Get knotted!

W

Wag

What a brilliant article. All the confusion over knots wrapped up and reduced to four types for all occasions.
Every beginner (and every other angler) should read this article, print it off, and practice all the knots mentioned. No more excuses for break offs, no more argument about the best knot for the job.

R

Ron Clay

A very well put together article. As Carl says, print it off and keep it in your tackle bag.

J

Jeremy Airey

Hi Mr Chilton
Good article!
Nice to see one of my 'must' knots getting some attention. The non-slip mono loop knot.
It really is the best all round knot for loops - bar none. The Bimini Hitch MAY be marginally stonger but is such a pain to tie quickly and well.
I even use this knot instead of 'twiddling' or crimps when using stranded wire - using only 2 turns around the standing part of the line. In 10 years or more of using this knot I have never had one fail me whatever material it was tied in.
Would I be correct in thinking that it is based on what 'salty sea dog' types call a 'Bowline on the bight'?
again good article
regards
Jeremy Airey

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It's worth bearing in mind that the bulk of Kryston's business is lines and that it is in Dave's own best interests to ensure that anglers tie the best knots in those lines.

I know for a fact that Dave Chilton has studied lines, the materials they're made from, and the knots to tie them, in great depth. I don't know anybody who is better qualified to write such an article.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Excellent article - seems I,ve been using the wrong loop knot all these years!

A query for Dave - any problems with attaching two loops(correctly tied!) together to join a hook length to the main line for example?

If not whats the best alternative?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Kryston are busy moving to new premises last week and this week and Dave will be up to his eyes in muck and bullets for a while. I'll put your question to him as soon as they're settled in and he can give it some thought.

Although I would imagine his answer would be 'no', no problem with loop to loop attachment providing both loops are tied correctly.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Thanks Graham - Ill be practising the new knot for a while anyway!

L

Laurie Harper

Excellent article. Many thanks, Dave. First class non-slip loop. On the subject, "Practical Fishing Knots", by Mark Sosin and Lefty Kreh (Batsford) is well worth accquiring a copy of.

T

Terry Ellis

I enjoyed that article. I have been using the grinner knot for many years now, but I would like to know what the optimum number of turns is. I usually use 7 for braid and 5 or 6 for momo. I also use the knotless knot when I want a hair rig but very occasionally, when tying this knot with braid I have had the knot just pull right out when I tighten it up. So despite Dave Chilton's assurances I put a dab of glue on the knot after tying. I use an Evostik type adhesive thinned down with a bit of solvent. Superglue is eventually broken down in water.

Carl Ward

Reaction score
Just returning to fishing after too many years away.Had forgotten my knots,but found this page.Heartfelt thanks.Have printed copy and saved pictures to disk.Thanks again.

Stuart Plumb

Reaction score
Well there you go............ No more excuses about the one that got away, jokes in the pub etc. Anyone with that excuse will just look a prize pillock. I will have to tell him about this site, won't I.

Thanks for the invalid info. As a new angler it will make a differance.

J

Jason Lennon

A good article except for one thing. Spade end knots.
I love using spade end hooks, I think they put far less strain on the line. I only use eyed hooks when I use smaller size hooks.
There are many out there who have never heard of the domhof knot and thats a shame because once converted to spade ends, it's hard to go back to eyed hooks!
You may say theres no need to teach people how to tie a spade end knot, because thats what hook tyers are for.
Well what happens if you forget to take it with you?
Personally I learned to tie spade end knots by hand, have done it for years now.
Someone gave me a hook tyer last week, and after using it a couple of times i threw it away - I can do it quicker, and better by hand!!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Thank's Dave for updating us all on fluorocarbon. As Dave says, PVDF is a different animal to nylon.

I have used a plain simple half blood knot for years now for tying on my flies - 4 turns no more and the knots do not shift; DON'T tuck it! A 3 turn water knot or the knotless knot for larger hooks is also good.

Old **** Walker, if he was alive today would be amazed that the knot he often derided - the half blood knot, is a darned sight better on flurocarbon than his Grinner. But fluorocarbon was not around in those days.

This business of fluorocarbon acting as a fibre optic in water when the sun is shining is true. Make sure ALL your fluorocarbon is sunk if you are fishing a fly on or close to the surface.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

Terry I use 4 turns on the grinner on the braid and mono I use. Check with the line you are using because with some lines a grinner is uselss. Krystonite being a classic where a grinner will pull through and you need to use a palomar.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Under the paragraph New Skills where Dave advises learning to tie knots in the dark.

I watched an angler doing just this last year. It was pitch black and as he was talking to me he was tying a hook on without enven looking at it. A skill well worth learning. And very impressive.

honslow

Reaction score
Very interesting stuff. I know that quite a few carp anglers simply use a two turn blood knot and blob it when using thick fluorocarbon lines for stiff rigs.
But what about the knotless knot? Keith Arthur recently swore he'd never use it again with fluorocarbon after having his line snap just above the hook's eye yet again. I have also had lower breaking strain fluorocarbons snap just above the hook's eye when using the knotless knot.
Is there any way around this, or do we simply have to use a four turn blood knot and a seperated piece of line for the hair?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Greg,

I am pretty sure that what is happening is that the open ring of the hook eye is causing the line to be cut when put under tension.

Make sure that when you tie the knotless knot that the line passes out of the right way of the hook eye.

The new hooks from Korum avoid this.