What's in a Name?

R

Ron Clay

A little while ago Anglers Mail made the statement that there were no "names" amongst the angler who contribute to FM.

I would like to know more about what they mean by a "name".

If it means a well known angler who has probably put more back into angling that he has taken out and who also has entertained and educated us over many years you don't have to look much further than our own Graham Marsden.

That apart, what do you really think it takes to become a "name"?

S

Stuart Johnson

There are more real names in anling hear on FM than you will see in AM.

To become a 'name' in angling IMO(Excluding Matchmen) Pinch other peoples ideas, send pictures of everything you catch to every angling publication under the son. Don't tell lies but be very economical with the truth. Exagerate at every opportunity. Dress every thing up. be aloof. This does apply to the genuine ones who have made to a 'name'. But applies to those who are hell bent on trying to become one at any cost.

S

Stuart Johnson

That should read this does not apply to the genuine ones. Sorry

P

Phil Heaton

We all have a 'name' and at times talk crap, at times talk sense, but hav'nt we all criticised the so called experts for being just the same.
This is the best angling 'publication' I have ever read, it contains balance, it can be thought provoking or light hearted, its informative but most of all its interactive.
I also read the anglers mail and afterwards although I may have learnt something or dissagreed with something apart from making comments on here then that is it 'till next week.

S

Stuart Johnson

Fred, your new picture makes you look younger, are digitaly enhancing:). If so help Ron out;-)

F

Fred Bonney

Thanks for that,it's the real me, but I've retired since the last one!
I think Ron's probably past help:eek:)

J

Jim Hinchley

i think that its technology and progress that finds AM decrying this website/its members.
If you go back 5 years there were only really 2 sources of upto date fishing information - the AT and AM.
Nowadays the resources available on the net must impact to some degree on the sales of these magazines.
Is this a conspiracy theory or am i losing it ?

G

Gerry Castles

So which forum does have a sprinkling of 'names' ? Pike & Predators used to have a string of names making regular contributions. Neville Fickling, Eddie Turner, Mick Brown, Gord Burton and Charlie Bettell. Only Charlie shows up these days, the rest appearing to have less thicker skins, since a small minority wished to hang draw and quarter all who make a living from the sport and in doing so, were truly offensive. Sticking an asterix or two into a piece of over-ripe phrasiology does not absolve you of the responsibility to keep it clean. Dave Kelbrick, in reply to recent criticism of his Fox jerkbaits, never bothered to do so directly on the forum, deciding to respond via the editor. His critics, in the main admitted that they had neither seen 'in the flesh' or used the offending lures.
The big thing about a forum is that unlike a magazine, there is a level of equality that is built in and everyone is entitled to a shout, however absurd. If Des writes the usual daft stuff in his AT column, our only right to reply is what the editor decides to print. Were he to say the same thing on a forum, he would have no control over the instant responses. Perhaps that's the key to why more names do not use forums, it would make them seem mortal and that would never do.
FM is okay (too many carp and match fishermen for my liking!) But it at least encourages contributors to have a say, names or otherwise and Andy Warhol's view that everyone will be famous for 15 minutes is never more true of fishing. I've felt fairly famous a number of times in my life when the fishing has surpassed expectations and I've had a line in a newspaper or a picture in a magazine.
There's that other 'name' on this forum, claims he was well known years ago, says he's caught a lot of big-toothed, long nosed african something or others,. can't remember his name, Ron something....is he still alive ?

G

Gerry Castles

He's also gone very quiet. Basking in all this glory no doubt.

T

Tony Wainwright (Twainy)

Hi Ron, nice to see you back.
I think there was a good point made about the angling magazines being worried about the internet competition.
IMHO the two main weeklies are just too full of pictures of every fish caught in the last week.
In short they are generally one dimensional.
I much prefer a publication which gives good information on tackle, methods, baits etc. I am heartily sick of page after page of "Lumps" of various sizes and species.
Its FM for me first and foremost. I discovered FM about 6 months ago and I try to look in every day.... and its ALL free. What more do you want?

C

Chris Bishop

Golf..? I've heard it all now...

Adopt Yorkshire accent, picture sun struggling through the mist-shrouded mills, Hovis advert music.

"...it were always raining on Denley Moor. Cept on days when it were fine.

"An' even then, there were an unusual amount of precipitation in't air."

A Citroen Saxo rattles to a halt on the ninth green. Flies erupt as a window opens, followed by the creak of a door.

A baffled figure emerges, scratching his head at the bivvies lined up along the fairway, with rows of neat clubs on rod pods.

"Ee lad - don't tha hate it when't circus from't south descend on tha favourite course........."

C

Chris Bishop

I believe the phrase of the time was he'd had a hatch.

R

Ron Clay

Eyup nahthen Chris,

Wot's that fish tha ewdin?

A though tha ewnly fished fir pike and zander lad.

(Lousy Yorkshire accent innit)

C

Chris Bishop

Perch caught by accident. Not smart enough to catch them on purpose.