Frozen Baits & Paste

C

Chris Isaacs

Whats the Bobby Moore with these little fellas? Can you refreeze them or is is best to take just as many as you need? Question also applies to pastes.

C

Carp Angler

Depends on the bait.

If it's a food bait, then refreezing them loses all their effectiveness (food value) IMHO.

I've found that certain attractor baits (Tuttis etc) get better when you refreeze them.

and we've got another Mo Slater in the fold, you're having a cream bath me 'ol china.....

S

Stuart Bullard

Come on chaps, anyone from the east-end will know that you only use the first word. For example someone is on the "dog"....... not "dog and bone".

Rik, can you explain what you mean by a "food bait" and "attractor bait". I don't understand the difference.

And Chris, be careful when you mention Gods name. Oh how we need a footballer of that calibre again.......West Ham and England that is!

D

Dave Rothery

Attractor baits rely on smell/taste - ie the promise of food
food baits rely on the fact that fish recognise(?) that there is a "nutritional" benefit to eating the bait
there is a theory that longterm food baits should be made up of lots of ingredients, and little flavour, so that the fish cant "recognise" one particular flavour/taste in the bait, so its got less chance of blowing. views anyone?

A

Andrew Thomas

So how can we tell which is which with commercially marketed baits?

C

Carp Angler

With frozen baits, the companies all claim that their baits are good food baits.

You have to determine what is really food and what is attractor.

S

Stuart Bullard

So in your determinations Rik, for example, what would Activ-8 boilies be? And can they be both?

D

Dave Rothery

Some food baits do taste nice, and i think fish do like some so called "crap" ingredients. We all eat low fat health food dont we.........

S

Stuart Bullard

No.....not unless you include Stella and 1664!

So what is an Activ-8 then?

B

Birds Nest

Always thought of Active-8 as a food bait... Things like Tutties and Pineapple as attactor baits... I could (and expect to be) very wide of the mark mind you...

C

Carp Angler

I agree BN, I think of A8, Grange, Club mix etc as food baits, and view Tuttis etc as attractor baits.
But if you look at the Richworth bumf, then they say Tuttis are a food bait.

A8 isn't an HNV, but a food bait, there is a difference.

Food baits can be air dried, or kept unfrozen for a couple of days.
HNV's start to lose their effective pulling power after 8 to 12 hours.

B

Birds Nest

I've been wondering about flavouring some home rolled A8's... An attractive flavoured food bait... But surely food baits are attractive any way... I dunno its all confusing to me... HNV... Can't even start to think about that...

Wheres that tin of luncheon meat gone...?

C

Carp Angler

Quite a few people I know have added something extra to A8, when the original has started to lose its effectiveness.

I've never found the need to change what is, for me at least, my perfect bait.

B

Birds Nest

Food for thought... I'm quite happy with it how it is at the moment...

C

Carp Angler

Ask Warren how good my Active-8 paste is.

It's all in the eggs and the preparation you know.

If I'm looking for a quick hit, I'll up the liquid to egg level and this seems to work very well for barbel and chub. (and bream......)
If I'm using it longish term on a lake, then I'll keep to the recommended levels or slightly lower.

This is just for paste obviously.
My boilies I buy ready rolled from Mainline, or if from a tackle shop, then only the ones in the proper Mainline bags.
(unless I know the shop and I know for definite that they only buy them from Mainline)

B

Birds Nest

Warren, how good is Rik's A8 Paste? ;-)

I've been stung by the "not in mainline bag" goings on...

Quick question, is it safe to refreeze the paste/Boilies?

C

Carp Angler

Personally, I don't.
If they've been out for a while and I can't prebait with them, then I tend to air dry them.