tuition

N

Nick King

i`ve had a leeds centre pin reel sitting in its box for nearly two years now.i`ve never really had the time to get out and attempt to learn the art of pin fishing....is there any one out there with the patience to show a numpty how to use one????i live in northants,i have my own transport etc....paying for bait etc is no problem.....cheers nick.

S

Stuart Bullard

From personal experience its lots and lots of practice as well as tuition.

And that bloody Wallis cast........!!

A

Alan Roe

There are three of the best Wallis casters in the country and they all have the same first name.....Alan the surnames are Tompkins , Marshall and modesty forbids the name of the last

They have all got together and decided to put on a days event next June.........

The venue has been donated and will be announced early in the new year........

All will be welcome though it will be expected that a modest voluntary donation to charity would be proffered by attendees the plan is that this be split between Second Chance and the ACA though this has yet to be tidied up.

Children and young people must be accompanied by and appropriate parent or guardian.

There is a manufacturer who will be present and who will gladly display his wares. I am due to review on of his reels soon.....Watch this space.

A full formal announcement will be made across the angling sites about this event at the appropriate time but it will be a good do!

J

John Pleasance

Nick, your best bet is to get out there and give it a go, when you start don't try and fish with too light a float,I'd go for at least 6BB to start with, and don't try and fish too far out,you'll soon get the hang of it.

S

Shrek

Nick, I'd go with John's advice too. There is some good tuition on the threads if you go and search for them, also (if you can get it to play) a video clip of wallis casting.

I practised in the back garden for a bit and then went out and only took my 'pin with me and was Wallis casting fairly well. I had a few tangles but not many but was really pleased that I managed to crack it.

Let us know how you get on.

A

T

The Monk

Good luck Nick, you will certainly get plenty of good advice from the members of FM, it seems strange people asking for advice for a centre pin, we had to grow up with the bloody things, I don't think to this day though I ever really mastered the techniques of using them properly, thank god the centre pin has survived from the old days, good luck Nick, like everything else in life practice makes perfect! Have a look at match ariels mate!

S

Stuart Bullard

Nick, Johns advice re a heavy float is a good call.

Alan Jones (sorry I meant Roe). Definitely up for that.

W

Wag

If you are practicing the Wallis cast, (and I wouldn't profess to be an expert, but I think I'm competent), don't try to cast too far. Concentrate on keeping everything smooth. I usually find when I'm just trying to cast a few yards, every now and then everything just clicks, and I overshoot where I'm casting to by miles, which just proves to me how far I could cast with the Wallis if I spent more time at it.
Whatever, persevere, because when it comes together centrepin fishing is a pleasure in itself, and catching fish on this method is very addictive.

J

Jeff Daisy

I've just used my new boys toy ( youngs purist) for the first time on the kennet after a bit of saddo casting into the garden pond. The basics came fairly quickly but you will need lots of weight as previously said. Just get out there and give it a go, superb fun.