Right thats it !!

B

Birds Nest

Not content with raining for me for 3 months its now snowing....... I'm off to get a new bib and brace !! Anyone get out this weekend ? I know fair weather and all that...

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Yes, me and my mate Dave Colclough fished the Ribble for chub on Friday. Lovely snow and the river looked good apart from the ice in the margins. But we blanked.

Only to keep Sedge company of course. Don't want him thinking he's the only one who can blank.

P

Paul Williams

Same here! piking on the Severn, gave it a good shot with some VERY fresh decent baits and blanked, i moved, i fed the swim with maggots for 4 hours to attract the silver fish all to no avail! i bumped into a pal, same story from him, the Severn looked lifeless, and dispite frosts and being fairly low it had "that"
colour about it!.........this is one thing i agree with Des on, that colour is the kiss of death!!!!

D

Dave Johnson

Funny you mention that Paul. I fished the Severn twice last week and never had a touch. The river looked perfect, but there was something I couldnt put my finger on but after half an hour both days I knew i was going to struggle.
Makes you wonder if the prolonged floods have caused more damage than we thought?
managed to winkle a 4lb 3oz chub from the Sow early yesterday though, so that sort of made up for it.
Mild weather this week means barbel......can't wait!!!

M

Malcolm Bason

I drove 50 miles this morning to fish the Nene just the other side of Oundle, Northamptonshire - been there an hour - slipped on the bank and 'popped' my cartelage (sp) trying to stop myself from falling in!!!! Don't laugh, I SAID DON'T LAUGH!!! :-( I got in the emergency surgery and the doc signed me off work for a week!!! Oh woe is me!

P

Paul Williams

Malcolm, do you have any relatives in the SEDGEly area of the midlands??
Dave, When the Severns like "that" i try to convince myself today will be different, but it never is, and i have fished so hard at times!

S

Stewart Bloor

Ah, blankers unite is what I say...It's just good to see I'm not alone in my fish-less sessions at the moment. In fact, I've just got back from another, on the Sow...my response? I'm going back Wednesday....

A

Andy Davis

did somebody say blanking....I did again, but I'll be there next weekend!!

S

Stewart Bloor

Andy, one more blank and I'm taking up train spotting...but the way I'm going at the moment even they won't turn up on time (not that they do anyway, of course...).
Graham, is there a TRAINSPOTTINGmagic web site to go with the fishing, golf and bike one?

M

Mike Fidler

Sedge you sad person, come down here and come and catch some pike, bring that brummie fella with you as well.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Sedge, there's a good site called OUTDOORSmagic that can help you enjoy a good walk while you're blanking.

A

Alan Roe

I went on the Aire last week after chub and like the rest of you blanked though I feel it will be a different story this Thursday now that temps are rising again

M

Malcolm Bason

Hi Paul - no, not that I know of mate. But possible as (according to the 'Burkes peerage book of Bason's) there are more Bason's in Northamptonshire than the rest of the world put together! So we all could be related! I'm full of useless information like that.

R

Ryan Turner

What a bunch of blankers we've all been! Graham I fished the Ribble on Thursday and need I tell you the result. Fortunatley though I also fished on tuesday and managed a lone 4lb chub, only my second ribble fish this year in 4 or 5 sessions! It felt all the more satisfying for it though. Lets hope we've all had our blanks for this year eh!........now that is wishful thinking!!!

C

Carp Angler

Blanked yesterday on the Avon.
Went back today and had 2 small trout.
This was from a stretch that is noted as a lone large roach area.
The excitement of that first bite wasn't matched when that trout popped to the surface.
Another couple of hours tomorrow evening before work.
Just to use up the bread you understand.

M

Malcolm Bason

Personally, I propose a close season to run from the beginning of December, to the end of February - well, we only ever seem to blank, so...?? Only joking - ha ha ha ha

A

Andrew Miller

Just to be awkward I caught a great looking 14and a half pound pike from the R. Soar last Friday. Mind you I blanked the rest of the weekend!

C

Chris Bishop

I fished the Middle Level Saturday. One of these real Fen fogs descended on us and it froze up. When the last float got stuck in the ice I threw the rods in the car and repaired to the comfort of my local.

I'd been having a really good season up until New Year, best fish this year is an eight pounder.

Runs of blanks are truly soul-destroying. I went four or five weeks without even getting a take this time last year, once the cold sets in I just seem to hit the doldrums big style.

A

Alan Roe

Things are looking up chaps river Aire today below Carlton three chub 4lb 6 oz 4lb 8oz and 5lb 7oz I also had a couple of fish come unstuck one was a nice brownie