"Big River Barbel"

M

Michael Waters

Barbel from big rivers seem to be the 'in thing', well after travelling in to work today over ashurst bridge on the Medway everyone should try this spot, at 8:00am this morning it was 15 ft above normal levels and 40yds wide!!! and Rising, Now where is my canoe. May try spear fishing on the feilds on the way home

R

Ron Clay

Only 40 yards wide. The Tidal Trent the other day was well over 100 yards wide with dead pigs and whole oak trees floating down.

And then the tsunami arrived.

S

Stuart Bullard

Michael, and it makes you wonder why they ruined that river with their ridiculous flood prevention schemes. Did you ever know The Shallows area??

M

Michael Waters

Stuart,
I knew the shallows, fished there in my youth, Yes they have ruined the river to some extent, and it seems no matter what they do to prevent flooding it still goes on. All I can now do is wait for the levels to drop and see whats left. How well do you know the medway, I am a bit rusty on it having just moved back into the area after 22 years away.

S

Stuart Bullard

Well Michael, I have fished it extensively from the Leigh / Penshurst stretch right up thru Fordcombe and up to Balls Green. i.e. above the weir (or what was the weir, now that horrible dam and canal below).

The Fordcombe stretch gets a lot of pressure for the barbel there, however all along the stretch I mentioned there are some excellent (and large) chub.

Fishing is a bit difficult due to the very steep banks and some strecthes have not really recovered from Foot and Mouth when very little was done to maintain swims.

It depends what you are after really. I still love fishing in the Penhurst area but have concentrated my river time on the River Lea near Waltham Abbey the last few winters.

M

Michael Waters

I have to admit that the river has been spoiled, but as you say there are some nice swims, I suppose I am lucky that I travel through penhurst every day and see the river in all its moods. As to what I am after, well my real passion is Roach during the winter, never got into the Barbel thing, but would certainly not sniff at the chance. Looking at the levels today they are still high, but dropping so providing no more rain a trip sunday could be on the cards.