The Carp Column

D

Dave Rothery

This is a serious question!
How did you work out the weed was 3"tall? I can do it with thick weed (the float rises slowly till its clear, or once the lead has landed, pull tight, then slowly drop the rod tip and see if it takes up the slack as the lead falls thru the weed) but how with sparse - unless you pulled it in?

C

Carp Angler

If you read the article Dave, it says

"I always put a hooklink on, so I can tell just how clean the spot actually is. This will then tell me how I need to present the bait and the length and style of hooklink required. If I pull in fresh, green, crispy weed, then I?m confident I?m fishing over emerging weed growth and the length of the strands will tell me how high it is."

D

Dave Rothery

Yup-missed that one- too much masterdebating (just for you monk!)
How d'you know you havent just snapped the weed 3"down?

D

Dave Rothery

Oh - i'm meant to READ the article, not just look at pictures!

S

Stuart Bullard

Having started to get into my carp fishing just this year, I love your Point 7 when using a marker -

"Cast accurately"

I followed the previous 6 points easily, but I have to say that accurate casting is something I have really struggled with. I'm hoping its a case of practice and time!

S

Simon Collier

Big Rik away from this point altogether,I have been carping now for over eight months
but I am still having problems onwhen or when not to strike on a drop back bite.
ps please help as this is starting to get on my nerves.

D

Dave Rothery

What rig are you using - weight of lead/hook size/hooklength length+material? how big a bait? are there any small fish most of the time the fish should be hooked by the time you get an indication, you shouldn't have to "strike"
(I wouldn't worry about that after 8months, most still worry about things like that after 20 years!)

D

Dave Rothery

If your fishing using method feeders - just sit on your hands until it roars off!

T

The Monk

Cheers for the masterdebating Dave, unfortunately my masterdebating verbosity is entering a diminishing epoch, due to my new job, much to the delight of many I expect?

S

Simon Collier

Dave cheers for replying,the method i'm using is 12lb direct mono with a 1ft lead
core.This is then attached to a helicopter rig with a 2.50z lead , then using 6-7inch
snakebite gold hooklength with inch stripped off the hook end.

S

Simon Collier

Sorry forgot to tell you the size of hook is 4 esp raptor,with 1 1/2 15mm boiles.

T

The Monk

Cheers mate, cant say too much, but I'm working as an advisor for the Government in employment terrorising time bandits on the local lakes (hows that for double standards)? sure beats journalism ha ha!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I'm well chuffed for you mate, no doubt your investigative uniform will not change?

C

Carp Angler

Simon,

Any indication is a take.

Simplisticly, if they move away, then the indicator rises, if they move towards you, the indicator drops (if its' heavy enough to counteract water movement, line weight etc etc)

If you're not contacting with the fish, then it might not be carp.

T

The Monk

It certainly different Stuart, they've basically thrown a huge diary at me with loads of presentions to do, clients to interview and meetings to attend and said good luck ha ha? roll on retirement!