This Fishing Life

J

John McLaren

Thanks Niel for your evocative article. I was beginning to think it's only me who goes without the hemp, can't tackle up efficiently in the dark and peform at a generally inept level most of the time. Sometimes I wonder why we do it but I guess it's like golf (I used to play) where every so often you accomplish the perfect shot and the hope of 18 holes of such shots is re-kindled.

In fishing its those moments when everything comes together in a special catch and you just know you've finally cracked it - until the next trip!

J

Jim Hinchley

Superb article
It happens to me and my mate sometimes but you learn to laugh at it (and each other).
We call it "shaping like a wet fart" - i dont know why?

C

Chris Bishop

On average, it all goes right for me approx once every 18 months. I'm next due for a good day round next April.

E

Eddie Caldwell

The same applies to trout fishing. Wind is problem when casting and "wind knots" can appear in a leader as if by magic. If it's not the wind its catching trees and bushes on the back cast or the fly hooks into your jacket - always at a point inaccessible to your hands so all the gear has to come off.
I've lost count of the number of times I slid down grassy banks or off slime covered stonework...... then the rain comes down in stair rods!

All good fun.

Eddie Caldwell

D

David Bruce

Eddie,
I have all the same problems and sympathise with you - but isn't it strange how they all seem to come together on certain days or particularly at certain times of the day... for me particularly as I am ' just giving it a few more casts in the hope of not having a blank day' then problem after problem comes along and I pack up in disgust and frustration from the blank and from the problems/ misfortune I have just, so unfairly, suffered. :-(

N

Niel Dunnage

Thanks for the comments, they're most appreciated. Its certainly true that when it does all come togeather it is that bit more special as a result.

I caught a big Common on float gear the other day on the last cast, made up for all the tangles, missed bites and traffic jams.

If I only I could ban chasing the clock ....

T

Tony Wainwright (Twainy)

Neil, great article, so good I e mailed it to your MD!!

J

John McLaren

Twainy, you weren't supposed to do that unless he didn't pay up!!!

J

john conway

Nice article Neil, nice to see everyone else has days when just as you think you’ve cracked it time wise the whole world suddenly needs your immediate
attention.

D

Dave Barringham

Who was it that said "to appreciate success, you need to experience failure"?

B

Bob Watson

Niel,

Great article, brings us all down to grass roots.

We all blank, more than we'd like to admit.
Part and parcel of our game.

Keep blanking, but keep entertaining(Dont mean it). Hook a GUDUN.

More PLZ