Hurray for Richard Lee

R

Ron Clay

I couln't agree more with Richard Lee's statement in AT this week. He really hits it on the head in terms of commercial fisheries v wild waters.

You are right Richard. I'll bet there are thousand of anglers who have never caught a truly wild fish. Get out on a river and catch one, like Richard says: "you won't know what's hit you".

R

Richard Drayson

Hi Ron,
Hasn't this subject been mentioned before in the angling press?

All very well until you trudge a mile across the fields only to find another angler in your favourite swim.

At the moment this only happens occasionally where I fish which is perfectly alright with me,as anybody has the right to fish 'my' swim.

When the hordes descend on the rivers in numbers though, there won't be any swims left to fish and of course they'll want to ban the closed season!

I'd much rather things stayed as they are at present.

Selfish? Perhaps... certainly realistic!!!

(Blue touchpaper well alight)

D

David Will

And in the same issue of the AT the spectre of closed season abolishment on the rivers is brought up again which for purely financial reasons the Times wants.There are plenty of people fishing rivers it is just that those who are and are catching are not telling the Angling Times or the Mail in fear of having the sheep descending on their little bit of heaven. I read that Christchurch have sold all their tickets for the next season for the first time in 65 years. That can't all be Carpies can it? Maybe lots of folk want to catch a huge Chub or Barbel but when they do the papers will be the last to know.

D

Dave Rothery

Is that like all those wild triploid rainbow trout in the rivers??

P

Paul Williams

Hear Hear David.....the rivers are well used in areas where the sheep can follow!

S

Sean Meeghan

Don't panic lads. If you're prepared to walk more than a few hundred yards you'll never be stuck for a place to fish. Throw in a few stiles and a fence ot two and even the trolley brigade are going to struggle.

R

Richard Lee

The Times wants the rivers open?
Can't remember ever saying that... and the article is only in the paper as we have a responsibilty to publish the news.
I want what's best for angling - an open river season won't make a jot of financial difference to the press.
Years ago, when stillwaters were closed, I'd agree, but things have changed and fishing is already an all-year-round pursuit.
What I'd like to happen is for the season to be in place for a scientific reason, not one based on some antiquated ideal. It would be nice to be presented with facts.
Personally, I love the rivers and there's miles to share, so the more anglers the merrier. As things stand there isn't enough focus on running water, that's why there isn't enough habitat improvement schemes or stockings. If millions fished the rivers, there would be lots of pressure for improvement and we'd see change.

C

Chris Bishop

Richard,

With respect there's a bigger picture here which the angling media haven't really grasped yet.

Anglers (and fish...) are now the third placed priority as far as the management of most of our lowland rivers is concerned.

Flood prevention comes first, because despite all the warnings flood plains are still being covered in concrete and tarmac at the rate of tens of thousands of acres a year, our climate is becoming much wetter at a rate of knots and sea levels are rising.

Visit Fenland before Fenland visits you, because in a generation or two's time an awful lot more rivers are going to be straightened, dredged, embanked and flow-controlled.

Their main purpose for six months of the year is going to be getting rid of floodwater as quickly as possible.

Second, believe it or not, is a toss up between water supply and tourism. Plans are well advanced to link the Great Ouse with the Thames, via a new link to the Grand Union Canal; and the Thames to the Severn, via the restored Thames/Severn Canal.

British Waterways, which is stumping up much of the money for this, has already announced it is studying whether the newly-linked river/canal systems could be used to move water from one side of the country to another, or ever carry waste by the modern equivalent of the old canal barges.

This company - which has already hinted it wants to take over rod licences/fisheries work from the EA - has clearly realised there is going to be mega money in water, because not so far down the road we're going to have too much of it half the year and not enough the other half.

If you currently have to travel to the Fens to fish for zander don't worry. They'll be on their way to a river near you soon.

On a slightly more serious note (I know, zander are already in the Thames...), what are all these sudden changes of flow and water level - which will presumably accompany water movements - going to do to fish fry..?

Look how quickly generations of silver fish disappeared from the Great Ouse Relief Channel a few years back. The shrimpers were dredging them up in The Wash.

Tourism-wise, the British Tourism Authority has already calculated how much being linked to the rest of the inland waterways system could benefit many towns in East Anglia.

More boats is the bottom line. Or boats on waters which are either off limits or too out on limb at the moment.

In some part of the Broads, river wardens already turn a blind eye to people fishing from hire cruisers during the close season.

This will almost certainly be a major factor as far as areas like the Broads are concerned.

I agreee the close season's unscientific. Well, the idea's a good one, but the timing's out of synch.

I was catching spawned-out pike in the first week of March this year. On the same water, I watched carp spawning in July.

I love rivers too, but I think we're going to see a lot of changes in years to come and it's time we got to grips with them and made sure we're heard too, amid the clamour for more houses, more water and more tourism...

It's not about whether or not you hang the rods up on March 15th and hit B&Q - it could well turn out to be a battle for survival in many parts of the country.

G

Guy Robb

Please god never let the close season go on rivers, when chub and barbel spawn on the smaller rivers they become very visable,also they would be at their largest weights so would be targeted by the prize hunters,as barbel go through their spawning rituals they would be very vunerable to foul hooking,I really cant see why anglers cant give the fish a break, it may not be scientific but would be in the ;spirit; of what we would have the public believe we are about.

P

Paul Williams

Guy,
Are barbel all we have to consider?...not a pop at your ideals, in a way i'm of the same ilk, but surely the whole picture should be looked at?

G

Guy Robb

Paul what is the whole picture,that people are to selfish or too greedy to give nature a break,there are plenty of nasty little carp puddles for the desperate to fish,RESPECT YOUR QUARRY or lose it for good.

J

John McLaren

The problem is that the fish all spawn at different times, often outside of the present close season. So, with due respect to Richard Lee's desire to see a scientific basis for the closure, I doubt that one can be found.

Is there not a simpler argument? All aspects of life need a rest - whether it is our weekend away from work, annual holiday, sporting close seasons or any of a large number of similar breaks.

Allowing rivers to be fished all year adds an un-necessary pressure whether the fish are spawning or not. If we want to fish during the close season there are now hundreds of still waters to choose from, so why change things.

I know the circumstances are not necessarily comparable but it is the commercial pressure to continue high volume fishing for cod etc that has led to the near extinction of the species - and still they won't listen!

C

Carp Angler

Guy,

nice to see a balanced view without any bias or vitriol.

Didn't we have the same non-factual arguments about stillwaters?

G

Guy Robb

I think that the stillwaters should also uphold a break,non stop fishing speaking for myself is flying in the face of anglings conservation message, all that angling is becoming is some lowbrow bootsale willing to sell its soul to keep the tackle trade happy,dont you miss that sense of excitement after the break, of making new swims from over grown banks, getting away from D.I.Y to fish again, I think that angling is rapidly losing that romantic twinkle that made us anglers in the first place.

R

Ron Clay

I agree Guy.

I tnink it would be a good idea to adjust the dayes of the close season somewhat, say 1st April to 31st June.

D

David Will

The Times wants the rivers open?
Can't remember ever saying that.

No you don't have to Richard.
We have a close season on rivers.The onus must be on those who want it removed to come up with the evidence as they are in the minority despite your polls.

P

Paul Williams

Guy,
My point was/is that we can't use the spawning time of one species to dictate the keeping or period of any close season......and why do we have to pack in fishing on the rivers in march, just as they could come good?
I must admit i do miss the magic of the 16th on stillwaters sometimes but after much soul searching i have come to admit it is only because it made life easier for me and nothing to do with fish or fish conservation.........i'm all for regulating fishing to the benifit of the fish, but at the very least i think the river closed season needs looking at and debating in a fair manner, problem is we have barbel anglers on one side screaming to keep it and match anglers on the other screaming to scrap it.........then we have the comics using out of date imformation to profit from the issue......Oops Richard will be after me again, you know what these Brummies are like!!
Yam Yam Williams

P

Paul Williams

PS.....Rons dates would be spot on, it would give the bounty hunters time to really target spawn bound pike on the spawning grounds......but they aint barbel so it's ok.

G

Guy Robb

Matches can be fished on any bag up puddle,and pike try to bite me, look I think its o.k as it is, change is not essential, its just the money men trying to fleece a few people for longer, with no reguard to the sport or its traditions