Ponds

A

Andy Davis

As part of the big house change and extension I am moving my pond.

So what do people keep, Roach perch ?

M

Michael Waters

Koi, who's one purpose in life is to die and cost me money

J

John Pleasance

Four 50p Ghost Koi,now about ten years old and three pounds in weight,two mirrors about the same and an ever varying amount of goldfish,several frogs,some newts,a model car and a pump filter which I will have to try and find before the spring arrives.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Koi make great livebait so I can help out there. If they won't fit in my livebait bucket I don't mind using them dead in two or three sections.

P

Paul Williams

Oi....bog of Mcwallet.....we've formed a syndicate!!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
You stick to the newts Brummie, I'll have the koi.

M

michael brown

Graham's got the right idea for koi,stick to proper fish in yer pond,roach,perch,tench,bream,crucian,chub,gudgeon,rudd,and a few mirrors.I helped my dad stock his new pond 5 years ago.We started with 2" roach and perch then gradually added a few of the other species.I find it amazing how so much natural life can establish itself in what's no more than a 'big puddle'.At the moment the perch go to 1lb,roach 12oz.,and the 4 mirrors are upto 3lb.(which were transparent when we bought them!).Great fun fishing on light tackle.Maybe that's why I havn't moved out yet!!

F

Fred Bonney

Rudd,tench,wild carp,couple of ghosts,did have some orfe & goldfish but the local heron liked their colour!
Put a stream in last year so Barbel next ;o)

T

The Monk

Got four ponds in the garden with a variety of fish in, sturgeon, loach, carp, cats, rudd, tench, sticklebacks, goldfish, common newt, have problems with herons, cats and fox though!

M

Michael Waters

I would be more than happy to oblige the next time a koi dies, however as I am always unsure what killed them I would be worried that by using them as deadbaits I might be spreading something that could have serious effects on the water concerned.

Also how would you mount a 6lb carp for pike!!!

D

Danny Lancaster

I had to throw away nearly 100 fish in the summer as a result of being wiped out by a severe case of fish leeches.

There were mirrors upto 2lb, golden orfe upto 1lb, golden tench and tench upto 1.5lb and loads of goldfish, crucians, rudd and gudgeon.

Absolutely gutted. Ive now bought my first home and am looking forward to getting the mini-digger out in the spring. I must be insane.

D

Danny Lancaster

Monk,

I have a .22 calibre "problem solver" if you would like a borrow. Call it payback for all the time Rolf Harris has a go at fishermen.

T

The Monk

Wouldnt dare Danny, I'm an ecologist, nice thought though mate, It is nice to see Herons and Fox in the garden, I just wish they stay off the fish diet