Kama Kama Kama

C

Cakey

On Saturday I paid a visit to my local tackle shop to buy some Kamasan B725 and was told they are no longer available and have been replaced by B745.
Are they having me on or they right ?
Also the B745's are teflon coated ,is this good?

C

Carp Angler

Never heard of the 725's.

I've got the original B175 (designed as a trad wet fly hook) and they've since bought out a carpers equivalent,(teflon coated as you say) but they are both still available.

C

Carp Angler

I didn't mean never heard, I meant never used.

B175's are a great design for carping because of the semi-long shank, inturned eye, lightish weight (yet strong) and small barb.

As I'm aware B745's are identical, just heavier in the wire and teflon coated. (anti glare?? and easier to penetrate??)

C

Carp Angler

Oh yeah I forgot.
B175 ?2.50 for 25 (trout hook)
B725/B745 etc ?2.50 for 10 (carp hook)

S

Stuart Bullard

Rik, a question.

I was looking thru the hook section in my local on Sat (when we should have been fishing at Atcham..grrrr) and I noticed the longer shank hooks. I cant remember the make, but they were clearly longer than the ESP raptors (or the ones I was looking at anyway).

When would you use the longer shanks, or is it a case of preference in patern etc??

C

Carp Angler

What you need to determine is what you require your rig to do.
Once YOU are happy with what you want the rig to do, then you need to assemble it with the components you believe will do the job.
The hook is just one of these components, if you believe an extended shank will give a better turn, then you either use longer shank hooks or tubing to create this effect.
If you want the bait to travel along the shank (a la sliding D rig or blowback) and want a longer shank then that's what you need to use.

Different patterns for different scenarios.
(there are only a few different patterns, but loads of suppliers or they call themselves manufacturers)

D

Dave Rothery

Some of the kamasan grub/emerger hooks look familiar......

C

Carp Angler

Kamasan and Drennan hooks are one and the same.
Drennan and ESP are one and the same.

It doesn't take masses of intelligence to work out a scam.

S

Stuart Bullard

I guess that was my question, which hook pattern for which scenario. But for the moment I think that is getting ahead of myself. If I start loosing fish on takes then I guess it might be the right time to get into a bit more complexity??

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
As much as I continue my quest in search of new theories and solutions to complicated problems, I'm now questioning if these complicated problems are there in the first place and whether or not we're over complicating things to begin with. No doubt if I bought into the fact that we are in fact over complicating things, then no sooner would I be looking into whether or not we're not complicating things and start all over by uncomplicating the complicated! Sorry, but after reading back what I wrote, I now wonder whether or not I've once again complicated things or in fact they weren't that complicated in the first place?

cue 'the monk' for an uncomplicated post about overcomplicating the uncomplicated!! Help!

B

Brian Lewis

Well said Stuart. I haven't a clue what it means, but well said!

C

Cakey

Stu
where did I say the 745 's were better than your 725's a? a? a?

but after playing with them they are ,have a look,the big difference is they are teflon coated .

Anyone interested can look HERE

C

Carp Angler

Cakey, when you started, they were still using bone for hooks.

I fixed your dead link.

A

Alan (brush) Broomhead

I used the teflon coated hooks once, but the fish kept sliding off!!

SD .... very true, but somewhat of an over-simplification of a comprehensive and complicated subject!!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

What you need to determine is what you require your rig to do.
Once YOU are happy with what you want the rig to do, then you need to assemble it with the components you believe will do the job.
The hook is just one of these components, if you believe an extended shank will give a better turn, then you either use longer shank hooks or tubing to create this effect.

W

Whats copy n paste then??????

Is it a decorating term?

W

Karma Karma Karma Karma Karma Chameleon
You come and go
You come and go
Loving would be easy
if the colours were like my dreams
Red, gold and green