Long stay fishing

P

Paul Williams

Most of you will have seen Alan Wilsons terrific catch of roach in the weeklies, they are certainly huge fish of that there is no doubt,Alan spent 81 days on the water i don't want to sound like a green eyed monster but i don't think i could fish one water for that length of time, i like a little variation and about four days is enough for me, i know the water Alan fished, and to be honest a carp angler does similar things on there during the summer amassing a decent number of 20lb+ carp, do you lot think this is an acceptable practice on a smallish water with other members to consider?

C

Carp Angler

In the summer with others to consider it's probably very selfish, especially on that lake as it's quite small.

In the winter with not so many people about it's abit selfish, especially as his mate who wasn't fishing tied up the swim to one side of him aswell.

I personally can't fish one water for longer than a week, and that's only once or twice a year.
2 days is normally my max and then I want to do something different.

R

Rob Stubbs

Paul,
It could be considered a bit selfish but then fishing can be like that sometimes. It's really the rules that perhaps should be changed to say 2 nights max, or move swims after 2n etc. Like you I can't fish too long on one water in the UK. My sessions are usually 2 nights but I sometimes go up to 4 (rules permitting). If I'm abroard I'll do a week or perhaps a little longer.

Rob.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
I can't make up my mind on this one. My instinctive response is he is a selfish git.

But then again, extraordinary catches are made by people who are prepared to do the extraordinary. There are not too many people who have the time or inclination to do 81 days on the same swim. So I also have a bit of admiration for his endurance and single mindedness of achieving his goal.

He had paid his ticket, wasn't breaking any rules and caught some great fish. I can think of worse things happening in fishing.

P

Philip Inzani

I am pretty much in agreement with Dave.
I think I would get out of my mind doing that but he was prepared to put in the effort did not break any rules and got the rewards.

Going slightly off track...I think something like a 48 max stay rule always struck me as a good idea on small waters to stop timebandits taking out the best swims.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
'Timebandits'. I like that. It describes them nicely. Anglers who rob other anglers of their fair share of time in a going swim.

P

Paul Williams

Can't argue with the fact he had paid for his ticket, but a fair few others had also, the area was the supposed hot area as far as roach were concerned and arguably more so after a sustained 81 day baiting program.
The full time syndicate members pay one fee, the winter roachers pay another, imho all ticket holders should be allowed a fair crack, leaving bivveys up in swim whilst you go home for a few days work would not be allowed on a water under my control.
I payed for a full time (more expensive) ticket to fish the water year round, i was a little peeved to find there would be "new" members allowed.
Funnily enough i don't blame the owner, he has to make the waters he run's pay but it is a little annoying.

B

Bar Barbus

I must be sheltered and not in a bivvy!!!!

Paul - are you saying that members where allowed to put up their bivvy and then leave the swim reserved!!

When will this selfish attitude move to placing a notice forwarning anglers that for instance "P. Nighfisher will be visiting this swim on 27 August 2001 for 7 days, not fishing for 3 days in between or when going home to sleep, so please make a note in your diary"

Does what you say really happen?

In my mind leave the water - take your tackle - leave the swim for another.

P

Paul Williams

Bar, the practice of leaving a swim reserved (leaving the bivvy up) whilst the angler concerned goes of to work for a few days is a common occurance on some waters. In some situations (eg a very private or remote underfished water) it may, just may, be ok, but on a smallish syndicate or day ticket water?

B

Bar Barbus

well I don't think you need much of a reply from me.

I could understand if it was invite only, but surely for even a private or small syndicate there must be rules and agreements that the best swim is not being "Hogged" by a selfish angler.

I can see a thread that I would like to develop in a few days on a similar topic.

Watch this space.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
A club I belong to has a rule where you can leave the swim for 5 hours in every 24 hours to get provisions, bait, etc, which is pretty reasonable. Nobody fishes for more than a few days in any one stretch.

P

Paul Williams

They sound like sensible rules, if you are on a water for a few days i think it is resonable to reel in and nip out for this and that or even have a quick meal or shower.

B

Bar Barbus

What are the facilities for:

Toilets - or is it the nearest hedge
Sleeping - can you leave rods out in the water whilst doing this?
How many days can you stop for?

Just interested.

P

Paul Williams

Bar, (whats your real name?) facilities vary from water to water, it is nice to nip out for say fish and chips for yourself ( i usually ask others if they want any, made a few friends that way!!)
It's also nice to spruce up if you are fishing for a few days, it all helps to make us fish better if we feel good.
How long can we stay? thats another question for common sense in my opinion, a small day ticket water is different to a 200 acre pit that no one bothers much with, i have no desire to stop any angler doing their "thing" but if it affects others then that is the time to take a look at the situation and hopefully reach a sensible compromise.

C

Chris Bishop

You should see some of the zander mob up here. There have been a bunch of them camped on an island in the middle of some big pits for weeks. Real Swallows and Amazons stuff.

Four or five hours in a swim's usually enough for me but I did last all day in one once.

Mind you it did have a pub a couple of rod lengths down the bank with a very flexible attitude to issues like outdoor drinking, licensing hours etc.

P

Philip Inzani

I did not know that Alan Wilson was leaving the water as well during that time..I thought he now basically lived by his fishing venues full time ?
I dont think I like the idea of an angler leaving a bivvy up to go off to work or whatever for a few days..if you vacate the water for an extended time you should takes your stuff, although as Paul states if you are absolutely certain that it effects no one else for example a remote area of a huge pit then OK but how do you know that someone else did not turn up and want to fish there but saw a bivvy and so moved on ? I would also worry for my stuff!

One really annoying thing for me and worrying when you think about it is that some anglers are now working in groups. They phone each other to reserve swims and then move in when the other moves out. This way two or three anglers can tie up a swim for a whole season. The angler who basically fishes alone stands no chance in these situations.

P

Paul Williams

In all fairness to Alan Wilson it wasn't him who was leaving the swim for long periods (as far as i know!)

A

Andy Davis

It's a difficult situation: if it was a small syndicate water, i'd ask the other members about if it was OK to leave stuff in the swim or indeed to spend an extended period in the one swim.... but it does sound selfish to me, taking over the other swim with your non fishing mate whould really annoy me !

K

Keith Banks

81 days????????
2 hours in one swim is sometimes a long time for me.
Down to the river 1 hour before dark, fish 1 hour into dark then home.
Am I missing something.

Keith

P

Paul Williams

Just the same as me Kieth a 3lb 13oz roach !!!! each to his own eh?