Fishing Clubs

D

Darren Russell

Who thinks that there should be fishing clubs to get children involved in fishing in each county?
It would help children who would like to fish who cant go on there own.

R

Richard Baker

Dear Darren,

THe way I see it, online fishing clubs like this are the way forward. communication is easy and more up to date then any standard angling club etc. Has fishimg magic ever organised junior fish ins. Most of the kids these days are a damn sight handier in the email and internet then most of us anyway,

Cheers

RIch

D

Darren Russell

Dear Rich,
You are probably right this website is good for youngsters who want to get involved because they can get loads of info that just one person could provide.
Thanks for your opinion
Darren

T

The Monk

Check out your local clubs Darren, they may have a junior section, many do, they are run by experienced members who are very helpful and keen to get the younger end involved with the sport!

P

Paul Williams

There is a thread elsewhere on the site that is directed at just this and to cut it to the quick the reason that the normal folk amongst us can't get involved with youngsters is because we have allowed the sick and perverted to contaminate society to the extent that those who wish to help are too frightened incase they are read wrongly or they come up against so much red tape it makes it imposible for them to get into a position to become cleared and then qualified to help........but we are getting to grips with it and the sicko's will not win.......a bit of help from those charging ?450 a day for "guiding" wouldn't go amiss!!!

E

Eddie Caldwell

If you are looking for instruction for youngsters in fly fishing try the Salmon & Trout Association. Increasingly they and the county branches offer special days for children but this varies from area to area.

Lancashire Branch has several days during the year when expert instructors are on hand to teach casting, etiquette, fish handling etc.

The Lancashire Branch Secretary: Linda Martin who will be pleased to pass on informations

Tel: 07044 033442

Eddie Caldwell

R

Richard Baker

This seems to be the way with fly fishing. My local fly fishing clubs always have days in the summer when youngsters are coached for free by qualified casting instructors. It seems to me that the fly fishing fraternity not only want to encourage people to fly fish but acknowledge that these people are the future of the sport (and the financial buyers of lots of tackle in the future). With fly fishing I think it is a little simpler. Teach someone to cast a basic nymph on stardard gear and they can take the hobby on in any direction from there. However, in coarse fishing should the child ledger, float fish, what bait etc. It can all be a little daunting. I would argue that from a starters point of view Fly fishing is easier to start and progress onwards by reading and watching others than coarse fishing is. anyone else any thoughts on this?

Cheers

Rich

S

Stuart Bullard

My club have an appalling attitude to kids and make no effort at all (and yes, I would help).

Personally, I would look to the affiliations / associations to set some form of governance standards with respect to junior development.

It would probably never happen because of the disparate nature of national associations, but if there was a strong central body there is no reason why they couldn't set some form of agenda /guidelines that clubs could follow in terms of Junior Development.

I bet if you pooled all the resources, from all the different bodies, you could probably harness a lot more productivity and get a program aimed at the two areas where it really matters - clubs and schools.

In the long run, more people, better educated (in the sport) has to be better for all concerned. Or does it?

Rich - interesting point with fly fishing. But not with my 8 year old, he would be deadly!