Winter Carping..........

C

Carp Angler

I thought I'd start the thread before Stuart does.

Sensible goals mate.
You can't expect to catch on every trip.
A new water for you this year and during winter, then you are right to lower your expectations.

The long nights are certainly something that can drive you a bit 'stir crazy'.

D

Dave Rothery

Good idea mate-we lower our expectations on a new bait(sometimes) new venue and in winter, so by rights, dont expect to catch anything!!
Having a youngun is ideal for giving you something to do at night (mmmmmmmsleeeeep)-its almost a bit of a bugger when you catch something!
Is it me, or is it still incredibly mild for novemeber? ok its warmer in the southwest(gulf stream and all that) but i was in a t-shirt in my sleeping bag last night. should keep the fish going!

J

john conway

Yes Dave it is getting warmer, I?ve been recording min. max. temps for the last six years at work (Boiler Efficiencies etc) and there is a slight upward trend. However, if or when the polar ice caps dump enough fresh water into the sea, the gulf stream will change direction or stop altogether, then we will get the same winter temperatures as Montreal. So lads make the best out of the present mild winters life?s going to get quite interesting, fishing wise, in the years to come. May be we need to look at stocking a few carp form the St Lawrence River?

T

The Monk

ST Lawence, Montreal John, god forbid, I can remember the pylons collapsing under the weight of ice a few years back, Montreal was in blackout, as you know you can drive a tank over the St Lawence some winters, an area of extremes!

A

andrew jackson

Lower your expectations fair enough, but you have to remain positive and confident. If you let your expectations fall to low you will simply jack in till the spring. Some waters can actualy be more prolific in winter than in summer if you are fishing the right spots. I can only think this is because a large chunk of the lakes inhabitants are holed up in a small area rather than spread all over the lake.

S

Stuart Bullard

Rik, you are a wheeeeeze!

"You can't expect to catch on every trip."

What is the bloody difference between Summer and Winter then?!? For me anyway.

But what is the key difference in strategy for winter, if there is any. Yes, I know it depends on the water etc, but there must be some generalities?

John, you are correct about the gulf stream shifting if the polar caps melt, however I doubt if we would get Montreals summer as a balance!! Not many people realise that the UK is as far north as Moscow (or at least the top half is).

And by the way, global warming started before we invented any engines, fossil fuels, chemicals etc.

D

Dave Rothery

Moscow gets hot summers......
Key difference(to me)-location is muchmuch more important in winter-its unlikely fish will "patrol" into your swim, and feeding spells are much shorter

C

Carp Angler

Dave's right, location is everything.

Locate their safe areas and locate their feeding areas.

It's all hard work and graft I'm afraid.

S

Stuart Bullard

Is it usually deeper water in winter, or is this too much of a generalisation?

D

Dave Rothery

as a sweeping generalisation, no!
fish dont tend to sit deep in high air pressure cycles, and shallow water can be warmer on sunny calm days
quite a lot was written on

<a href="www.fishingmagic.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?URN=1&UTN=5123&SP=&V=1&cp=1>Just about here</a>

hope it helps

D

Dave Rothery

What happenend there?

"winter holdings thread" - about a month ago

C

Carp Angler

I'd say that as the water temp starts to lower, then the deeper water is the last to cool down.
This means that the natural food in the deeper areas is the last to disappear.

This means that in the early winter, then you will generally find the fish feeding in the deeper areas.
During the middle of the winter, then you need to find their feeding depth.
Shallower water warms quicker than deeper, so shallow areas on sunny days is worth a go.

C

Clive Evans

Rik, on smaller lakes where it is fairly easy to search out all the holding areas, what would you expect the Winter/summer catch ratio to be?