Blair on Fishing

T

The Monk

Tony Blair anounced this week new moved to reintroduce fishing into games lessons.

I've got as much affection towards Blair as I had to Pol Pot, but I must admit to welcoming this recent move fro vote catching

In the sixties I attended a school which allowed a free games period with a choice to go fishing, this was great for me because I was usually fishing after school anyway. If was amazing though the amount of other kids who used to claim they were going fishing who never arrived at the actual bank, still thats kids I suppose!

What do you think about this move?

C

Chrisx Ess

Hey Thelonius - I've not heard about this one. Where did you pick it up? >>>

E

EC

As someone who takes kids fishing from school, it would be good if it was introduced widescale, the fact is though most kids wont get the chance because
a) The transport is too costly!
b) Scools are judged on results, nothing else matters, and if it isnt going to increase their GCSE results then it wont happen.
c)It is a child protection nightmare!

Some teacher has been charged with manslaughter this week because a little lad in his care died in a stream in the Lake District. Stops becoming so appealing when you know that an accident (possibly out of your control) could land you in court!

Anyone fancy helping out with a kids fishing trip?

T

The Monk

Yeah, times have changed unfortunately Eddie, maybe this will bring a widescale introduction, of course we are aware of the problems, the same problems of course as taking them on geography field trips and I think that's fairly widespread?

Chris, its been in the press this week mate!

E

EC

Not only that mate but staffing is now so low that its laughable! No chance of taking kids out in some schools because of the problems it causes when a member of staff is out for the day!

C

Carp Angler

I attend junior teach ins and fish ins (RMC run 4 a year) and find it very satisfying, especially when they are responsive and interested.

I'd help out at my local schools if I could.
I'm going to find out the full policy statement and then approach my local schools to see if they want a hand in organising/running any classes.

E

EC

Be sure you are insured big guy! Sportscoach Uk do a good coaches insurance, but to be fair you would be better taking the level 2 angling qualification first because most schools will not entertain anyone unless they have some form of qualification, and they are CRB'd! They (the school) would have their knackers cut off if they did and the person had 'history' shall we say, and I mean no disrespect in saying that, am just talking as one who regularly has to say 'no thanks' to often genuine guys wishing to help!

T

The Monk

Good on you Carp Anglers, I've dome a bit myself, very rewarding and these kids remember you are you grow old, itrs nice.

Yeah Eddie it is a problem, especially with schools, sadly understaffing appears to still be a major problem in education and you have to doubley cover your back these days, we live in a sick society, the reqards however are great and I welcome this new move, whiether anything will materialise though is another question?!

C

Carp Angler

I've had all the checks.
The wife is a registered childminder and they had to OK me as well.
(I don't know why as I'm either at work or fishing)
The insurance is a good point which I'll have to look into, but not at this stage.
Getting everything up and running is going to take a while.
If I only get involved in the organising (free venue, free bait etc etc) then at least I'll be doing something.

E

EC

Get Insured! Trust me! I have been teaching for 8 years and a qualified angling coach for the last 5, it will not be long before some youngster probably at the behest of their parents phones a 'no win no fee' solicitor because he/she got a hook in their finger whilst being coached. Pity the poor sod who isnt insured! I am not scaremongering mate, we are now getting so much mail from solicitors now because child x hurt her ankle playing netball that at one point our head was considering hiring a part time brief to deal with it! Nightmare mate!

P

Paul Williams

Eddie,
My lad is a member of our local scout troop and i have been voluntered as a leader/helper, i don't mind that and i fully understand the form filling required to clear me but this American style "sue em all" is destroying our ability to pass on our knowledge to the next generation, i was lucky enough as a kid to have men in my life who wanted to help and pass on their skills......we owe it to both past and future generations to do our bit......Kipling said "Better to light a few candles than complain about the dark"......like Carp angler i'll do my bit and get over any obstacles in the way.

D

Dave Godwin

Hi guys i must agree with Eddie get all the qualification or beware!!!!!!
i have been coaching for three years now privately, for my local council and even in France and i HAVE to have first aid, child protection, criminal records clearance, sport uk membership and insurance which make it very difficult to coach for nothing but all my clients know they are geting a professional service and i get no complaints about this, schools will only accept fully qualified coaches to cover themselves but you will have to try to find a school that is not anti-fishing first.
the kids want to do it, i personally coached over 100 kids this last summer holiday and still had to turn kids away, so i hope to be able to break into the schools soon

Dave

T

The Monk

Dave, what percentage of schools would you say are anti angling?

E

EC

Thats too broad a question Monkey, schools are no different than other elements in society, they each have their pro's and anti's, but in my experience if 'the head' is happy that it is a wholesome worthwhile activity, then happy days!

My advice to anyone who wants to do coaching, is this....

Do it! But do it properly and get qualified!

Try to get involved via organised activities in your particular region (say with local NFA coaches) you will be surprised how much coaching goes on without getting any sort of publicity, but all of these organised events are always desperately short of (qualified) volunteers.

Also if you become qualified and are helping a bona fide 'Angling Coaching Event' then the organiser will (or should have) the insurance sorted.

For example on Thursday I took a couple of kids to the Bridgie, a phonecall to NFA HQ before leaving made sure the event was logged, and as such we were all insured!

T

The Monk

Very sad Eddie, things where a lot different 20 years ago. Dave's post suggests that he has come up against schools which are anti angling, I was simply trying to find out roughly how many the antis do target schools as you are probably aware, so that would suggest some influence. Keep up the good work lad!

P

Paul Williams

I appreciate what you are saying about qualifications and i understand that schools, scouts etc have to make sure that instructors are up to the job but i have met so many people in my life with bits of paper telling me they know this and that when they know zilch that i treat a lot of it all as a nesacerry evil.
My wife works with a wonderful young lady who makes no secret of the abuse she suffered as a child. This young lady wants to help others and was asked to give a talk to some up and coming social workers so that they might get some insite into real life abuse........at the end of the talk the new social workers were asked if they had any questions........not one of them asked anything, they obviously knew it all!!
Life time experience is something no piece of paper will ever better....but for those of us who are interested what is the minimum qualification we need to "hold" in order to pass on something to the next generation......as far as angling is concerned?

T

The Monk

Point taken Paul on the bits of paper but they do help give some type of indication about the type of person you are about to employ, I embarked on a PGCE at few years ago and all credit to anyone in anyform of teaching, the person criteria was stiff and so it should be, information on health, police checks, charactor referencing etc. Having qualifications however doesn't necessarilly mean you are an expert in the field though? the learning process begins later.

E

EC

The main point of most coaching Paul is showing youngsters the absolute basics! How to set up, plumb up, put bait on, chuck it out, land a fish and look after a fish! Yes there are other elements, safety, litter, blah blah, so what you say regarding bits of paper is entirely correct, you dont need a list of qualifications to teach a kid how to cast!

The point is though, that without the need for bits of paper, access to children is made that much easier, however if someone is sick enough to want to do it, they will take the quals, and providing they havent got any previous, they can and will get access to kids.

It just means that normal people have to jump through the hoops higher and higher, in an attempt to weed out the pervs!

T

The Monk

Thank about the size of it Eddie, teaching certainly wasn't for me, the paper work alone was enough to put me off!