Pellet bans

Tim Birch

Reaction score
While i'm ranting, does anyone know why certain venues are banning carp pellets?
I thought they were supposed to be dietery balanced for course fish therefore good for them

C

Carp Angler

Probably because they're absolutely crap and no fish eat them.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Hmmmm, not a comment I would have expected from you Rik, is this your true feelings about them?

Tim,
I thought the reason might be with winter approaching it was to prevent overbaiting with something the fish might not eat in the colder weather, is the ban recent or is it permanent? I must say I dissagree with a ban on any bait, I think a limit on the amount used would be more constructive.

S

Stuart Bullard

Rik - explain? Having seen some of your postings in the past refer to use of pellets, I can only assume you use other types (e.g. betaine) rather than "carp" pellets??

C

Carp Angler

I mostly use trout, CSL or hemp pellets.
'carp' or 'coarse' pellets are some kind of alfalfa base without the the thing that makes trouties so appealing....the oil.

A bit like alcohol free beer.

I've used carp pellets, and although they undoubtably attract fish in overstocked commercial venues, they are no where near as effective as trouties.

S

Stuart Bullard

OK - thanks Rik. The "A bit like alcohol free beer" did it for me!!

Actually it reminds me of the discussion I had in Sainsbury's last week. I noticed tomato's labelled "specially grown for taste". So I asked one of the staff what all the other toms were grown for. If these ones were tasty, what were the others like?

By the end of it there was quite a little crowd gathered to hear the debate!

Sainsbury's........I hate them.

R

Ron Clay

Can't beat Morrisons mate. Don't get them dahn saarf though.

Tulip Luncheon meat at 45p!... :eek:)

Vodka at ?5.64 per 700 cl

SA Red wines at ?1.95

C

Clive Evans

Come on, Ron! They sell far more crap than just the three items you mentioned.
Same rule applies everywhere mate; you get what you pay for.
Hope you did better fishing than you do shopping. lol.

D

Dave Rothery

Its usually the uninformed, with things like boilie bans, pellet bans etc. I remember one agm the (match fishing) commitee wanting to ban boilies as all the other fish were on them. This was in the "long range"days of carp fishing, so we were all using 20mm+ baits. Like to see the roach that could eat that!
It escaped there notice that if the fish prefered the boilies, and were so "addicted" to them, why not use them instead of maggot? They didn't moan that there was all of a sudden double figure bream and tench around (strangely still being caught on sweetcorn, worm etc)
Pellet only becomes a problem if it is a "hungry"water, with no naturals, and only pellett going in. The same goes for "glugged" fishmeals

T

Tony Wainwright (Twainy)

Folowing on from the question of whether it is a winter only ban, I read somewhere that fishmeal baits are supposed to cause digestion problems during the winter months. Would this explain the ban?

C

Carp Angler

Yes it would explain the ban.

Because both are based on ill thought out logic and common myths.

Read Davids last line above yours Tony.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Tony,
that's the reason I would have though would be used as it's a common belief that fish can't/wouldn't eat pellets or fishmeal in winter. That's why I said a limit would have been preferable as the fish will still get to eat it if they want and the people making the ban won't have to worry about the pellets which they assume won't be eaten lying on the bottom.

T

Tony Wainwright (Twainy)

What is even worse is whn a fishery bans all pellets but their own. I can only presume that this is greed on their part?

D

Dave Rothery

I think its safe to assume that!!
One local day ticket puddle banned pellets, as uneaten bait was "causing the lake to silt up", and the silt was "full of uneaten boilies". this was a lake of approx 1.5 acres with 300 odd fish in there, many of them doubles.
a. cant believe there was any uneaten bait in there
b. most half decent mixes will have "dissolved" within a few days
and
c."crap" baits would have all floated to the top!

funnily enough, he had his own "special" pellet (?4 for 1lb!!!!!!) which was "specially formulated" and he wasn't actually an angler (well, a fluff chucker, but they dont count!!). I had a look round the back of one of his sheds one day, and there was a load of empty salmon pellet bags......?18 for 25kg - some profit margin!

P

Phil Hackett

Vodka at ?5.64 per 700 cl

God Ron you shop at some expensive shops mate! I only pay 70p a litre at the most for mine. And its not that sh** called Wadka from Varrington, it the real deal.
Most 21/2 litres comes free once a year from men who wear funny hats and long black overcoat speaking a strange language.
Noska danya!

P

Phil Hackett

P.S. My shipment arrived only 4 weeks ago as well! Nossskkkaaa dannyyyaaaa!

P

Phil Hackett

PPS
Do you really like the stuff Ron?
If so, I might and I say might, have a present for you next time we meet in a couple of weeks. Got a cabinet full of the dammed stuff!

P

Phil Hackett

Funny story for all here.
Some years ago I lived in flats and downstairs live a true Drunk. This guy would drink anything you gave him.
My younger brother was at the time in Army and based in Germany. Every time he came over on leave he stayed with me and always brought a carload of beer, fags and spirits with him. The spirit was always varied and local to whichever region he’d been in prior to coming over. On one particular occasion, he fetched the roughest bottle of snaps I ever had the misfortune to attempt to drink. God this made petrol from a Coleman stove taste sweet. After one glass each, we agreed that this stuff was foul and undrinkable by man.

To prove the point, we call the drunk up and gave him the bottle. His P**shole eyes lit up like Christmas tree light at the thought of having a litre bottle of snaps all to himself. An hour passed, and there was a knock on the door, and there stood the drunk with the bottle in his hand, which was still over half full. He said “err guys thank for this but I can’t drink it, its to rasping on the throat and lungs for me,” and insisted we have it back.

As we were also somewhat pi**ed, we took pity on him and invited him in for a real drink. Asbach Ulte (spelling?) five star German Brandy. This stuff is like nectar smooth as anything. The cheeky B*****d stayed until the bottle was empty and then left without a bye yer or leave yer.

Never got any more when our kid came home on leave though!

B

Birds Nest

MMM you cant fault quality Vodka... I'm off to Moscow in 2 weeks time ;-)