ever forgotten to turn your alarms on?

B

Brett Chilvers

Anyone got any good storys about missing rods, etc,

D

Dave Silvers

A couple of years ago fishing on my local "match carp" lake there was a match in progrress on the opposite bank.

This fishery has a good reputation for good match wieghts, but like all waters the regulars know how to get the best out of it.

The guy opposit spent 5 hours moaning and swearing to anybody and everybody about how
w**k the fishery was,- it must be empty - first and last time I come here- and so on and so on.

With about 20 minutes of the match left this guy reeled in to rebait and then decided to have a fag and a cup of coffee instead whilst launching another tirade about how effin usless the place was.

Whilst doing this his hook length had dropped into the water at his feet and he either hadn't noticed or couldn't be bothered.

Suddenly his rod tip bent over and then his rod and reel pulled slowly into the water.
the rod was towed across the lake to a weed bed and then disapeared beneath the surface and was never seen again.
The bloke's face was a picture and if it wasn't for the fact that this prat had left a tethered fish it would have been funny.

T

The Monk

Watched a guy on the St Laurence once, fishing back wind method he read it in a book(no clutch) despite being warned, he got a take and the rod took off like a spear, never to be seen again!

I

ian jay

This year, I have seen 7 rods pulled into the local river. (The margins being shallow and rocky saved them being towed into the depths of the river.)

One lad had to strip off to his underpants and wade out to retrieve his. Another, chased after his rod, grabbing it in about 1 meter of water. He stood in the cold water and managed to land a 18 lb common.
An interesting site at 6am on a summer's morning!

Tim Birch

Reaction score
Once realised battery had run out after about an hours fishing.
I was using alarm on second rod for margin carp while fishing feeder with the other.
A pull ring catfood tin lid was looped into my line about 4 feet in front of peg. I figured that if I couldnt hear that rattling across gravel when I got a bite then I'd be deaf.

Baz Green

Reaction score
HO HO HO Brett,

I know that story - Maybe you should tell the one about you going for a shit, but couldn't find it afterwards - BECAUSE - it was attached to your FOOT.

Speak to you soon

Barry

A

andrew jackson

I drove 120 miles last weekend only to discover I had left my alarms and rests proped up in the kitchen back at home.

S

steve flook

I introduced a friend to a new lake a few years back, and lo and behold 2 hours later he landed the big one. After reeling in to do photos etc I returned to my swim, cast out then realised my mate had my catty. Well its winter, hard water, 2 fish in an hour no chance so I walked to my mates swim (25 yds) and as I was there I had one bleep. Looking over there was a ripple in the margins and I says to my mate " pike... line bite". As I`m leaving we notice a "fin" moving slowly across the lake by my swim so me and my mate go to watch "the pike". As we stood above my rods for 30 seconds I glanced down to my flattened pod to see only one rod. The "pike" was the last 6" of my rod butt being towed across the lake. Quickly reeling the other rod in I ran round to cut it off and cast over where I thought the line was and hooked it first cast. On recovering the rod I started to reel in all relieved when the rod buckled over and the fish, still on charged off again. After yelling to my mate to bring the net I luckily landed a fine 18lb mirror. Not reccommended but breathtakingly funny at the time.ps the moral of this story is "Always set the baitrunner after casting, or else...."

S

steve flook

Another one....
When a club bailiff many years ago I met a friends "chopsy" son on one of our lakes, and after advising him (on bread fishing for tench) I told him to take off the anti reverse and keep a good eye on his rod `cos the carp were mad for bread too. My last words to him were " ...so dont come knocking on my door when you get your rod pulled in then " to the "yeah yeah " comments off the know it all lad.
Well, within an hour my mates wife is at the door with a sheepish looking son " I ONLY LOOKED AWAY FOR A MINUTE, HONEST" he said. Trudge down to the lake, get the boat out, look for the rod, find the rod pick it up and the carp is still on there. We played the fish back to the boat and it spat the hook out at us in disgust right at the net.
This was a regular occurence on this particularly weedy water. I was known to park the boat in my swim to save time. Saw half of a top of the range Shimano pole pulled out of a young lads hands in a match once by a carp. His dad didnt even know he had borrowed it. never found it either.
Also had a photo of a fellow bailiff mid air diving to catch his rod that had screamed off so fast the reel overran. He caught the rod, the fish was a 3lb common.

T

Tony Wainwright (Twainy)

What never ceases to amaze me is the power of small carp. The posting above is not unusual in that carp of 3lb are quite capable of taking a rod off its rest.
Been there, done it, lost rod & reel and both were brand new. This take was so savage that I couldnt catch the rod even though I was unhooking a fish only about 4 yds away!

T

The Monk

The wildies used to go like demons Twainy, comparable with river carp, practically a different specie, the acceleration rate has to be experienced to be believed, you dont backwind on these beauties.

S

Simon Webster

I wish I knew a water with real wildies in it these days.When I was a callow youth, I guess I caught what might be considered "wildies" at Badminton Estate Lake (Horse trials). My only recollection was that I did catch a few upto about 8lb on crust, and that they were quite difficult to get, although I did once get to pass the time of day with the late Princess Margaret who rode by on horseback once.... She was very pleasant! Simon

russ case

Reaction score
Fishing at throop the other day i met some bloke who had just settled down to fish after moving from a swim about 2 miles away on the other side only to find he had left his bait bucket at his last swim. He did see the funny side of it!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Cakey's the same Russ, when we first went to Walthamstow a year ago we fished the upper maynard about a 1.5 mile hike. He got his poor old son to lug his gear to his swim. He set up then realised he's left his bait at the car. A whole hour without cakey whilst fishing with him is just sheer heaven!

russ case

Reaction score
How old is your son Cakey my boy's 4. Last time we went out he caught a 2lb common and thought it was going to eat him!. I cant wait till he can carry the gear.