WATERPROOFS

J

Jeff Daisy

After years of using Barbour coats and not getting wet, two years ago I changed to a more modern design (Giant) but last weekend the coat let me down and I got very wet. Anyone got any ideas I need a coat that is waterproof rather than warm as I prefer to layer when it gets really cold. Thanks

W

Wag

Go to a motorbike dealers and get a lightweight waterproof coverall. They are a lot cheaper than tackle shops, pack down into a small bundle, are really waterproof and come in all sorts of colours, but not usually cammo, so if you're a tackle tart you'll have to try somewhere else.

T

The Monk

Still use barbours tried some of the all in ones but sweat too much, gortex arnt too bad the ex army stuff!

J

Jeff Daisy

cheers guys but the trouble is that i am a bit of a tackle tart! so it'll probably be one of the new style camo coats??

R

Richard Drayson

Hi Jeff,

The subject of waterproof gear usually crops up at this time of year.
Transworld Surplus offer a reasonable range of waterproofs suitable for the angler, just click on the link below.
Transworld Surplus

E

Eric Hayes

Like Jeff I prefer the Military stuff. And I can Highly recommend transworld, I ordered a head over and a pair of Gortex socks on Monday there where on my doorstep Thursday morning. Gortex gear is a bit of a price but well worth it, I would never use any of the designer angling gear my philosophy is: if it`s good enough for the military it`s good enough for me, well them boy live in there gear, and it`s been proven in some of the most Extream conditions.

E

Eric Hayes

What you do have to bear in mind when using the military stuff is layering the under garments to trap layers of air and wick moisture away from your skin so that it evaperates. you might like to looki at some of the Military thermal layers the Norgi thermal top and pants are an Excelant bit of gear when it`s cold.

E

Eric Hayes

Also it makes you look like your one of them militia types and you end up getting MI5, MI6, CIA, FBI, NSA and sometimes the local constabulary looking through your bin in the middle of the night. :eek:)

Not realy but you do look a bit of a t*at

E

Eric Hayes

the start of my first post should have read:

Like Richard I prefer the Military stuff.
And not Like Jeff I prefer the Military stuff.

I`ve been on night`s and my brain cell ain't working due in part to the erection I had when I awoke. but It`s gone now so now I`m fully functional again....almost

T

The Monk

I got along with you on that Eric, love the camo stuff have it in urban, midnight, desert and tropical, makes me look like rambo (ish)use the face paint for stalking, nearly got locked up once, they thought I was with the IRA?

E

Eric Hayes

Monk I bet you don`t need the military gear to look like a deviant, that would just be overkill ;)

A

Andrew Thomas

Look at the French army issue camo stuff on Transworld, I've got the jacket and it's faultless, unless you count not having external pockets.(two internal instead)

R

Robert Woods

I've got the pants with braces to match the coat, they almost cover my chest like a bib & braces!!!.Also I don't have to cut 12" off the legs-ideal for us short bums!!!. The only thing with all this camo gear is that the dogs walking along the canal don't see you.

J

Jeff Daisy

Cheers guys it seems that the RAMBO look is the one to go for?? BUT i'm not sure, might just stay with the BARBOUR.
thanks anyhow