.....and we stick to them.

Max 1 hour per day on TV and / or PC (unless the PC is for school work).
Their only chance of having a TV or PC in their bedroom is when they turn 18 and leave, otherwise no chance.
No internet access unless mum or dad is present.
They NEVER watch TV and eat (no TV in our kitchen area).

When I explain this to friends they always come out with the same old excuses like -

"Oh, they would be so embarrassed if their friends find out"
"I couldn't stand the grief from them if I tried that"
"It gets them out of my hair...."

Like this countries complete inability to treat crime effectively, I think we are lapsing into lazy parenting, and to blame it on anything other ourselves is completely wrong (IMHO).

And you know what, the kids love it because I have to "suffer" the same restrictions and it means I spend far more time with them.

Off soap box.

B

Brian Lewis

Stuart, with respect I think (IMHO) that you are falling into the common trap of generalising. What works for you and your family might not work for others and I don't think it means we are becoming "lazy" parents. In the final analysis we all try to do what we consider best for our children whether or not we are perceived as doing a good or bad job in the eyes of others. If your way works for you that is great. It might not work for everybody.

Kevin, another enjoyable and amusing article with lots of bits I can relate to with three young children of my own.

T

The Monk

Television and computers can be great educators apparently Bill Gates spent many childhood hours sat behind a screen, I suppose its all down to moderation and acceptable levels of balance.

J

John McLaren

I encouraged my son to fish when he was younger. I took him out a few times but always felt that thebesy chance of him taking up the sport was if he had pals who fished as well. He did go fishing on the local canal with one or two friends one summer and he even got to the stage of asking for his own tackle for his birthday, but the interest died and at 24 he has no interest whatsoever in angling.

Sad really, but perhaps one day he'll ask me to take him again. In the meantime I have the odd game of snooker with him, exchange views on all aspects of rock music and even occasionally borrow his PS2 controller. There's this great fishing game!!!

T

The Monk

Bit sad that John, maybe he will return to the sport though, Use to have to take my lad fishing from an early age, great at first then he started getting loads of tangles and used to have an habit (no pun)of pulling all my little bits out of the tackle box and losing them in the grass, as he gopt over though, he took to it like a fish in water and now shows me how to fish, he still takes all my bits out of my tackle box though, but now they finish up in his!

S

Stuart Bullard

Brian, cant agree more. I was being specific about what we do in our family, not generalising. Unfortunately my son doesn't understand the word "moderation", as Monk said, hence the some what draconian, but successful measures!!

And by the way Kevin, yes I enjoyed the read as well.

C

Chrisx Ess

Stuart certainly was not generalising about childrearing - only stating an opinion. I venture to suggest that more of us would agree with him than disagree. Perhaps we might adjourn from this thread to poll the votes in the bait box? Some reasoning might be interesting....

S

steve flook

Kev,
My kids are exactly the same. When they were little I was in my carp phase and so they spent many days and nights fishing with me. They became good anglers for their age, and then burnout struck. My daughter regularly won our junior matches. She`s even caught a 2lb roach, something I dream of every day. Now shes 16 she wouldnt dream of coming fishing.mess up me hair she says, or what if the boys see me etc. I had higher hopes for my son, but no. First came football, which severely curtailed my fishing as well, ie give us a lift, pick up me mates, help us training on a lovely windy overcast evening. Then it was computers, the dreaded psx syndrome . I even bought him a game boy hand held to take fishing, but no he wont come. Then out of the blue 2 weeks ago he asks to go fishing. Wants to catch a barbel he says. All my prayers are answered, so before he can change his mind its off to the tackle shop via KFC to keep his mind occupied. After 20 minutes its "how much longer" but eventually get there. Riveres perfect. We`ve already discussed where to fish ie "I`m not walking miles mind". So settled in to fish. First cast he loses a good fish. Damn, but its got him going. next cast bang, got him and he lands a 2lb barbel, well chuffed. Big smiles for the camera. An hour later, hes had 4 more, I havent had a bite and HE wants to go home. Check the time and its 17:50pm. Had previously been corresponding with Chris Lyons about his excellent Moonstrike website, and he gave me some "peak times", which was 18@12, so I talk Sam into staying just a bit longer. 15 mins later as i`m packing up I hear this strange sort of groaning noise and look round just in time to see my son being dragged downstream. Hastily slackening the drag and after a good 20 minute fight, with me steadying Sam and his rod many a time, the biggest barbel Ive ever seen flopped in the net. 13lb on the button. I`m not sure whose smile was the biggest. So, a new convert ?? Not a chance. Every time Ive been fishing since he hasnt wanted to come, and when I get back he just says " Get a big one did you ?" in a sarcastic micky taking way. Hes talking about coming pike fishing now though, cos he thinks he can catch a bigger one than me any time. Kids , dont you just love them.
ps Chris Lyons and his Moonstrike theories need to be taken seriously. Ive had 4 "coincidences" in 3 weeks. I`m sure he`s onto something.