Burton Mere

S

stu black

Hi all,
Do any of you fish Burton Mere at all? I've just realised its only 30 miles away and I really want a crack at the cats in there. I've had a look at their website and I really fancy spending some time there.

Do you think its worthwhile targetting cats through the winter or would I be better off concentrating totally on my "special lake" for carp?

My main problem is that there's too much fishing to do and only 7 days in a week!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

I'm sure some will disagree but i've in the main always found cating during the colder months pretty much a waste of time. I'd stay on the 'special lake'.

Graham might have more info on Burton

Graham?

T

Tony Wainwright (Twainy)

Stu,I used to fish there a few years ago when I lived on the Wirral and they used to catch pussies at night at about 12" depth in 6" of water using a big lobworm. I dont know about cats in winter mate. Graham is friendly with the owner so he may help. I've always found them to be very helpful if you give them a ring.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Burton is better than your typical commercial and the lads there will help you out. Good tackle and bait shop as well. Don't ask Terry Knight for a discount though (weak heart and wouldn't survive).

There are some good cats in Burton and well worth fishin for in the warmer months but otherwise I'd agree with Warren and leave them alone in winter. I'm not saying they'd be impossible to catch but the effort wouldn't be worth the return.

S

stu black

Right then, Cheers for the info folks, think I'll wait till the summer on that one then.

S

Steve Watson

I fish Burton-mere a lot, it is a very good venue in my opinion. Loads of stock and very lads. Graham is right, don't ask for discounts (Truthfully Terry is a good laugh!)

T

Tony Wainwright (Twainy)

Some of the carp anglers should give Burton Mere a try. It has good fish and the surroundings really are beautiful. Its a gorgeous place.

I

Ian Whittaker

Nice water etc. BIG RATS!Cats start coming out on boilie in April.

S

stu black

just in time for my birthday then :)

Are the rats a problem there?

I

Ian Whittaker

No more than many other places Stu.
Twainy, so its right what they sing about scallies at the footy -"find a dead rat and they think its a treat!"? No wonder you left mate!

T

Tony Wainwright (Twainy)

They never got the words quite right as they didnt fit in with the song. It should be "Find a FRESH dead rat and think its a treat"
Mind you its amazing the flavours that a few chillies can hide!!

I

Ian Whittaker

Sounds like a good recipe for Kev Perkins;
Chilli con Rattus( alias Lobscouse)

John Williams 8

Reaction score
Hi all, just wondering if anybody has fished burton recently how is willow pool fishing? And what baits am i best off fishing for the carp and barbel.
thanks, John