Cheap base mix

S

Silver fish

It is a while since I spent time tinkering with base mixes etc. I have got lazy over the years and tend to get someone else to roll my baits. Thing is you lose touch with what is what on the ingredient front as I have.

I am looking to create a seriously cheap base mix (?1 a kilo or less) which I will use for carp but it is primarily for barbel fishing. It needs to be cheap as it is likely to involve a lot of prebaiting. What I am looking for is a mix with a lot of inherent savoury/fishy smell. Barbel don't seem to be that fussy, but smelly baits with lots of natural meal type products work well. In the past I used a base mix which was mainly crushed trout pellet with a few spices and a binder and this worked really well. Anyone got any ideas for a recipe. Details of where I can buy the ingredients cheap would also be really helpfull.

S

stu black

I think that if it worked a few years ago, it will work just as well now. IMO flavours haven't changed at all in the last 10 years. Fish eat what fish eat.

People who know better come and shoot me down..

S

Silver fish

I will almost certainly be using crushed trout pellet and some fish meal in the base with a binder. I wondered if there were any other good savoury or spicy "meals" out there that I am not aware of which might add attraction to the bait.
Also does anyone know of a good supplier for crushed trout pellets and base mix ingredients.
CA I am aware of Quality Baits which is a bargain at around ?3 per kilo, I was after something even cheaper though!!

E

EC

I looked into this in some depth a few months back Silver!

Indeed there was an ongoing thread between mainly CA and myself and others also (any chance of a link CA?).

I was asking a similar question to yourself except I wanted the base mix to be cheap enough to form part of a grounbait mix too.

I looked into sourcing ingredients in some depth and found I could put something together which looked reasonable for about ?3 a kilo if I sourced the ingredients from different places. This included some ingredients which were a bit pricey though proteins etc, so leaving these out could drop the price (per kilo) somewhat!

S

Silver fish

Cheers Carp angler. Phew that was a long thread, but some good stuff in there and a good discussion on the general principles involved. I will certainly bear a lot of that in ind whilst working up my bait. The main differences I will be looking for will be possibly a coarse texture for barbel to give a quicker leak of for short session winter fishing and possibly a bit less subtle in inherent flavour. I want a bait that fairly reeks of natural ingredients as I have found these to be successful for Barbel and river Carp - hence the old spiced trout pellet base mix I used in the past.

I have been looking around various animal feed websites recently trying to source ingredients and found some interesting stuff. Kinnersley Brothers for instance do a wide range of meat and fish based meals including:
Liver meal
Lamb meal
Rabbit meal
meat meal
Greaves meal
Bone meal
Blood meal
Haemoglobin powder
Plasma powder.

All of these sound interesting - they also appeal from the point of view of putting together a bait for barbel and carp, knowing the barbels liking for meaty and savoury foods. I have no idea though as to their properties and how they would react in a bait. Maybe they have been tried and discarded by others for some reason?

I

Ian Whittaker

Smelly and attractive ingredient?Ask your local butcher to get you a bag of dry black pudding mix .

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Silver is fishing on line, arn't you fella?

Try Semolina (great carrier) and for your fish side of things, mash up Kiti-Kat (fish flavoured of course), for binding together try some wheat gluton. This apparently is a SH*T BAIT. But it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!