Help with fishing Cheese Paste.

jcs

Reaction score
Hi All
Just wonder which way you find the best way when fishing cheese paste.
Straight on the hook or on a hair around a cork ball.
Or do you do some thing different altogether,would like to hear your point's of veiw on this one.

Nigel (manu31999)

Eddie Hirst

Reaction score
I make mine fairly soft and use a hair with a small bead on it, it holds well for a good cast and leaves the hook point free :)

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
On the hook, a size 4 or 6 is just about right to give the paste something to mould around. Chub are very cunning fish and usually when they pick up a hair rigged bait it is between their big fat lips so when the angler strikes the hook flies out without hooking up. That is not to say you will never catch them with a hair rigged bait but your chances will be much improved if the bait is on or around the hook.

If you are fishing cheesepaste I am assuming chub are your target but if it is barbel you are targetting then they feed in a different manner, they suck the food directly into the mouth in which case a hair rigged bait will work.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Like Graham I put it straight onto the hook, size 4's or 6's usually.

I never use it on a hair rig for the same reasons that GW gave above.

Either way don't forget that Eels love cheese paste!

Beaker

Reaction score
Did you see the Tight Lines programme last Friday.Ian Welch showed how to use soft cheese incorporating Fox Armo Mesh.

Well I tried it on my local strech of the Thames on Saturday and caught two cracking chub,maybe it is worth a look.

quickcedo

Reaction score
Wrapped in a piece of tights. make a ball, pull material round, twist untill all goes tight then, tie off using dental floss (this doesn't slip) Trim wastage. Then hair rig as normal. Very short hair for Chub ie so the bait is touching the shank of the hook, longer for Barbel. By putting the paste in the material it allows you to fish much softer paste without worrying about loosing it. Works for me. And is much cheaper than arma mesh!

Beaker

Reaction score
Wrapped in a piece of tights. make a ball, pull material round, twist untill all goes tight then, tie off using dental floss (this doesn't slip) Trim wastage. Then hair rig as normal. Very short hair for Chub ie so the bait is touching the shank of the hook, longer for Barbel. By putting the paste in the material it allows you to fish much softer paste without worrying about loosing it. Works for me. And is much cheaper than arma mesh!
Great idea Mark,problem is I dont wear tights,well not anymore.

jcs

Reaction score
Thanks Lad's for all your tip's and help.

Hi Beaker
I did see tight line's last week and the arma Mesh is a thing i will be giving a go.
Looks great for Paste Meat Ball too.

Also going to give the Owner paste hooks a go,any of you onthe site use them.??????

Nigel (manu31999)

Beaker

Reaction score
One of my fishing friends wears ladies tights.

Well, he sort of has to ever since his wife found a pair in the glovebox of his car . . . . . . . . . . . . .
I honestly did wear them when I was a kid ,my mum gave me a pair to wear in winter as I couldn,t afford thermals,and do you know they worked except when one got the call of nature:wh

no-one in particular

Reaction score
straight cheese

Havn't been barble fishing for a long time now however, I did used to go to the Hampshire Avon many years ago. I had a fair bit of success with a cube of undiluted straight cheddar about half an inch in size. I used to thread this on the hook with a baiting needle and nothing else on the line; freelined. Lobed in and left and watching the line for bites I had a fair few barble with this method on cheese. There was enough weight in the cheese to cast and find a lie for itself.

quickcedo

Reaction score
One of my fishing friends wears ladies tights.

Well, he sort of has to ever since his wife found a pair in the glovebox of his car . . . . . . . . . . . . .

You could always cut a bit from his if you wanted to try it. Fortunately the crotch area is too thick and doesn't work as well!
On a more serious point, I have never caught on this method when I have nicked an old pair from the missus, and before all you lot start talking about the state of my my wifes tights. It's because they have been laundered! and have washing powder smell. The method has accounted for Barbel, Chub, Bream, Carp and Roach so far.