Forum Stats

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
This is to inform all members that we have the following statistics for last month, January 2010. They are visits to the forums only and not counting visits to the main site etc.

61,511 Visits
This is the total number of visits, but includes those who may sign in twice in a day or more.

30,428 Unique Visitors
This is the more important figure showing the unique visitors, identified by unique IP addresses.

443,601 Pageviews
7.21 Average Pageviews
These figures must speak for themselves.

00:07:40 Time on Site
As does this in hours, minutes, and seconds.

44.20% Bounce Rate
Bounce rate represents those who came to the forums, but didn’t stay long. I can’t find out what the time limit is, but as an example, it is someone who found us through a Google search, had a quick look and may have returned reasonably quickly. It could also be a member taking a quick look in from work whilst the boss ain’t looking.

42.63% New Visits
This is a key figure, if we can assume that of the 30,428 unique visitors, 42.63% were new that means almost 13,000 were new visitors. A few of those might be current members and people who have changed their IP address or are using a different PC, some may also be part of that Bounce Rate, but hopefully, enough are new and are looking for a good angling website and in Fishingmagic have found it.

Let’s hope they stay with us.

(I hope I got these descriptions right from our Techy guy, Colin.) :wh

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Wow........!!!!

What a lot of impressive whizz-bang stats about FORUM traffic, still no info on ARTICLE hits though..............

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
But we all think your articles are a hit KP!!!!

Flattery will get you everything.......!!!!

An articel 'hits' counter has long been one of my little niggles. Don't mind people not posting comments on articles (not just mine)but it would certainly (imho) help the author to gauge how well it has been received (or not, in my case..) and may help them to shpae future offerings

Rant over.......

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score

An articel 'hits' counter has long been one of my little niggles. Don't mind people not posting comments on articles (not just mine)but it would certainly (imho) help the author to gauge how well it has been received (or not, in my case..) and may help them to shpae future offerings

Rant over.......

Congratulations Kevin, you've got mail!

Reaction score

No it won't! Your kindness in terms of the excellent range of Tickle Tackle products you donate as freebies to grovelling creeps like me (Lord Paul, PJ, etc etc) is not being replicated by either Quorum (sic) or the excellent Patrick Leigh from Palais Trucks. Come on guys at our age most of us can't stoop any lower!!

Looks like persistance has gained your wish!! Although the image of Woody as Fairy Godmother is one I'm currently trying to erase from my mind. (Bet he's played the role somewhere though:eek:)

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Posh

You know you are TIckletackles' adopted charity case, and any old tat/returns/broken items are plamed off to you poste-haste with our complements.
TT stickers will be available at the forthcoming GM FIsh-In bash, at prices that we consider to be less than excessive, given their rarity and the price they fetch on eBay......

Jeff

Thankyou, as they said on Rowan and Martins' 'Laugh-In'
Verrry Interesting............!!1

no-one in particular

Reaction score
More questions

The problem with articles is they are usually just a statement or a story and the authors do not often ask questions inviting the reader to reply. If they where encouraged to do this and include a few questions in relation to thier subject I feel they would receive more replies. The forum on the other hand is question based and that's why it gets a lot of traffic. Just a thought.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Kevin I've just sold the car with the TT sticker on it - I'm sure it helped me get top whack for it!

Need a new sticker now :)

---------- Post added at 17:47 ---------- Previous post was at 17:46 ----------

So what about the stats for my articles Jeff? :eek:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Although the image of Woody as Fairy Godmother is one I'm currently trying to erase from my mind. (Bet he's played the role somewhere though)

Hey, I don't look half bad in a tu-tu!
man-in-tutu.jpg

Sean, I'll work on it, but it ain't as easy.

---------- Post added at 17:58 ---------- Previous post was at 17:54 ----------

Thankyou, as they said on Rowan and Martins' 'Laugh-In'
Verrry Interesting............!!1

But are you a lot happier now? Did they meet your expectations? Are you now goign to stop keep reading your own articles just to boost the viewing figures?

Ooooops, sorry everyone, you weren't supposed to know that. :D :eek: :) ;)

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Fishing Magic could and should be much more popular than it currently is. The transfer from Magicalia was a life saver but the archive organisation was largely lost in the move.

As a result a quick look in Features doesn't reveal the massive strength of the archives. The real selling point of FM is that within its archives are some very strong and almost unique series that are ideal for beginners and anyone wanting to improve their skills/knowledge. But at the moment these series are almost invisible unless you know how to search for them and if you don't know that they're there you won't find them. The great thing about this reference material is that it doesn't date either.

The ball is in Woody's court to reassemble 'First Class Fishing', my 'Commercial Fisheries' series, my 'Beginner's Essentials', Frothey's 'Carp' series, Barrie Rickard's 'Opinion' and their equivalents for chub, barbel, trout, pike etc. Much archive material is far less relevant and given the priority of getting the important stuff probably doesn't matter too much.

I have just found that 'Beginner's Essentials' appears when you just click on features but not when you hold the mouse on features and select Beginners?

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
The ball is in Woody's court

Urgh, there are TWO of us, why mine alone? Whenever someone asks about a series, I try my hardest to find it/them and redress them if I can. However, I don't know half of the stuff that ever went up so how am I expected to find because if they don't know I don't know. Half the time the photos are missing or useless and I don't have a clue what they were anyway.

Also, don't forget that it's easy to say "You do it." for someone speaking from the comforts of an armchair. I'm only here two days a week (or equivalent) and the rest of it I work as a driver for the elderly. I think those who have nowt to do at all could help, I'll send you all your stuff so you can reassemble it then I can repair the site, eh?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Jeff,

A couple of important points:

I addressed it to you because you are the FEATURES editor but I don't care whether you or Geoff address this.

I am trying to help in a very positive way. I agree that with only a couple of days per week it represents a lot of effort but series such as the ones I did and Dave Cooper did were done whilst holding down full time jobs and we did not get paid to do them and did them in the odd hour each evening instead of watching tv! But they represent (along with other similar series by others) the most valuable resource that FM has got and therefore are worth making easily available so that the beginner/experienced angler realises what a brilliant website this is.

Instead of throwing your toys out of the pram why not take a more pragmatic approach. This task will take months to achieve gradually but it is definitely worth doing. It might only be possible to spare three hours a week but progress can be made. Plan it properly, ask around to see what series exist and get help to track them down and rectify them. Make a judgment on what needs referencing and what doesn't. Take the trouble to talk to people like me, Dave Cooper, Frothey etc. We're the writers that brought you these articles.

Old Nick

Reaction score
Can the old site contributors re submit their articles? I'm sure you wouldn't have deleted the originals!

This should make Woody and Geoff's lives easier, the members and visitors get a very valuable resource back, and those writing the articles can see a reward for their efforts.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Probably best to resubmit anyway as many of the longer articles have big chunks missing.

I've got all mine if you want them!

Might be about time Fishing the Yorkshire Rivers for Barbel got a re-run :wh

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
So... the question is, how do we make these vital archive articles more prominent then? Do we need to point them out somehow? All suggestions (sensible ones anyway) welcomed. (In fact, anything which might make the site better!)

If the writers can give me a list of those important archive pieces, and supply any text and/or images that are missing, I'll do it piecemeal as and when.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
you are the FEATURES editor
Fair point but it's a title only, Geoff and I do the same jobs.

series such as the ones I did and Dave Cooper did were done whilst holding down full time jobs and we did not get paid to do them and did them in the odd hour each evening instead of watching tv!
And cast your mind back Mark, I did the same, lots of articles without pay and whilst NOT watching TV. I rarely watch TV.

Instead of throwing your toys out of the pram why not take a more pragmatic approach.
The problem I now have is I'm forever looking over my shoulder in case some sill ..... member wants to quote Archimedes' principal at me. You, fortunately, don't have to carry such a curse.

Oh, and I still say your partially wrong about buoyancy. Nice trick with the nail though, should go into the bunco booth.

Take the trouble to talk to people like me, Dave Cooper, Frothey etc.

I have no way of contacting Dave, sadly. I only met him twice before and we never swapped addresses, but I just took out 1 hour of my TV time to have a look at First Class Fishing and barring a couple of photos, most of it is there and has been slightly modified for this site. Whether Graham did it or me, I did do some of Dave's, I can't remember.

You should remember what GM has probably told you about the hours he put into Fishingmagic, way and above what he was asked to do. Same goes for myself, but only so many hours in a day and wasting time answering these points doesn't help either.

---------- Post added at 22:58 ---------- Previous post was at 22:55 ----------

Can the old site contributors re submit their articles? I'm sure you wouldn't have deleted the originals!
Good point Nick!

I have no idea what they wrote so I'm as blind as people trying to find something they don't know exists. If those writers (who complain) would like to look up all of their works and list their titles for me I'd be happy to try and find time to patch the old system HTML back up.

Very constructive Nick. Thanks.

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Colin has the complete database of articles and pictures from the old site.

It's time, in that there isn't enough of it, that is the curse, but in fairness to Jeff, sorting out the best reference type articles and pictures is something we planned to do. Somehow though, you have to find time to fit it in between editing and uploading current submissions, answering emails and forum questions, etc, etc.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Colin has the complete database of articles and pictures from the old site.
Fine, but marrying up which photos go with which article is the problem. It's like trying to make an Airfix kit without instructions and all the parts from all the different kits thrown in.

First phase, is - which articles are still broken. I could spend a day looking for them only to find the ones I look at are OK, reasonably.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Fishing Magic could and should be much more popular than it currently is. The transfer from Magicalia was a life saver but the archive organisation was largely lost in the move.

The ball is in Woody's court to reassemble 'First Class Fishing', my 'Commercial Fisheries' series, my 'Beginner's Essentials', Frothey's 'Carp' series, Barrie Rickard's 'Opinion' and their equivalents for chub, barbel, trout, pike etc. Much archive material is far less relevant and given the priority of getting the important stuff probably doesn't matter too much.

"my this series" "my that series" - Mark why are this more important and other stuff less relevant?

Last edited: