Insight Barbel Rod

A

Andy Davis

The 12FT MILTI SPEC BARBEL ROD RB (RECORD BREAKER) ?299.99 yes folks you to can own a rod just like the one Stuart Morgan used for his two record breaking 17lb fish only ?299.99
Is this a daft price and how many will they actually sell

B

Birds Nest

Before we all go moaning on, you have to look at the rod. I tomes with 3 FULL tops (to just quivers, 1.5lb, 1.75lb, and 2lb..(I think they were the curves)Now assuming that these are quality blanks, that must push the price right up. I'm all against costly tackle but I was looking at these this morning in my Coarse fisherman and thought "If I had 300 notes i might have one of them". What price, say, a top quality Carp rod with 3 tops offering a choice of test curves ?

N

Neil Wayte

Having been to Leslies and tried the rod under the guidance of the boss I must say it's one hell of a piece of kit and were I a serious barbel angler then I would consider it seriously.Tree tips and one butt it will cover all the situations you are likely to encounter.Remember that the new mega Bait runner from Diawa is ?300 bar a few pennies.

A

Andy Davis

Dave from Leslies rang me tonight, he lives fairly local to me and said "if you want a look come on over", and I will take him up on the offer !
to be honest, now I think about it you are getting 3 rods for the money. Perhaps they should sell the butt section and one tip section, wih the option to buy the other section, or am i just being tight ;-)

J

jeff burgess

Question: If I found a swim on the Ouse where I knew BIG barbel were, carefully baited it and waited for them to feed before introducing my baited hook and getting a take, would I land it on my John Wilson Avon Quiver which you can now get for under ?60 or would I need the Insight rod?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Jeff, I fully understand what you're saying but just like you can get from A to B in a Reliant Robin it's a bit more comfortable to get there in a Roller if you can afford it.

Which doesn't mean I endorse expensive tackle items but that some anglers are willing to pay it and therefore some manufacturers are willing to sell it.

If you're happy with your John Wilson Avon Quiver (and why not, it's a fine rod) then that's all that matters.

R

ron chant

I have used a John Willson medium Avon Quiver rods in the past,and found it more than aequate for Barbel, takeing many double fish over the years I used them.
A good friend used a very light glass quiver rod, made by Alan Brown it was orginally made for roaching and landed barbel to over 14lb on this little rod.
(so you pay your money and take your choice)

J

jeff burgess

I understand what you are saying about the 'Roller' Graham, but a newcomer or returner to fishing looking through a magazine would probably conclude that fishing is just too damned expensive and buy a set of golf clubs instead! How often do you see a review of sub ?50 match, carp or quiver rods? I would suggest that this figure is more like the budget of the average fisherman and isn't he the person that the angling press constantly says is missing from the bank these days?

D

Dave Johnson

The way i look at it is within every tackle manufacturers goods there is a range from budget to over the top money no object kit. You make your choice based on can you afford-will you use it-can i do without it-etc.
If my mate wants a top of the range-fine, good luck to him, it wont catch him more fish than me but he will be happier with it.
The same with cars as Graham says, why do Ford do an L,LX,GHIA......ETC
why do Shimano offer fixed spool reels from ?20 up to whatever, they all do the same thing.
Why have Sky digital, you can only watch one channel at a time-but its nice to have a choice is'nt it?